5 a day -Veg- how you get yours + Thai fruit

Lol @freeline

if fruit and veg is seasonal how is it available all year round? Not.a.cunty question just curious. Am i injesting modified produce. What seasons are things out?

Lol @freeline

if fruit and veg is seasonal how is it available all year round? Not.a.cunty question just curious. Am i injesting modified produce. What seasons are things out?
Look at countries of origin mate, we import a lot of fresh produce. Its summer south of the equator at the moment ;-)

Depends what we get really. We get seasonal veg from the farmers market so at the moment its plenty of root veg like parsnips, potatoes, swede and beans of all sorts.

I tend to 50/50 it with the reduced veg from the supermarket. end up getting bags of salad for 5p and tubs of houmous for 10p! Dinner, tend to mix up mashed swede and cauliflower with some cheese for a lovely low carb mash. Its also piss easy to throw in some wilted spinach to some ricotta and parmesan cheese mix and have it with pasta and black olives and sundries tomatoes.

That fruit Ethan is the food of the gods.

Anywhere more tropical they eat a lot of fruit and veg.

I love the stuff but I know in the UK it is GM shit.

I don't know what it is down to Pip, but there is a fuckin HUGE difference in the quality/taste of fruit veg over here and many places abroad, I always remember eating a big tomato in Greece once and it tasted as good as steak, a simple grated cabbage salad with a bit of lemon, olive oil and salt and pepper  was absolutely delicious, unbelievable really.

I don't know what it is down to Pip, but there is a fuckin HUGE difference in the quality/taste of fruit veg over here and many places abroad, I always remember eating a big tomato in Greece once and it tasted as good as steak, a simple grated cabbage salad with a bit of lemon, olive oil and salt and pepper  was absolutely delicious, unbelievable really.
From my limited understanding (with my wife being a chef) our veg / fruit is manufactured if you like to look a certain way, be a certain size / colour etc.  If it doesnt meet this criteria then the supermarkets dont / wont accept it.

So the growers use (not sure what) to get the fruit / veg to conform to these standards.. 

As we know naturally grown fruit / veg comes in all shapes / sizes but tastes so much different.  We get all of ours from a local farm (via my wifes work).. night and day difference in taste.

Same as if when in Ibiza for example you buy your food from a market.

Just my 2p lol

Harry, another reason that tomato in Greece was so good is when it was picked, ie the time it spent on the vine. Our tomatoes are either grown here in greenhouses or they are imported and so picked long before ripe so they make it to the supermarket before they rot. The tomato you had in Greece was probably grown in gorgeous Greek sunshine and picked when it was ripe and so had all that extra time to become as tasty as it could.

Cheers H, lol Freeline, not true though, some places just had crap chefs I think ;-)

Back