Decent Weekend Of Boxing

He was loving that mask, still wearing it while the announcements were being made.  Got to hand it to him he fought better than expected and any man at his age holding a belt has to be congratulated.  He was taller and still lighter than Murat.

Terrible decision by the doctor in the Rosado fight, almost as ridiculous as the judges scorecards at the time of stoppage but I suppose nobody should be surprised by that anymore.

As for Brook, he's Alexander's mandatory and should be aiming for that assuming DA gets past the Porter fight.

GGG's looking better and better with every fight any doubts about his chin are surely redundant now.

Surprisingly good heavyweight fight on the undercard unfortunately Abdusalamov had to have brain surgery afterwards to have a blood clot removed fortunately he's stable now.

Yeah i agree, Golovkin is vastly improving with each fight, think Stevens is his 4th stoppage win this year???

GGG won't be given the recognition he deserves as one of the best middleweight fighters until he beats a staunch boxer, someone of real substance. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to land a big name yet...

Sergio Martinez's camp aren't interested, read that he's in negotiations to set up a bout with Miguel Cotto for next year.

Peter Quillin WBO champion would be another good option, but there's some kind of on going issue with HBO and Golden Boy Production, so doubt that will ever happen. Other names which have been thrown into the mix are Darren Barker and Felix Sturm, no real interest been generated by these potential matchups though.

The only other high profile fight out there i can think of would be Andre Ward, but as they're both big name fighters under HBO the chances are slim to none of this coming to fruition. Pretty sure this fight would be an instant crowd pleaser, but GGG isn't a big enough name yet to bring in the big $$$.

003-Golovkin-vs-Stevens-IMG_7596_d1a31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
GGG v Martin Murray in Monaco next year is the strongest rumour at the moment and there's plenty of them including a possible fight v Froch afterwards. It's too early for Ward imo.

I can't see Martinez or Quillan wanting to even mention his name let alone enter a ring with him but if enough money's thrown at a fight then fears and politics can sometimes take a back seat.

If you didn't catch the flyweight fight from Mexico, Segura v Marquez I'd recommend watching it soon on youtube.  12 rounds of non stop warring between the two, was a great fight.

Will take a look at the flyweight fight later on mate. The look on Stevens face is priceless... Pure shock and awe that his arse is on the canvass lol

Just seen an interview with Andre Ward's promoter Dan Goosen, in which he said he'd be open to a bout with Bernard Hopkins!!!

WBO super middleweight Vs IBF light heavyweight would be an interesting matchup, but think the age difference would make it a one sided story with B-Hop nearly 50.

Ward commented, "I don't have a desire to call Bernard out, but I am a fighter. If it makes financial sense, I'll step to the plate. I'm more interested in fighting guys from my era, but at the same time I don't back down from fights."

In my opinion Goosen should be eyeing up fights between the likes of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, Gennady Golovkin, Carl Froch & Mikkel Kessler. Not an OAP at the end of his career.

Wards next fight is this Saturday shown on HBO (usually stream via vipbox) against unbeaten Edwin Rodriguez, don't think this is going to be much of a challenge for Ward, as Rodriguez is known for swing punches wide and his inability of fighting on the inside. Ward will dismantle him with ease.    

He's being hyped as boxing's next big superstar...Mikey Garcia definately possesses natural boxing talent and is only getting better with each fight. Garcia's quick thinking, punch anticipation is phenominal, the liver shot that he delivered to Rocky Martinez in the 8th round was pure perfection and won him the bout. Technically he doesn't seem to miss a single shot and importantly makes every punch count. Not sure who he is coached by, think it's his brother Roberto Garcia??? Whoever it is they're doing an impressive job.

Yeah it's Robert Garcia who looks like he's got his work cut out with Donaire just now.  

I see Abdusalamov's still in critical condition, very sad situation fingers crossed he pulls through.

It's not looking very good for Edwin Rodriguez, at Friday's weigh-in he was 2 pounds over weight. He was given time to shed the extra weight, but refused to even attempt to lose it. The penalty for not making weight cost him 20% of his purse which worked out to be $200,000...this is not exactly chump change! This looks like ER is not 100% focused on the fight which will only motivate Ward to punish him for not taking the fight seriously.   

Boxing's being shown on channel 5 tonight at 10pm WBC super middleweight James Degale is defending his title against Dyah Davis.

I also thought he boxed well, big improvement on head and body movement. He applied impressive pressure coming forward and did well easing off and letting the fight come to him.

Another good K.O win for Chris Eubanks Jr. as well, punching power and accuracy have come on a bit.  

Haye out of Fury fight and probable retirement looming after failed shoulder surgery... What a bummer, was looking forward to that. Fed up with Fury already

Back