Your injuries ?

Ethan8

Elite Member
Spill the beans? what have you injured BBin and how did it happen? does it still prevent you from certain movements? could it of been avoided?

Genuinely interested as I think it could help us all.

Cheers!

I should start actually ,before BBin but exercise I related I severly strained my patella tendon cycling up one of those hills with % gradient sign on ,limped the 20miles home in low gear ,rested it ,it's never come back.

. . .&more recent, a forearm strain that won't go cause I'm a dick and won't rest long enough ,nothing major for me .

My old training partner ripped the actual meat of both! of his tri's doing a french press ,I was next to him ,3rd rep ,wasn't so heavy yet and it sounded like velcro tearing.

The doc said he couldn't believe the tendons held but the meat of the long head shifted down ,both arms welled with blood.

He's ok now but no OH work again. I've never done that exercise ,made me feel proper sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
RC from close grip bench! Partner went for a walky during my second set! I had 120 on the bar and all i remember is an excruciating pain in my left RC as if someone had stuck a blade in it! The bar dropped to the left and then the right but i managed to save my face!

Never again... dont do any CG Bench Pressing anymore and also it restricts my BB pressing..

Also had a funny strain in my right forearm tendon.... never figured out what caused it, but i continued training for many months, while icing and massaging my forearm at home every day! Eventually i had a long break from training and havent had it come back!

As for the RC well it comes and goes as it pleases!

Lesson learned: rest does wonders for injuries!

Fucking leg popped squatting after jabbing! Lol

Fucked my lower back about a year ago deadlifting. Fine now though

Had the strains etc like most people I guess but the only pretty severe and long term one was a trapped nerve in my right delt which happened about 27/28 years ago.

I'd had some great grounding for about a year or so lifting at an old school BAWLA place so was pretty 'au fait' with technique and what I was capable of, the only thing was it shut down for the 6 week holiday as it was based at a school, so I started going to a proper basement 'spit and sawdust' type place, f*ckin loved it there and the first time I'd actually seen close up proper competing bodybuilders, anyhow, one day a lads partner didn't turn up so I did a few bits with him, first time I ever did side lateral raises but still went to town on it, next day I couldn't lift my arm and spent the next 9 months or so walking my fingers up a wall ( on the Docs advice) to try and keep it moving.

Eventually and gradually it eased up and still feel it today but it taught me a very important lesson and one I stick to even to this day and that is - "no matter how strong, big or experienced you are (or think you are), if you change exercises or even the angle that you're used to, you still need to build up to the bigger weights instead of just going and hammering it because you can lift it ".

Simples.

last year, got tendonitis above my left knee. Never seen swelling like it, or felt pain like it before either. Couldnt bend my knee or anything. Was working away so couldnt treat it aswell, and was low height work so was on my knees alot, ouch!

did it by taking too much gear, which weakens tendons, and squating/leg pressing too much.

Started to get some discomfort but thought it was a dry knee joint, so added alittle deca to my high test cycle. Carried on training through it with heavy lifts, then two days after a leg day i woke up and my knee had swollen to near 3x the size. Could press my thumb on the area and it would take ages for it to reform, had loads of fluid trapped.

was about 2 weeks before i had time to see my sports physio and get the swelling down. Ever since then ive not done heavy on leg press or squats in fear of it happening again. I was close to straining my right tendon earlier this year too, but i know it was time to back off, it slowly recovered.

Snapped my ECU tendon in my left wrist last year which has been a real bitch and lead to tendonitis which still aggrevates me. I am still unable to do many exercises which put my wrist in a certain position (lateral raises, hammer curls are two examples) although it is slowly improving.

I did it helping a friend of mine at a powerlifting competition last November. We were loading the bar during his warm ups for squat and they had these big old rusty 50kg plates. I was about to load one on one side of the bar and the plate slipped in my hands and pretty much snapped my wrist to one side. I felt the ligament snap like an elastic band.

Also have a mild case of chondromalicia in my right patella/knee cap. This is more of a repetitive injury which I've gotten over the years and was largely due to the fact I have very flat feet and wasn't wearing the right footwear for leg training. If you have no arch in your feet then your feet tend to pronate when squatting/leg pressing which creates a rotational shearing force on the knee joint and over time the cartilage wears down and blisters. I have to make sure I warm up my knees properly before any kind of squat or leg work so that they are well lubricated with synovial fluid. I still get a bit of inflammation from time to time and I may have to get the cartilage trimmed down at some point to smooth out the surfaces of the patella but as long as my knees are warm it's not a big issue.

I have tweaked my lower back a few times and a few other niggles, but nothing serious.

I also get issues with my pec tendons if I do flat barbell bench with a full ROM.

These days, if I lift over a certain weight, I stop the bar about 2 or 3 inches from my chest which limits the amount of stretch on the tendons. I'm not built for the bench press as I have quite long arms (despite being a hobbit) and in essence when I do a full range bench press it's the same as what benching with a cambered bar would be like for many people.

I don't think the bench press is the safest exercise anyway and I've known quite a few people who have either torn their pecs or busted their rotator cuff. For many people it's not a question of will it happen, it's when.

The guys I know who do well with it are usually structurally well suited to it and when they bring the bar down to their chest, their elbows are usually at like a perfect 90 degree angle which takes away much of the risks involved and increases the leverage (needless to say these people are usually very good at pressing).

With many people though, including myself - to bring the bar all the way down it requires their elbows to travel quite a way back behind them which obviously means the shoulders rotate more and the tendons are stretched further which leaves you in a pretty vunerable position.

I guess if you have a massive, thick chest and upper back it will help reduce this issue which is probably why many pro's still like the bench press even if they aren't naturally suited to it mechaniclly.

Never had any bad ones, i'm pretty hard wearing it seems.

Saying that, half of you have been training longer than i've been on the planet so i guess iv'e got a long way to go after only 4.5/5 years, ive lost count.

Left delt has been bothering me for a while, about 5 months now, the strengths there in my shoulders but i cant get the push so it's holding my weights back, kicked in when i came off deca last time and has never got any better. Been intending to see a physio so i'll sort that out before i go back on.

I'm hoping a load of npp and dbol will cover it either way, so i can get back to pushing a bit harder on the pressing when i get back on.... literally.

Had a couple of bouts of tendonitis after arm wrestling dick heads in town on nights out, holds back my pressing... i've taken to just punching people in the face who ask me to arm wrestle them now, saves on the 4 week lay off... Win.

Never injured myself purely BBing - but plenty of injuries that I have to work around, or that have been/can be made worse in the gym if Im not careful -

1 Broke sternum and 2 ribs kick-boxing - tend not do heavy front squats now as it did heal evenly and the top of my chest is not symetrical... could just be force of habit by now, but dont like to stick too much weight across upper chest

2 Damaged lower spine (a fight with the gentlemen of the Metropolitan Constabulary 25 years ago, lol!) - comes and goes really. Some days its fine, and I can carry on as usual - other days it grumbles at me and squatting and deadlifting are off the menu. Learned this the hard way - ignore the grumbling pain and carry on as usual will put me flat on my back in bed for a week or two. So my spine decides my back and leg routines, not me...

3 Broke left knee (fight, many years ago). Its fcuked up on my a couple of times since through squatting, and sometimes makes some rather alarming clicks and crunches when going heavy. I ALWAYS wrap it now... not to do so is inviting trouble...

4 broken bones in both hands (several different occasions) - have cr@p grip strength (or is that just an excuse). Always use straps for heavy pulls, since my lats can pull a lot more than my grip can hold

Never had a serious training injury. Back forearm and left shoulder issues are on going.

Worst training related pain I've had was what I believe to be jabbing near a nerve and oil sitting on it. Pain in my knee and hip if resting made sleeping near impossible.

Had three keyholes on my knee although was from football before I started bb'ing but certainly doesn't help with training.

Rotator cuff on both sides from dumbell presses, lifting the weight up and down.

Most major injury was this year back in may, slipped two discs in lower back deadlifting after a lad at the gym made me laugh whilst in the middle of final set - still rehabbing that.

Nothing really major, both elbow joints play up after a while when pressing or doing pull ups, dips. I always warm up and stretch.

Some really bad pip from injections has prob been my worst. 2ml of 200mg primo in right quad, new site. Couldnt walk for a week!

Standard strains, pulls etc. But the only major one was a complete bicep rupture last year. Had it re-attached and TBH I would never know I'd done it now. Slight loss of strength in supination which I notice slightly during DB curls but otherwise it's not been an issue at all since fully recovered

Standard strains, pulls etc. But the only major one was a complete bicep rupture last year. Had it re-attached and TBH I would never know I'd done it now. Slight loss of strength in supination which I notice slightly during DB curls but otherwise it's not been an issue at all since fully recovered

Seen one of those happen whilst spotting someone, not pretty at all. Glad to hear's fully recovered mate!

Just for anyone with RC problems, make sure you spend 5 mins warming them up properly for chest/shoulders and spend a couple mins strengthening them once a week - helps no end.

Mine was proximal rather than distal, hence why I don't think I get constant day to day reminders of it

Back