Paleo Diet in Bodybuilding...

Paleo eating is a principal of food selection more than a specific diet... there are many versions of paleo diets out there promoted by different people, and most of the popular diets are heavy on the meat and fresh veg, but in truth anthroplogical evidence about what paleolithic populations ate suggests different geographic populations ate massively different diets... some were really heavy on meat and very low carbs, some were pretty much vegan, and most were fairly balanced and inbetween.

I think that a paleo approach is a healthy one, but don't be tied to a very specific version of the diet - work out a plan which suits you individually, and avoids foods you don't get on with. I see all diet templates this way - as a starting point that you tweak according to your own needs, tolerances and preferences.

Paleo eating is a principal of food selection more than a specific diet... there are many versions of paleo diets out there promoted by different people, and most of the popular diets are heavy on the meat and fresh veg, but in truth anthroplogical evidence about what paleolithic populations ate suggests different geographic populations ate massively different diets... some were really heavy on meat and very low carbs, some were pretty much vegan, and most were fairly balanced and inbetween.

I think that a paleo approach is a healthy one, but don't be tied to a very specific version of the diet - work out a plan which suits you individually, and avoids foods you don't get on with. I see all diet templates this way - as a starting point that you tweak according to your own needs, tolerances and preferences.

Indeed. You get a lot of 'hardcore paleo' people telling you dairy is bad, it's not a natural part of the diet etc, but it's well documented that a lot of Northern Europeans have a mutation which allows us to digest lactose. Here, it IS a natural part of the diet cos it's bloody cold in winter and not a lot grows....I tend to eat what I eat and try not to eat anything that upsets me. Except last week, when I was on holiday - fish and chips is soooo good! :lol:

Indeed. You get a lot of 'hardcore paleo' people telling you dairy is bad, it's not a natural part of the diet etc, but it's well documented that a lot of Northern Europeans have a mutation which allows us to digest lactose. Here, it IS a natural part of the diet cos it's bloody cold in winter and not a lot grows....I tend to eat what I eat and try not to eat anything that upsets me. Except last week, when I was on holiday - fish and chips is soooo good! :lol:
Hello folks, my first post here so go easy ...

Some are adapted to digest lactose yes, but actually there are other factors which are the focus for most in this area.

Casein proteins: there are different types, one certainly is more problematic for some.
Insulin secretion: dairy is highly insulinogenic, over production of insulin, year round, in concert with other factors is a major and growing issue...

So lactose is just one issue.

As a general point, there's pro's and con's to each and every food, just because something is 'paleo' (a misnomer >95% of the time) doesn't mean it is fine, just because something is neolithic doesn't mean it is bad.

Adaptation happens randomly and when it happens it is possibly just to one component of a food (e.g. lactose in milk), it doesn't mean that food has gone from bad to good, it may just mean that when all is said and done it is useful enough for us to consume it - but that point changes depending upon your circumstances. For example we don't have to reply on salted meats any more for protein we have a stable supply all year round.

'Non grain, dairy, legume' (a better term) can be beneficial for many but you still have to do it right, and it is restrictive and can be expensive so there's wider issues involved.

ive been paleo for the last 3-4 months and and will likely stick to it for the rest of my life

Cutting out grains isnt really that hard and im glad i have done so

cutting out sugar is a little bit trickier because i usually like sweeter food, (curries especially)

its really not that hard to get the calories in each day, just eat half a coconut every day and avocado mixed in your meals and you will soon bump up to 2000+

Back