Vitamins May Boost Cancer And Heart Disease Risk

Mass Monster

Elite Member
We all know that we should get all the vitamins and minerals we need from our diet, but if not possible take a supplement to top up what we're lacking yeah? Surely if we over dose the body would automatically process the correct amount required and discard the rest?

Experts have warned that taking more than the recommended daily dose of over-the-counter vitamins could increase the risk of developing cancer and heart disease by up to 20%.

A 10-year study into the effect of vitamin supplements on thousands of people found they can do "more harm than good".

The study was led by the University of Colorado Cancer Centre and raises questions about the market for shop-bought vitamins, which was worth an estimated

DR Hilary dismissed this study today on TV.

Said the majority who would most likely take them would have a poor diet and lifestyle and use vitamins as an insurance policy.

So with them lifestyles entail the people would be more at risk for diseases and such forth due to lifestyles not the vitamins.

Said vitamins can aid and help in a balanced healthy lifestyle.

Picked the study apart tbh.

This has been debated for decades.

I don't think a basic multi is a bad investment as long as you don't go nuts with the dosing, but these days I generally prefer some kind of greens/fruit & veg powder rather than a multi vitamin.

Most multi vitamins don't contain a full spectrum of vitamin E, have folic acid rather than natural folate, don't often contain real vitamin A - just beta carotene, have non chelated minerals and are full of fillers and binders.

I think you also have to bare in mind that a lot of the issues here stem from the fact that people rarely know where their deficiencies are - so in a lot of cases it's easy to overload on one thing whilst being deficient in another.

Also, most of this research isn't really applicable to athletes, bodybuilders or people who are very active.  If you're using your muscles more than the average, sedentary person, then there is a higher demand for certain nutrients.  For example, every muscle in your body is fired by a chemical reaction between neurons called the sodium-potassium pump.   So naturally, if you're active you have a higher demand for certain minerals - sodium, potassium, magnesium...etc. than your average joe who sits in an office all day.

I complete agree with Dr Hillary - I think a lot of people are turning to supplements in view of making up for poor food choices/lifestyle.

Back