How do I figure my diet out?

GymRatGresham

Elite Member
Right, my calories required on a Active day are 4179.

On a resting day are 2458.

So for a lean bulk do I need to be dividing 4179 into protein, carbs and Fats right?

What percentage is best for;

Lean bulk

Bulk

Cut

Any help would be brilliant?

Well the TDEE calcalators IMO are not to accurate, most over exagerate how many calories are burnt when training also.

Many different ways/ratios you could do but its best finding a method that works for yourself and is sustainable.

So could do (example purposes only)

1.Most meals pro/carb (fats trace whats in the meat etc)
2. all mealsl pre workout all pro/fat and then most of carbs intra/pwo etc.
3. a standard 40/40/20 split on the macros then adjust from there after seeing what happens in first 2 - 4 weeks.
4. 30% pro, 50% carbs, 20% fat would bring carbs higher than protein, some like that

Just have to try a way, stick with it to assess how you respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking if a 40/40/20. But I wasn't sure if that's be lean.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this. I've never really looking into it.

As far as I can gather carbs and proteins are the building blocks for muscle. And you just need a little fat to stay healthy really.

I'll go with the 40/40/20 to start with. As it seems the easiest to work out.

Split into 5 meals throughout the day?

Would it be worth lowering the carbs towards night or is this something I'll have to figure out?

Aye, apparently that's what I need according to a body stay machine thing.

I'm 98kilo. Does that sound to much?

That's a lot of calories.

Would start from 2500 calories and take weight and mirror checks every 10 days and adjust up and down by 100 calories depending on goal.

What's the goal?

Danny's post above is good so many different ways. me personally don't eat a lot of protein would rather have more carbs, its all down to the individual and the diet being something you can stick to 90% of the time, we all have a our slip ups its just keeping them to a minimum. Progression comes from consistency. 

Right. I'll start from 2500 and see where I go from there.

Goals.

Size, I want to be as big as I can.

I'd like to stay fairly lean while I do it.

I think I'd like to be on stage eventually. But I won't know until I've done it once.

Right. I'll start from 2500 and see where I go from there.

Goals.

Size, I want to be as big as I can.

I'd like to stay fairly lean while I do it.

I think I'd like to be on stage eventually. But I won't know until I've done it once.

Go for it mate see what it does to your weight and looks every week, 10 days, fortnight and adjust. You will soon get a feel for it.

I can only echo the above.

It's taken me years to work out how to eat and when to eat and it's so far away from what it should be if you go by the weight stats and breakdowns from it.

Worked out over time that for me all carbs are in the 1st meal of the day and pwo/ppwo only and also discovered I don't need an extreme level of protein, 1-1.5g per lb of lean body weight is plenty.

As said above start at 2500.  Break it down even through the day and see how you fair.  If you don't like the results  then move your ratio's round and timings for macros at different points of the day before you increase or decrease anything.

I'm not a big fan of calculators or nutrient micromanaging....

When someone calculates his/her metabolic rate and caloric needs with a formula like the Harris Benedict equation or the Mifflin equation, those calculations assume stasis. That is, the number that results for resting metabolic rate

Back