Am I Eating Enough?

I'm 32/M 5' 9" and 175lbs. I recently gave up smoking and got back to the gym for the first time since 2020. I have had a PT for the past year but only 1 session and week and maybe a run or two per week,

What I'm finding now is that after training, particularly legs, I am usually feeling really tired and irritable for up to a week afterwards, if I push myself, this can often lead a really low mood as well, which is annoying as fitness is supposed to help with stuff like that.

I'm started to think I must not be eating enough as I have been losing weight as well but I've been tracking my food religiously for about 2 months, I set my daily intake at around 2200 cal but almost always go over by about 200 as I get so hungry but 2400 calories seems pretty high for a guy that's just trying to get back into shape, not bulk.

Macros are 276g Carbs / 167g Protein / 59g Fat but most of the time I go way over on fat and about 50-75% carb target.

I generally drink around 5 litres of water per day, have one decaf coffee in the morning and sleep around 8 hours per night. Diet is pretty balanced (could get more veg in) and I take a decent multi-vit just to fill any gaps in.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar and whether the answer was just to eat more?

More cals overall or more carbs? And surely depends if she's bulking/what her activity level is.

More cals overall or more carbs? And surely depends if she's bulking/what her activity level is.

She is gaining weight on purpose yes and is active.
I am too, 5'8 92kg and 3700 cals a day.
You need to eat more food. Especially carbs.

You’ve answered your own question when you said you’re losing weight. If you’re losing weight you aren’t eating enough. Add a few more carbs a week till your weight stays static then you’ll know your rough maintenance for future reference.

Yeah I thought it would be, just wondering if there was something I was missing. I've been 170lbs for the last 2 years. I was losing weight before I went back down the gym but seem to have gone back to 170 but then I did add creatine last week so it could be water weight.

I'll up my intake to 2400 for a week and see what happens.

Yeah I thought it would be, just wondering if there was something I was missing. I've been 170lbs for the last 2 years. I was losing weight before I went back down the gym but seem to have gone back to 170 but then I did add creatine last week so it could be water weight.

I'll up my intake to 2400 for a week and see what happens.

A whole week? You'll get fat :lol:

As others have said you are not eating enough. You shouldn't feel bad for days. You are just starting back again, are you overdoing it? Work your way back into it over time.

As the saying goes if you are losing weight unintentionally, you are not eating enough, I've been there too.

Back