Alcohol calories - May be of interest

Irish Beast

[SIZE=10.5pt]Had a relatively dry week so going to have a tipple tonight. Debating whether to have a few beers and a bottle of wine or whether to go down the Vodka and Diet Coke route as is often advised in BB circles. Particularly when on a diet. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]It may surprise some of you to know that vodka really isn't that good an option as it seems. Yes there are less calories than beer, but still quite a lot if you plan on having quite a few.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]My options were as follows so I googled them to check the actual calorie content purely out of interest[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1) Bottle of vodka and diet mixers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]There are 44 calories in a 20ml measure. Now nobody drinks a 20ml measure for a start, but that's another matter! Working on the assumption that gluttony will get the better of me I will finish the 70cl (700ml) bottle which would be a grand total of 1540 calories and a negligible amount for the mixers. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Higher than you thought? Option 2 below[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2) 6 Light beers and a bottle of red wine[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Coors light, my tipple of choice is a full strength lager but only contains 102 calories per can so that will be 612 calories from the beer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]There are approx 119 calories in a 175ml bottle of wine. therefore 476 approximately in the bottle, depending on strength.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]So added to the light beers that is 1088 calories.[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt]I could even have 4 more beers and still consume less calories than the vodka! I reckon that more people would be unable to finish 10 beers and a bottle of wine than a bottle of vodka[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]--------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I understand that I have used light beers and that if I had stella for example the can would have 189 instead of 102 but could still have 6 and the wine for around the same calories as the vodka. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]From a taste point of view the beer and wine, or just a load of beer is nicer than vodka and calorie wise the vodka really isn't as good as people make out. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Just something I thought I would share for those of you who feel it necessary to drink vodka only so that you don't get fat! [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody ell, drinking 70cl bottle of vodkas a fair effort.

I'd rather have a big fat chippy for the amount of fun calories

Go through a 70 like its nothing at the weekend. Always thouhght it was fuck all like 3-400 cals.. 

fck sake IB.. Youve ruined vodka for me lol

Yeah found this out myself last time I cut. Everyone was saying drink vodka and diet mixers but I discovered wine was for me the best option. I'm going to try wine and soda or diet lemonade to see if I can make a 'long' drink so that I don't get through as much wine next time.

70cl is childs play! LOL

I once drank 3 litres in my prime! That was an achievement.

Seems a bit of a myth the old vodka thing. Gonna go for a few pints now and will grab a bottle of wine on the way home!

2 and a half bottles of wine gets me pretty drunk too though. 

what im going to do is have half measures so its half the calories... that way I can have twice as much.. right?!?!

Thing is body will burn off alcohol calories before any other macro. so dont eat a kebab on way home :)

7 calories per gram.

2 and a half bottles of wine gets me pretty drunk too though.

what im going to do is have half measures so its half the calories... that way I can have twice as much.. right?!?!
If you ever suggest a half measure again its a lifetime ban.

Punk ass bitch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is body will burn off alcohol calories before any other macro. so dont eat a kebab on way home :)

7 calories per gram.
Think it's been established the actual calories that count is nearer 5 mate, it's a recent discovery (well as far as I'm aware anyway lol).

still staggers me that people don't realize just how calorific the alcohol, not the mixer, is. denial i guess. 

Back