The Strongest Shall Survive-Bill Starr's 5 x 5

Guvnor

Top Contributor
Okay so I've decided to set myself a little target and then I'll take things from there. I've been training for a long time but without any specific aims/goals, but this time its time for a change.

Target is to do Bill Starr's beginner routine for 12 weeks and see where it takes me, so pretty simple. So I've set myself a 12 week goal.

Bill Starr's beginner routine
Monday (Heavy Day - > 85%)
Back Squats: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets
Bench Press: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets
Deadlifts: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Wednesday (Light Day - <70%)
Back Squats: 5 x 5 using 60% of Monday's weight
Bench Press: 5 x 5 using 60% of Monday's weight
Pullups: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Friday (Medium Day - 70-85%)
Back Squats: 5 x 5 using 80% of Monday's weight
Bench Press: 5 x 5 using 80% of Monday's weight
Rows: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

I've been reading around lately and this guy is a legend and I've been looking at his routines and have been wanting to try one for some time, goal after this is to hit Bill's Power routine, but one step at a time, lets get the these 12 weeks out the way first and then I'll re-assess as to what needs to be done and how this program has worked for me.

The only thing I'll replace is the pull ups, instead I'll do OHP, I'll keep pull ups in there but only as assistance exercises and do then when I feel like it, including some bi and tri work from time to time, but keeping it minimal though, main focus is the compounds.
Basically I just want to see how this program works for me, then perhaps I'll jump on Starr's power routine or try Madcows.

Had a workout yesterday, I might as well post that up as well.

First session
Heavy day

Squats
30 x 5
40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5
65 x 5

Bench
20 x 5
30 x 5
40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5 (was bloody hard but yeah I managed with proper form)

Deadlift
60 x 5
70 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5 (last rep grip started to go)

NOTES : Need to invest in some chalk or find an alternative till I manage to get some, but overall good session. Back feels okay today or usually it would feel like its about to explode.

Okay so I've missed my Wednesday session due to an exam, plus I was mentally and physically exhausted so I needed the rest.

Friday -Medium day
Squat
20 x 5 warmup
50 x 5
50 x 5
50 x 5
50 x 5
50 x 5

Bench
20 x 5 warmup
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5

BB Rowing
20 x 5
30 x 5
40 x 5
42.5 x 5
45 x 5
The weight became hard after 40 kg maybe I should change from 90 degree angle rows to something a bit more do-able perhaps try them at 45 degree or if I could get a small raised platform where I can rest the barbell before lifting I think that would make a huge difference.

Done some assistance exercises as well.

Been looking into a few things lately, I'll start of with HIIT possibly over the weekend, been putting some fat on over the past few months where I hardly have done no form of running/cardio at all.

Also I will be looking into conditioning, what I do and when I do and how I do depends, but yeah need to get started with HIIT again not liking the layer forming around the mid-section.

Empty stomach HIIT-Jump Rope

5 intervals-not much so I need to push myself more though but I'll build up slowly and add other stuff to as I go along, will just rest tomorrow heavy day on Monday, I'm tempted to do some sprints but I am not in the mood for sore legs for the heavy squatting session, so yeah tomorrow is rest day.

Did not train yesterday as I was feeling lazy so I fired myself up through music today

I had a pretty good session despite only having breakfast and nuts today, guess was just in that mood as I felt fired up.

Heavy day

Squat
30 x 5
40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5
80 x 2 ( failed on the third rep just could not lower myself anymore)
70 x 5 (bloody hard last few reps but controlled it and got through it )

Bench
30 x 5
40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5 Felt hard and just about racked the bar in the end
62.5 x 5 Was spotted by my 11 year old brother who helped me out on the last rep bottom line is I shouldn't be missing meals.

Deads
70 x 5
90 x 5 First two sets felt like I was doing speed deadlifts, found them easy tbh
100 x 5
110 x 5
110 x 2 Grip went and my hands are ripped

Good session now time to eat and load up

Warmed down in the end and done some hip flexibility movements, no ab work today and also no assistance exercises, it was an heavy day and I did my best to go as heavy as I could

On a side note been training twice a week, for optimal gains need to be be doing it three so need to fix it up.

Took a week of, bottom line I needed it, hopefully no more missing sessions now.

I managed to train yesterday

Heavy day

Squat
30 x 5, 40 x 5, 50 x 5, 60 x 5, 65 x 5

Bench
40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 5, 55 x 5, 60 x 3

Deadlift
70 x5, 90 x 5, 100 x 5, 105 x3

Despite being extremely tired but somehow still managed to train. I done a 16 hour fast through which I had a yoghurt and I drank 500 ml, not to sure how its supposed to be done, but I did feel cold, tired and dizzy through it for some reason. I guess I might just have to cycle my calories as I want to get rid of this gut that I've accumulated, not to sure though as how to go about it, any ideas ?

Also need to order some chalk/liquid chalk.

Looking for to Wednesday's session now which is a light one.

Back