Riley's journal to BNBF 2012

riley

Hi guys

Ive set myself the goal of competing in the BNBF next year in the juniors (this is if I dont go to the dark side first :lol:)

Ive been workout out for maybe 18months now (naturally obviously), like most I didnt have a clue when I started but im a little more knowledgable now i'd like to think :laugh:

Ive made decent gains, but now I really want to nail my diet to maximise my potential. Im currently bulking, having weighed in for a while (due to being at uni and not having a scale haha) but last time I check I was around 14stone/195lbs, I'll weight myself tomorrow morning and get that updated. If im being honest my diet and training could be better, but being at university ive always said I wont let training or diet compromise that experience too much, but seeing as all I seem to do/think about is diet and training I think I should, and will be, tightening it up.

Im currently bulking, which I plan to keep doing until around april/may time, with the aim of hitting around 205-210lbs. Ive been bulking for a few months now, and made decent gains, but have definitely gained a few lb's fats, due to not having my diet tight. I'll then try a 12 week cut, so I can see whats under my winter coat :laugh: and then go from there.

Stats:

Height 6'1
Weight 195lbs
BF: Estimate 16-18% (?)

Me Now (Feb '11) - Click the image and then the image again to see them properly

Here are some progress shots to compare -

Me May '10

Me end of Sept '10

First session for a few days since ive been away. Its not the way i normally like to train but im thinking about doing a bit of extra arm work for the next 4 weeks since its a weak point of mine. Im going to do a 3 day body split routine, chest, back and legs. I'll do bi's and tri's every session, light, heavy and medium, without going to failure apart from the medium. Just 1 exercise for bi and 1 for tri. And the bodypart im doing that day i'll go a little easier on. Pretty much following what I read in an ebook on it. Link of the ebook - Bodybuilding - Big Arms.pdf

Chest, bi's and tri's

Bench

Warm up working upto 60kg
Set 1 - 80kg x 6
Set 2 - 75kg x 6
Set 3 - 70kg x 7

Incline Flyes

Warm up 10kg x 12
Set 1,2 and 3 15kg x 12

Machine Flyes

Set 1 - 63 x 8
Set 2 - 56 x 10
Set 3 - 56 x 8

Bi's and Tri's

Standing alternate bicep curls supersetted with seated dumbbell tricep press. 5 sets of 12-15 reps. 45 secs between sets

Set 1 - curls 12.5kg x 15 then db press 15kg x 15
Set 2 - Curls 12.5kg x 13 then db press 15kg x 14
Set 3 - Curls 10kg x 14 then db press 12.5kg x 13
Set 4 - Curls 10kg x 12 then db press 12.5kg x 13
Set 5 - Curls 7.5kg x 15 then db press 12.5kg x 12

As I say its not normally how i'd train but i thought id give it a go. I cant believe how quickly my strength went in the supersets. Felt quite tired and hadnt eaten great today, could definitely feel it effecting my workout as I wasnt near pushing any pb's. My own fault though :laugh:

So i trained back today, probably one of the worst/hardest workouts ive ever had. Probably due to only having 4-5 hours sleep (thanks to becoming addicted to The Wire), low blood sugar, eating too soon before my workout and wearing a thick jumper haha. Within doing my first warmup sets i felt light headed and nauseas, thought i was going to puke everywhere haha, but i ground out the rest of the workout , even if the lifts were sh!t. I did miss a couple of things out though tbf

Deadlift (straps, not belt)

WU working to 60kg
115kg x 8
110kg x 7

Lat pull down (slow positives/negatives with a good squeeze)
WU 35kg x 10
55kg x 10
55kg x 8

Cable row (concentrating on a good contraction)
wu 35kg x 10
60kg x 7
55kg x 7

BB Curl
5 sets of 35kg, going from 8 down to 5 reps. Not going to failure

Skullcrushers
5 sets of 25kg + bar working from 8 down to 5 reps. Not going to failure

Pretty poor workout to be honest, and missed my evening pwo meal due to still feeling sick so had to replace with a shake. Going go to bed now and get an early night, hopefully feel better tomorrow

Had a cheeky litte legs workout on sat since i only got to the gym about 35mins before it closed. Cant for the life of me remember what i was lifting though (should really start to write stuff down). Been eating big and well lately, feeling quite positive towards thing at the moment which is good.

I spent a long while doing db press instead of bench due to a shoulder injury, i do feel this has effected my bench, probably not what it should be. I personally dont think lifting heavy on db press is necessarily transferable to bench

Tues

Chest bi and tri

Bench
Couple WU sets
Set 1 - 80kg x 6
Set 2 - 75kg x 7
Set 3 - 70kg x 7

Decline Flies
17.5kg x 10
17.5kg x 8 supersetted with 10kg x 5

Leaning one arm dumbbell fly (apparently). Only ever seen it here - YouTube - M&F Raw! #35 Leaning One-Arm Dumbbell Fly but im trying to work on my inner chest so thought id try it
7.5kg x 8
5kg x 8

Bi's and tri's
Standing alternate bicep curls supersetted with seated dumbbell tricep press. 5 sets of 12-15 reps. 45 secs between sets. Cant be bothered to write all the weights lol

Back