Full Squats or Not?

I tend to go for full ROM on everything - but then I guess what you choose depends on your goals and your current physiological state. I did used to get some knee discomfort but sorted out my form and i'm happy doing deep squats now. Also pistol squats, atg - holding a water ball above my head.... now that's challenging! (FUn though...even if it does look a tad weird).

Each to their own...........but I do like this.......

perfect+squat.jpg

Fresh off the press from the NSCA, for and against;

For Deep Squatting said:
In conclusion, research does not support the contention that full squats are detrimental to those with healthy knee function. Given that deep squatting confers a number of important benefits, including greater muscle activation and development, improved functional capacity, and better athletic performance (1,20), there is little reason to avoid this exercise provided no medical contraindications exist"

Against Deep Squatting said:
Overall, the squat exercise provides substantial and well-researched benefits. However, when considering the value of the deep squat, the risks appear to outweigh many of the potential benefits. Most significantly, patellofemoral injury does appear to be associated with deep knee flexion, which can predispose individuals to osteoarthritic changes in the articular cartilage beneath the patella. Also, it is important to note that electromyographic activity across studies have indicated that peak muscle activity in the quadriceps, hamstrings, and gastrocnemius fall within the range of the parallel squat and do not increase beyond parallel of flexion. This suggests that squatting below parallel will not increase muscle activation. Finally, consider what is functional for the individual and the sport, if deep squatting is not part of normal functioning, it may not be contributing to sport performance via specificity.

Are Deep Squats a Safe and Viable Exercise? : Strength & Conditioning Journal

I might be missing somethign here but it seems to make sense that you would get greater electromyographic activity within a muscle that is held under tension (ie: held at parallel, however briefly, with a weight load) than you would when you go atg...... however....we're designed to stand from a squat so I see no reason not to do that with a weight load.

Or to put it another way - i'm not sure the electromygraph stuff above is necessarily relevant within the context of functional strength and mobility. However..great post @Ak_88 very interesting.

Back