20% hick in VAT on protein powder

I think once people notice the fact that "diet whey" hasn't gone up and they can make do with that they will.

Otherwise, companies can just change the label on whey to say stuff like "aides weight loss" and it'll qualify... Doesn't actually have to have green tea in it apparently. Maybe this is the reason for all of the offers at the moment? Get rid of stock without "this is a weight loss aide" labels on? I dunno.

yeah could well be trying to shift the stock with normal labels. havnt really had to buy whey the last few months but thinking whether i should get some now just incase the supp companies take a while to sort things out lol

I've started stocking up! I found a discount code for www.superfit.co.uk if anyone is interested. Get 10% off anything with this code: Freecode10

Just grabbed a couple of 5Kg tubs of Nutrisport. 90+ Comes in at just over

By rights you could just state it's a weight loss aid anyway...

State it's intended as a meal replacement therefore will contain less calories than say, the usual sandwich... Thus creates a calorie defecit and is therefore a weight loss aid when compared to the alternative.

Saves fucking about with green tea, just change the label.

By rights you could just state it's a weight loss aid anyway...

State it's intended as a meal replacement therefore will contain less calories than say, the usual sandwich... Thus creates a calorie defecit and is therefore a weight loss aid when compared to the alternative.

Saves fucking about with green tea, just change the label.
Don't think they'd accept that though. Like i said before, HMRC was prepared to fight a lenghty court battle with McVities over whether Jaffa cakes were biscuits or cakes & thus liable for VAT or not because if it was ruled to be the former*, it's generate more revenue & despite what is often said about civil servants being idle, inneficient wasters, there's a strong occupational culture within HMRC's VAT section to "protect" the revenue: a lot of them take the view that they work for themselves (as citizens) by working in VAT.

Don't actually know what the score is regarding the diet aspect with the inclusion of green tea etc & whether that does make a product exempt from VAT or not. If it does & lots of companies start using that loophole, I'll wager that it'll be tighntened up / closed as soon as they realise it's being used to circumvent VAT.

* As daft as it might sound, the legal ruling in the court case boiled down to this test: biscuits go soft when left, cakes go hard. Jaffa cakes go hard when left,so are therefore a cake & not a biscuit.

Back