Has 'the Art' Of Bodybuilding Been Lost?

CS86

Top Contributor
As some of you may be aware I'm currently prepping for my first contest in 10 weeks' time, entering a classic class.

When the classic class first formed a few years ago apart from a bit of opposition from the odd meathead it was welcomed with open arms and hailed as a greatcthing for bodybuilding; a more 'attainable', 'streamlined' physique promoting a 'healthy' look, nothing extreme in terms of size or conditioning, onus on shape,proportions and presentation,harking back to the guys from decades ago...

As we know classic class quickly strayed from this and has pretty much turned into an out-and-out conditioning contest and this pisses me off! Not because I can't/won't achieve great condition, but because I'm an idealist and a bodybuilding romantic and imo sick condition is NOT WHAT THE CLASSIC CLASS SHOULD BE ABOUT.

Everyone has their own interpretation of bbing and to me (what attracted me to it beyond just being tired of being skinny as a teenager and wanting more muscle to impress women) it's an intriguing mix of sport and art...sort of like figure skating or gymnastics. Don't care how pretentious or airy-fairy that may sound to some of you. That's just my interpretation.

Unfortunately to me the 'physique' aspect of bbing completely overtook the performance and presentation part...great size abd great condition became the markers and imo the art of bodybuilding, the skill of presenting your physique (hiding your weaknesses,maximising your strengths,putting time and practice into presenting your physique in an exciting, creative way) has been lost. This is obviously most evident in the upper echelons with the big boys but even the classic class which was set up to sort of combat this seems to have succumbed.

Does anyone agree or see bodybuilding this way? What are your thoughts on this?

Posted using TMuscle App

As some of you may be aware I'm currently prepping for my first contest in 10 weeks' time, entering a classic class.

When the classic class first formed a few years ago apart from a bit of opposition from the odd meathead it was welcomed with open arms and hailed as a greatcthing for bodybuilding; a more 'attainable', 'streamlined' physique promoting a 'healthy' look, nothing extreme in terms of size or conditioning, onus on shape,proportions and presentation,harking back to the guys from decades ago...

As we know classic class quickly strayed from this and has pretty much turned into an out-and-out conditioning contest and this pisses me off! Not because I can't/won't achieve great condition, but because I'm an idealist and a bodybuilding romantic and imo sick condition is NOT WHAT THE CLASSIC CLASS SHOULD BE ABOUT.

Everyone has their own interpretation of bbing and to me (what attracted me to it beyond just being tired of being skinny as a teenager and wanting more muscle to impress women) it's an intriguing mix of sport and art...sort of like figure skating or gymnastics. Don't care how pretentious or airy-fairy that may sound to some of you. That's just my interpretation.

Unfortunately to me the 'physique' aspect of bbing completely overtook the performance and presentation part...great size abd great condition became the markers and imo the art of bodybuilding, the skill of presenting your physique (hiding your weaknesses,maximising your strengths,putting time and practice into presenting your physique in an exciting, creative way) has been lost. This is obviously most evident in the upper echelons with the big boys but even the classic class which was set up to sort of combat this seems to have succumbed.

Does anyone agree or see bodybuilding this way? What are your thoughts on this?

Posted using TMuscle App
So you havnt even competed yet n you already winging about a class you have chosen to do ??

Look at it this way. To be competitive you have to improve. How can u improve in a weight restricted class ?? Get leaner right ?

Or would u prefer to see the same people presenting the same physique each year ??? No entertainment there

To some degree it has lost the art it once had back in the day. However, like everything and every sport it evolves and develops and new drugs and training methods are created and introduced. IMO classic, like physique, is a great category for those who either arent prepared to push the gear as hard as some guys or is for that person who enjoys bodybuilding and training and wants to step on stage and have some fun.

Both classic and physique definitely are a great platform for the taller dude that wants to compete or even just someone whos got it on there bucket list. Most guys over 6ft would probably need to enter super heavy weight category or at the very least be as close to 100kg as possible and do heavies, some people might not want to get there physique that big nor do the things to get it there and in condition.

Going back to one point you made, everyone has there own interpretation on bodybuilding. Some people its about being a freak, others about having big gym lifts, looking good, being shredded, feeling good, the old school, the new school. Bodybuilding can be seen as your own personal journey, so enjoy the journey, get your ass on stage and flex those glutes

Going back to one point you made, everyone has there own interpretation on bodybuilding. Some people its about being a freak, others about having big gym lifts, looking good, being shredded, feeling good, the old school, the new school. Bodybuilding can be seen as your own personal journey, so enjoy the journey, get your ass on stage and flex those glutes
Outstandingly put.
J

To some degree it has lost the art it once had back in the day. However, like everything and every sport it evolves and develops and new drugs and training methods are created and introduced. IMO classic, like physique, is a great category for those who either arent prepared to push the gear as hard as some guys or is for that person who enjoys bodybuilding and training and wants to step on stage and have some fun.
I think we need to be a little careful about viewing history through a rose tint. People are always and have always been looking for an edge or something that will get them an advantage.

I have no idea whether arnie was the first to use ballet to enhance his posing but I'm damn sure that people before him would have been searching for something else that helps them with posing, for training, for feats of strength etc.

I'm not sure whether I agree with the "those who either arent prepared to push the gear as hard as some guys". Maybe the chemicals are a little different for the shredded freaks compared to the mass monsters.

J

It should be about who can get the freakiest, as in every sport its about evolving. For me id rather be healthy look decent, and compete in a physique class. I dont think many people look at the guys in the olympia today though and honestly say i want to look like those guys, whereas back in the 70's im sure every guy wanted arnies physique

So you havnt even competed yet n you already winging about a class you have chosen to do ??

Look at it this way. To be competitive you have to improve. How can u improve in a weight restricted class ?? Get leaner right ?

Or would u prefer to see the same people presenting the same physique each year ??? No entertainment there

@Hilly genuine question...why are you so negative and critical in some of your posts? You come off as bordering on bitter sometimes.

Re my OP...yes I have chosen to enter a classic class as my first comp and yes I have criticised the recent trend of judging in it. And???? Am i not entitled to have a bbing ideal, an interpretation of it? Am I not allowed to pursue it irrespective of my chosen class?

Of course I'm not going to lie I'm a v honest bloke...I jumped into this 2 weeks ago on a whim (part of what makes it all so exciting and appealing to me tbh) and at a little over 10 weeks out I'm thinking 'ok...I havent given myself time to be the best conditioned guy in my class...but tbh it's a shame this is the chief judging criteria as in my eyes this class and bbing in general should put more emphasis on presentation...'

I was basically just airing my thoughts on the present state of bbing out loud. Mentioned classic class few times in my OP but my opinion isn't limited to classic, it's directed at bbing in general.

You said how is someone in a weight restricted class supposed to improve without getting leaner? Like I said...presentation!

Posted using TMuscle App

@Hilly genuine question...why are you so negative and critical in some of your posts? You come off as bordering on bitter sometimes.

Re my OP...yes I have chosen to enter a classic class as my first comp and yes I have criticised the recent trend of judging in it. And???? Am i not entitled to have a bbing ideal, an interpretation of it? Am I not allowed to pursue it irrespective of my chosen class?

Of course I'm not going to lie I'm a v honest bloke...I jumped into this 2 weeks ago on a whim (part of what makes it all so exciting and appealing to me tbh) and at a little over 10 weeks out I'm thinking 'ok...I havent given myself time to be the best conditioned guy in my class...but tbh it's a shame this is the chief judging criteria as in my eyes this class and bbing in general should put more emphasis on presentation...'

I was basically just airing my thoughts on the present state of bbing out loud. Mentioned classic class few times in my OP but my opinion isn't limited to classic, it's directed at bbing in general.

You said how is someone in a weight restricted class supposed to improve without getting leaner? Like I said...presentation!

Posted using TMuscle App
If you tore your pec all to shit you would be negative too!
Seeing that he can bust his balls and still lose to some dude not as good because that guy has no tears.
Plus when you have been on forums as long as Hilly and I have been you become more blunt......

Of course conditioning needs to be there.
Otherwise it would just be mens physique in a thong "oh he has a prettier flow and better hair so he's the winner".

I have always loved the idea classic.
However it is biased towards the taller man.
The weight to height ratio allows for taller men to simply come in bigger.
Hence why rarely does the short class ever win the overall against the tall.

I agree - my point entirely. I offered up my own personal interpretation of bbing and offered others to do the same :)

Posted using TMuscle App
And that is what stimulates debate :)

TBH I am less interested in who wins a particular category, moreso the categories themselves encourage people into the sport and to try new stuff.

The weight limits encouraging people to push the boundaries of shredditude are quite inspirational even if I know that I cannot achieve the same.

I'm all for anything that encourages people into the sport and to gain success and recognition if they seek it for their success in their respective journeys.

J

If you tore your pec all to shit you would be negative too!
Seeing that he can bust his balls and still lose to some dude not as good because that guy has no tears.
Plus when you have been on forums as long as Hilly and I have been you become more blunt......

Of course conditioning needs to be there.
Otherwise it would just be mens physique in a thong "oh he has a prettier flow and better hair so he's the winner".

I have always loved the idea classic.
However it is biased towards the taller man.
The weight to height ratio allows for taller men to simply come in bigger.
Hence why rarely does the short class ever win the overall against the tall.

@Con but the shorter guy losing out to the taller guy is not a phenomenon restricted to classic...Gaspari, Labrada, Priest et al and countless amateurs have all suffered due to lack of height.

Part of the reason I don't like physique (apart from the shorts) is the lame posing...most physique guys seem to be in it not for a love of bbing or competition or 'the art' as I see it but more of a chance to flash their teeth, show off their hair, show everyone how good looking they are and hope they can land a magazine photoshoot of the back of it. @TheProducer no disrespect youve already spoken of your desire to progress into bbing classes and just saw physique as a stepping stone...not like multitime physique competitors who seem to view it as a small-time business op and maybe don't do it out of true passion.

Re Hilly's pec tear...Im aware of it...but I didnt tear his fucking pec and neither did anyone else on this board so don't get the whole Victor Meldrew demeanour he has going on towards others

Posted using TMuscle App

Posted using TMuscle App
Bitter about what lol? I competed a
In classics n did ok. Looked great so im told lots compliments yada yada

Several in this thread openly agree with my reply

Im negative to posts I see as sillu n require a short response. Im not here to baby things down.

Posted using TMuscle App
Of course u are. As am I about the class and just as much about your response here

Back