Bcaa supplementation around the workout

xjpx

Cardiff Sports Nutrition Rep
Bcaa supplementation around the workout.

Supplementation around the workout is an ever increasing area for discussion. This article focuses upon pre workout supplementation and the benefits that arise through the use of various amino acids and their co-factors.

Branch chain amino acids are considered the building blocks of the muscle - they consist of leucine, isoleucine and valine.
Leucine helps provide support to lean muscle tissue aswell as providing energy- specifically during training, furthermore leucine actively opens a pathway known as Mtor which stimulates muscle protein synthesis.

Isoluecine- helps play a role in the production of heamaglobin which is obviously essential to any athlete as this carries oxygen to the working muscles.

Valine- this plays a role in aiding the immune system aswell as detoxification of nitrogen in the liver

Bcaa's are the three of the eight essential amino acids that the body cannot produce itself, therefore must be acquired through food to allow for maximal muscle growth to occur. Bcaa's are considered to be the most important amino acids for growth as they account for 35percent of muscle mass. Furthermore they form antibodies and carry oxygen throughout the body. Of the three amino acids Leucine is considered to be the most anabolic, this is due to ability to induce and insulin response. Insulin is accountable for the uptake of circulating blood sugar into the muscle and liver aswell as the uptake of amino acids. Due to the importance of Leucine it is needed in higher percentages compared to the other aminos to allow for optimal protein synthesis to occur, this is due to leucine being a limiting nutrient.

What are the actual benefits of ingesting bcaas pre workout?

During exercise the body is in a catabolic state, at this stage protein synthesis is halted, however through the ingestion of bcaas protein synthesis continues which will aid in the recovery and repair of the muscle which obviously results in a larger muscle occurring quicker.

Bcaas on their own are efficient at their job, however their efficiency can be increased through the combining of certain vitamins. I have used numerous products from different companies and In this case I feel at the moment Allmax's aminocore has the slight edge as it provides those co factors that its competitors lack. These include 7 energy releasing b vitamins from b3, and two types each of B6, 9 and 12 and fatigue reducing Alpha Ketoisocaproic Acid.

There are alternatives to aminocore that will do an excellent job, these are scivation xtend which does have the added benefits of l glutamine and then alri's chained reaction which is equally a very high quality product. All these are available at the moment from Sports Nutrition & Bodybuilding Supplements UK

Jordan Peters, Bsc

copy and paste? no tx talk in there so you didn't write that! lol

Reactions: WWR
Is this the one you wrote for My Protein Jordan?

Edit - Obv not with other companies mentioned, you did say that though somewhere? Or did i make that up?

LOL copy and paste no thank u JIm, that is my article...I will be writing them every couple of weeks for the site. Has been a while since I wrote anything oF any worth but once I get my thinkIn cap back on and sign upto somewhere I can reference my work I'll aim to start pushjng out some decent stuFF That people can use straight away and better their own training and nutritionAnd no that isn't the myprotien one, that is on hold at moment as solely writing for SImon here on test muscle

I won't apologise and I know I will get some stick for this.

Despite it being a well written and informative article I can't take it seriously, or maybe for me it just loses some credibility when there is a link to the author's sponsor (where it just so happens you can by the aforementioned BCAA) at the end of the piece.

I'm not trying to piss on anyones fire or be negative; it's purely just my take on things.

JME's post on how not to win friends or influence people :)

the ending is irrelevant to the content, naturally im going to want u to buy from my sponsor but tht is neither here nor there in regards to u taking the article seriously....judge it on its content and if u never knew anythin previously about bcaas that u know understand them to a fairly decent level and can apply their use to ur physique goals......

Reactions: JB
Yea Jordan now that I know it's just an advert for bcaa's i dnt believe a word of it and it's now worthless! Delete it now! You son of a bitch! Lol!

@xjpx never used bcaa's always thort a p shake would be fine

may consider this on future

cheers for info , learnt alot

Jordan,

If for example one was dieting and was dropping there protien intake to minimal levels to merely maintain current muscle mass, would it make sense to drop all protien shakes and merely supplement bcaas pre and post workout?

Most people consume (I would assume) 150-250g of pro through real food and then bump up with shakes as need be or as they feel necessary.

So whilst dieting , IMO , shakes tend to be the first thing removed from diet designs as lower calorie requirements are easily done without.

On a second note, I have never added bcaa intake into my macro make up. Do you believe this should be done, or is it not required.

Nice article btw.

Would EAA's not be more beneficial mate?
A remember a discussion on here a while ago...

This is one of DTLV's posts

"Well apparently I'm an expert so here's my take - basically EAA's rock :D

I've used this analogy before but I think it goes like this - BCAA's/Leucine are to protein syntheis like the ignition is to a car, you have to switch it on to get it moving. The car will only move however if it has fuel in the tank, and the EAAs represent the stuff which fuels muscle protein synthesis.

You can jack up anabolic processes all day with leucine and BCAAs, but the response is rate limited if you have any lacking essential amino acids so you need all of them not just the BCAAs. Also, since it's a spike in EAAs you want for maximum protein synthesis rather than a simple trickle of EAAs (a constant supply being very anti catabolic but not at all very anabolic), it makes total sense not to take high doses of BCAAs/leucine on their own and rely on getting the other aminos from diet, but to take EAAs as a single supplement.

I agree very much with the OP on this, changing to EAAs as my main workout supplement is probably the most noticably beneficial single change I've made. I also sometimes do what hilly does and add extra BCAA's, although I consider this to be far less important than getting the EAAs. "

I think that's fine as a marketing article... it highlights the importance of BCAAs to muscle protein synthesis, briefly refers to the science behind their use without confusing the fcuk out of the reader with too much science, and is quite readable.... and links to the products nicely at the end without being at all aggressive in trying to sell them.

If not considering it as a marketing article though, it's could maybe be said to be a little misleading in it doesn't discuss whether there is any advantage in taking a BCAA product if already taking a workout supplement containing full spectrum EAAs already high in leucine such as most EAA blends, casein or whey... IMO I would say extra BCAAs, in this circumstance, offer no extra benefit at all (except perhaps for an elderly athlete who might well benefit from the extra leucine due to sarcopenia impaired signialing)... BCAAs as a stand alone workout product with no other supplement defintely better than nothing at all, but no need to take if already taking a quality protein supp.

Back