Contest Diet That Works For Anyone.

Are you sure mate?

Once I've written it in in pen then it's final.

If you feed me duff gen I swear down m8 I will track you down and make you eat a twister in 10 seconds so u get brain freeze m8 I sweRr.
Im not 100% sure chap so just pencil it in for now. Don't fancy dem twister brain gainz

Haha. I thought I was a bit too literal!

The term is certainly ambiguous, as far as drawing comparisons between elite endurance or exploration activities and the general population is that the average sedentary adult or kid is already getting an energy surplus, although those who eat mainly junk food can still end up being short on basic micronutrients.

I know what you are getting at, and for hard training bodybuilders glucose is something to be managed like any other nutrients.

J

That would make sense; simple calorific value without no micronutrient value. Yep, that could be a good definition
How about if it is a fortified food? Would you say it is empty or (half) full then?

How about if it is a fortified food? Would you say it is empty or (half) full then?
Vagueness aside, It depends how well fortified the food is ;).

Whilst fortified foods eg breakfast cereals pop some well known vitamins and iron into it, IMO the fortification is quite arbitrary and more based on popular understanding of nutrition rather than what a body actually could do with. Fortified foods for bodybuilders and athletes tend to be a bit different.

However a much bigger issue with the nutrition of "fortified foods" IMO is the food matrix., where synergistic compounds enhance the effect of another. Eg ellagic acid taken with blackberries has a greater oomph than a identical dose of ellagic acid in isolation. If one is talking adding vitamins into pot noodles, food matrices are probably the least of ones problems. Lol.

IMO food fortification in principle is a sound idea and indeed has helped certain groups eg pregnant mums. My problem is more with the practice , whereby its used as a marketing ploy.

I have similar problems to inane adverts targeting parents that they need to feed their kids stringy processed cheese as its full of calcium which they need to build strong bones. They don't provide the counterpoint that it's packed fully of fat and unnecessary energy for their obese and sedentary child or that excessive calcium and lack of vitamin k may not be too healthy for them.

Very arbitrary, and why don't they fortify with Vit D and K too. That would be rational. Instead many food manufacturers are practicing voodoo nutrition IMHO.

J

Back