Abs at 50?

WV0224

Administrator
A friend has his 50th birthday in six months. He wants to gift himself “abs on display” for his 50th. Starting with about 20% bodyfat and moderate strength training background. Anyone done it here? Is it possible?

It’s possible but could be a lot harder with declining Testosterone levels at that age and skin condition being less forgiving for some.
I suppose it depends how visible he wants them. I’m guessing he’s natural so I’d make sure my protein was high and really hammer the cardio while being prepared to go to some dark places calorie wise. I know the last time I did it at 39 I ended up on 1400-1700 calories the last 6 weeks while hitting 25000 steps pd and training for 60+ minutes 5 days a week all on 70g of carbs pre and post training. I went from 130kg to 100 in just over 6 months. The last 6 weeks were hell though.
There are others on here who don’t need those extremes though.

It’s possible but could be a lot harder with declining Testosterone levels at that age and skin condition being less forgiving for some.
I suppose it depends how visible he wants them. I’m guessing he’s natural so I’d make sure my protein was high and really hammer the cardio while being prepared to go to some dark places calorie wise. I know the last time I did it at 39 I ended up on 1400-1700 calories the last 6 weeks while hitting 25000 steps pd and training for 60+ minutes 5 days a week all on 70g of carbs pre and post training. I went from 130kg to 100 in just over 6 months. The last 6 weeks were hell though.
There are others on here who don’t need those extremes though.
Thanks. I did suggest him 1800 calories but 1400-1700 is pretty dark indeed… :sad:
He has started 60 mins of strength training 5 days a week but not sure if the cardio is enough. I guess I will ask him to push hard on cardio and go ultra low on carbs to begin with and see where we go from there.

Thanks. I did suggest him 1800 calories but 1400-1700 is pretty dark indeed… :sad:
He has started 60 mins of strength training 5 days a week but not sure if the cardio is enough. I guess I will ask him to push hard on cardio and go ultra low on carbs to begin with and see where we go from there.
With a whole 6 months to go and that amount of activity he should probably be a lot higher in calories to start with but be prepared to bring it down as needed. I think I started out nearer 3000 with carbs about 150-200 then gradually adjusted as needed but we’re all very different. There’s guys on here dieting on more than I bulk on lol. If he’s at 1800 now he’s got nowhere to go other than more and more cardio or starvation if things slow down. I’d start at 2500 and see what weights doing on a weekly basis. If it’s static or going up take 200 out. If it’s going down a lb or 2 stay where you are till it stops before adjusting cardio or diet if that makes sense.

With a whole 6 months to go and that amount of activity he should probably be a lot higher in calories to start with but be prepared to bring it down as needed. I think I started out nearer 3000 with carbs about 150-200 then gradually adjusted as needed but we’re all very different. There’s guys on here dieting on more than I bulk on lol. If he’s at 1800 now he’s got nowhere to go other than more and more cardio or starvation if things slow down. I’d start at 2500 and see what weights doing on a weekly basis. If it’s static or going up take 200 out. If it’s going down a lb or 2 stay where you are till it stops before adjusting cardio or diet if that makes sense.
Makes sense. He is a medium sized guy (80kgs). So I think the idea of starting with 2500 and adjust as we go along is a good one.

i'm 50 in august and fancy doing the same but not sure if i can be arsed ha ha

I'm 50 and achieved it without counting calories, it's not rocket science and no need to over complicate it.

Train hard, cut out sugars, low carbs and fast (I'll fast for 18 hrs, sleep included twice a week) plenty of red meat, fish, avocado, feta etc etc. I don't drink very often so that probably helps. 20240109_224145.jpg

Not the best photo but not bad for 51 this year

Agree with s man. He has 6 months to achieve it. In addition to strength training, he will need to progress cardio. It would be easier for him if he knew his maintenance calories currently. I don't calorie count, but most bodybuilders that diet do now. Then he needs to reduce maintenance calories by 10% to 20%. Around 300 calories probably. Some drop 500 calories as this equates to 1lb a week reduction supposedly. He keeps up the strength training and adds in cardio too. I would say as skin is mentioned here and the fact he 50 years old, to go slowly with the weight reduction as skin takes longer to retract. I gather with training he is good shape, as if the skin has been stretched for a long time it loses it's elasticity, and he may end up with lose skin that will not retract any further. This may not be the case with your friend, but thought I would mention it. One guy I know was overweight and he's done very well but has lose skin currently and he is only in his 30's. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I’m 49 and mine are starting to appear. Not sure what the relevance of him turning 50 is to be honest. What is relevant though is when he’s turning 50. Id guess he’s got to lose around 5% so more than doable if he’s got a few months on hand.

Attachments

• 7654B53D-54E4-440C-AF96-B473ABE2C8FB.jpeg
    7654B53D-54E4-440C-AF96-B473ABE2C8FB.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 19
I’m 49 and mine are starting to appear. Not sure what the relevance of him turning 50 is to be honest. What is relevant though is when he’s turning 50. Id guess he’s got to lose around 5% so more than doable if he’s got a few months on hand.
TBH I read it more as someone who trains a bit but nothing serious, has never been lean and is natural so it’s a little different to the way a lot of us react as we know our bodies what to eat and how to get lean etc. Added to that I’d guess that 20% figure is way off. It’s a different ball game at 50 if you’ve never done it, are natural and don’t have much mass. You see people ending up looking like marathon runners if they’re not careful.

I’d say yours are more than starting to appear. Bloody good look that.

Yours are looking pretty good mate
I guess 50th birthday is just something to target that’s all, just gives a tangible deadline.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will be honest, he has never had it before so without some drastic measures it’s going to be difficult. The point about starting to look like a marathon runner is also relevant, I know someone who lost 4/5 kgs of muscle mass in one year. It can go quickly if not careful.
Any of you tried fat burners?

Yours are looking pretty good mate
I guess 50th birthday is just something to target that’s all, just gives a tangible deadline.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will be honest, he has never had it before so without some drastic measures it’s going to be difficult. The point about starting to look like a marathon runner is also relevant, I know someone who lost 4/5 kgs of muscle mass in one year. It can go quickly if not careful.
Any of you tried fat burners?
I haven't tried fat burners but have a free booklet off Men's Health. They tested fat burners/fat loss pills and said the best was Optimum Nutrition CLA Softgels, saying CLA is famous for it's fat burning potential. Other brands produce fat burners but with different ingredients.

Last edited:
Back