Resource icon

Comfortably Numb Part II

RS

THE ALMIGHTY
RS submitted a new item to the blog:

Comfortably Numb Part II - It took a while, and it is pretty much a bunch of nonsense - but its Rammers Rambles after all!

Comfortably Numb Part II

“And every scar sits like a marker
Every line on the face is a small souvenir
Of all the places, be they good or be they bad
That we stopped into on the journey to here”

“Everybody wades through the same coloured shit,
But it doesn't drag everyone down" -
David Ford - “I’m All Right Now”

So, here I am sat in front of a nice white sheet of paper (simulated on a screen of course, as most things are these days) not long after posting up part 1 of...

Read more about this post...

I found this fascinating @RS. Really good insight, and helped a lot with some personal stuff too.

You have a really great knowledge and a great understanding of what's going on, do you feel that allows you to control it when the thoughts can sometimes become too bad?

If you done some real deep soul searching with the help of your better half and the arrival of a new member, I hope that could really spur you on to find the motivation again, for whatever it may be, I just feel you have a lot to offer this world(through only knowing you online), and the world is missing out.

Reactions: RS
Interesting read. OH was prescribed citalopram when he went to the docs for help with his difficulty sleeping. Apparently he was slightly depressed. Wtf? Anyway the side effects came thick and fast. He slept, but hallucinated more, his Sex drive dropped he just wasn't that bothered and he would burst into tears at work for no apparent reason. And I've never seen him cry... Six days after starting the pills he sacked them off. This was a couple of months back. Thankfully we've moved house and hopefully the new docs are better

I found this fascinating @RS. Really good insight, and helped a lot with some personal stuff too.

You have a really great knowledge and a great understanding of what's going on, do you feel that allows you to control it when the thoughts can sometimes become too bad?

If you done some real deep soul searching with the help of your better half and the arrival of a new member, I hope that could really spur you on to find the motivation again, for whatever it may be, I just feel you have a lot to offer this world(through only knowing you online), and the world is missing out.

Cheers Tommy, appreciate those comments.

Re knowing a bit about issues, its a double edge sword. I'm sure I cause just as much issues because I know what "could" happen, rather than them actually happening by themselves.

About the Citalopram though, that was largely ruled out. I knew little of the drugs, hadn't studied them - and by the time I needed some sort of intervention, would have chewed cyanide pills like they were Haribo :lol: So I rolled with it, having no preconception of what they would do to me. I therefore make the assumption that my observations of the drug and how they affected (and still are I do believe) me to be genuine, based on what was happening - not what I was worried might happen because of what I knew. It wasn't until I'd been suffering some issues for a fair bit of time that I started reading up - then it all fell into place when the side effect list basically described my time on the pills :lol:

Interesting read. OH was prescribed citalopram when he went to the docs for help with his difficulty sleeping. Apparently he was slightly depressed. Wtf? Anyway the side effects came thick and fast. He slept, but hallucinated more, his Sex drive dropped he just wasn't that bothered and he would burst into tears at work for no apparent reason. And I've never seen him cry... Six days after starting the pills he sacked them off. This was a couple of months back. Thankfully we've moved house and hopefully the new docs are better

Thanks for the comment Beklet.

See as said in the article this is one of my primary concerns. This class of drugs has become the no brainer prescription of choice, blanket prescribed.

I know more than a few people now who have been prescribed it for temporary situations of everything becoming way too much (I'd put myself in that bracket to some degree) - but in the same breath they tell you you need to be on them at least 6 weeks and probably closer to 3 months to see any benefit. And, with the side effects being seemingly long term... well, it isn't a short term drug IMO. Other options, such as Diazepam, present a much better option - but you would think that stuff was ricin with how tight they control it. To be fair it does have abuse potential, but still, their tight gripped control borders on paranoia.

And why?

Because the drug makes most folk feel good, pretty quickly.

Now call me simplistic, but isn't something that makes you feel good - administered in a controlled fashion - the perfect helper for getting over temporary situations of feeling extremely bad lol? Rather than a drug that makes you not care about feeling bad - and makes you not care about everything else in the process.

And, as you noticed with your partner, the initial settling in period can be pretty messed up. Apparently - keep in mind this stuff id prescribed to individuals suffering deep sometimes long term depression, usually harbouring thoughts of self harm or suicide - the risk of suicide goes up dramatically within the breaking in period.

lol wut? Sounds just the right thing to be prescribing :lol:

"but ultimately fruitless in terms of a “cure”"

There is no cure, no ultimate point, no meaning, so searching for it is either going to lead to depression or delusion, (becoming all religious and worshiping a man in the clouds :rolleyes:)

Do something you enjoy, even if it is only a little bit, then tomorrow do something else, and the next day something else.

That is about as much as we can hope for.

Someone mentioned the book "The Happiness Project" on here, and although I doubt you will find many of her actual ideas that interesting the concept is.

If you want to read it I'll send it to you.

Now where is my email reply? :D

"but ultimately fruitless in terms of a “cure”"

There is no cure, no ultimate point, no meaning, so searching for it is either going to lead to depression or delusion, (becoming all religious and worshiping a man in the clouds :rolleyes:)

Do something you enjoy, even if it is only a little bit, then tomorrow do something else, and the next day something else.

That is about as much as we can hope for.

Someone mentioned the book "The Happiness Project" on here, and although I doubt you will find many of her actual ideas that interesting the concept is.

If you want to read it I'll send it to you.

Now where is my email reply? :D

You know mate, I'm just going to be honest - I've been avoiding emailing you back while I contemplate - because simply, you make me face up to some truths, and acceptance is hard I suppose :)

My thinking is, you are right though. You asked had I read Awareness, I have, but I could probably do with reading it again!

You know, I don't think I'd accept a "cure" now. I've grown into my skin, this is the way I am! Hopefully my rambles will make others realise they are not stranded alone though :)

Will email you tonight or tomorrow for sure mate, sorry for swerving :lol:

Oh and I'd def like a read at "The Happiness Project" if you could send it? Would really appreciate it. I still have your Geoff Thomson books too; I could probably benefit from another read actually :)

I have the happiness project I could post you also if it's any help :)

@RS, I find your thoughts very interesting. Please keep disseminating them.

Cheers mate - I can't promise that though - this article was written over a year ago, I only put it up because I stumbled over it last night while looking for something else :lol:

Back