• While members here are knowledgeable, they are not doctors and are not able to diagnose or recommend treatment for medical conditions. Please consult a health care professional rather than risk your health.

Intercostal Injury

Dtlv

I don't know exactly how I managed to do this, gardening of all things I think, but have managed to apparently tear at least three of the attachments for my (internal) intercostal muscles just below the sternum. Was assessed as a grade 2 tear - partial mini tears but nothing cleanly seperated.

Been in serious pain for two days and just got it diagnosed. Hurts like hell to raise my arms, lie down, twist my trunk, side bend, breathe deeply and a range of other movements. The pain radiates into my back and spine too and is even throwing off my balance when I walk right now. Got some nice swelling and extreme tenderness around the edge of my ribcage and around the upper two abs. Weirdly coughing or laughing is not too bad.

Anyway this is gonna mean 3-6 months with no weights which absolutely sucks as for the first time in ages I've been consistent and really progressing. Am just hoping that the diagnosis for time out is excessive.

The prescription pain relief is strong NSAIDs, but I want to avoid chronic use of those so am gonna see how I go without for most of the time and maybe only use them at night to help get to sleep (as lying down is when this hurts most).

Anyone had a similar injury?

Damn. Gardening is evil. They shouldn't promote it as healthy exercise.

Never had it but I wish you the swiftest of recoveries pal.

Back