How important is your career/business to you?

Drago

Elite Member
I mean to you put it before other things, are you always wanting to do better or achieve more or simply just make more money!

Or do you not really care too much?

I have recently started a new job after stagnating in my previous place of employment for too long. I have always been ambitious and really do want to do well here and progress/ open up new opportunities but I definitely aim for a balance.

Pretty important I would say.

A new development door has opened recently so fingers crossed it will go well and let me achieve something.

Just want a good career that pays well before me and the Mrs start a family

Im always looking to progress/improve and am starting further study in September. 

Its not the career/job thats important though, its being able to provide a stable, happy environment for the mrs and the soon to be sprog. 

And to set a good example for the future I guess. . 

i'd never let it be all consuming though. 

I've worked on a car production line for 20 years now and hate the place,run a small facility by myself and some days i barely get to speak to anyone which can be soul destroying especially on a night shift,but it pays very well,private healcare for me my missus and kids,new motor every year.

I'd love a new job but there is nothing out there that comes close paywise with my qualifications.

Extremely.

I lost my job three years ago (almost exactly) and the feeling was unbearable. From that day I've ensured I've done whatever it takes to do my job and do it well!

Recent promotion above older, more experienced guys tells me I'm achieving this.

Well I miss my job more than anything else now being back here in the UK ,in the UK I had 'jobs' and my last UK job 6 years for the MOD was great as you relied on yourself and I could focus directly on it but it was always had a end point.

...but teaching which I was useless at first and didn't care cause the school ,students ,parents didn't care but then moving up at better schools and students and finding where I fit best age wise I started to finally see as a career after a long period but I was chewed out by then even though it rarely showed particularly later on at my job. Fully functioning.

Still I'm lucky for the memories and finding out even at a late age what I enjoy doing so I know what to return to when things are ok.

I'm not doing anything mundane again unless its to save for cash to do what I want.

If you get up to work and you are happy [external factors aside] to get there and want to your best and don't watch the clock regardless of the fact overtime teaching in Thailand is not paid ,you have to do a lot of HW and be responsible which I've never had too and it was happy glue for my soul I think.

I used to do 10-12hours days if we were practising for something and weekends [cause I have to win] cause I wanted too.

+ I loved the edge of it in another country ,getting thrown in at the deep end all the time would of froze me before going but now it doesn't phase me......that's why I don't want to be out of it too long.

However still my fault some of it went wrong so ,right job , the right place/country ....although I won't go back there just wrong time/mental state.

I'm a bit ego centric....well a lot! So the competition/show/exam results for my class type stuff I took serious and no way they were losing anything. 

I can't think of anything better than 22 little kids grow in confidence tremendously through me pushing them and having faith in them. . . and I would of laughed my tits off at that 4 years ago ,like even caring about a bunch of kids. 

I should of been thinking of taking care of myself out of my job though. I didn't and now I pay for it and to a certain extent so do they without me but they'l be good and hopefully so will I. 

It was fairly all-consuming over the past year, altho it has been gradually easing off the last few months, but still v.busy.

I don't just prefer, I NEED a work/life balance, because I start to get depressed when I'm working days, evenings and weekends, with no me time.

I put more emphasis into planning my off time than I used to, but still not enough.

My Mrs complains I don't give enough time to her, but she does everything with complaint usually anyway, so I don't stress too much.

I'm working on improving it, but she is naturally ungrateful & we wouldn't have jack-shit if we were relying on her, so I ignore it to a point.

I'm relieved about the progress made.

I was stagnating careerwise for a few years, but in the last year, I've learned more than I did in the 10 years before that.

Money wise, it makes little difference, taxes are so much higher here, than in the UK where you can make a nice wedge before higher tax kicks in.

But in terms of security, if the shit hit the fan here, I would be much more employable elsewhere.

I also have way more job satisfaction. 

I made the decision a few years ago when I was starting to save for a house deposit and so on,  that lifting should really be just a hobby and nothing more.

I committed to that financially, but never fully committed to that time wise, until last year - not out of choice, just necessity.

Now over the course of the last several months, I've come up with a training system (training volume has halved) and diet which works pretty well for me and I still always try to get 1 cardio session done per day (usually works out to 5  per week in the end, meaning cardio volume has more than halved). Gear use is fairly reasonable, by no means crazy, no longer rely on T3 or stims etc.

I'm currently far from my best shape, but happy enough for what I put in.

I got to my best shape and probably my long term goal in 2013 and it was a bit of an anti-climax.

I just need enough to feel happy/comfortable, not to impress anyone. 

I enjoy training, but I feel beyond a certain point, it's pointless & wasteful because it's so transient. 

You can plough vast time and resources into achieving a certain look or strength goal, or whatever.

But a few weeks not following the plan, and it's gone. Or follow the plan, you will lose it anyway as you age.

Beyond a certain level of development, nobody really gives that much of a fuck anyway, except other bbers,  - and far past a certain level of development & most people think you're slightly weird or 1 dimensional.

Compare that to learning a new skill or putting some of that time into your career. You learn the shit, you have it.

You stop using it for a few weeks, it's not gone.

It might get foggy, but you can brush up on it quickly.

The better you get, the more you are respected.

It benefits you,  it makes you necessary, it gets you paid. So the opposite of weightlifting then, lol

I don't regret all the time I put into training because I enjoyed it.

But at 32, I see myself getting older and the body changing, and I'm glad I had enough sense a few years ago not to make the easy/desirable choice and plough it all into BB.

Thanks Past Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not ambitious at all career-wise now, done all the 'work every hour god sends' and 'fingers to the bone' shit, missing out on important things like watching the kids grow up, if I had my time again I would without doubt look to alter the balance of the past.

I don't give my "job" everything I could, I do just enough to keep them off my back. I take it a bit for granted really as without it I'd be lost. Have my own little business venture that gets most of my attention, because of my job though, its hard to give my own project the time and effort that I want, which makes me resent my job even more!

All in, I don't miss time with my family just for a bit extra money, the less time I spend working the better... Being more efficient is where its at, get the money you need in as little time as possible

Only in that it pays my bills. Not hugely career driven at all... which in part frustrates me but I also value to free time too much

I was never driven when working for other people, self employment suited me much better.I was no Alan sugar just grafted till the business was making a healthy profit then maintained that level.

I wanted to enjoy other things in life not just a job

I n my mind you work to live not live to work

Not at all

The ex husband was career mad and money mad and him deciding to work 70+ hours a week to my 30 was a factor in the shit hitting the fan

I like to work but ultimately it's to pay the bills, there's more to life than owning flashy materialistic shit

I'd never earn the kind of sum that I'd say time with loved ones is worth

I enjoy training, but I feel beyond a certain point, it's pointless & wasteful because it's so transient. 

You can plough vast time and resources into achieving a certain look or strength goal, or whatever.

But a few weeks not following the plan, and it's gone. Or follow the plan, you will lose it anyway as you age.

Beyond a certain level of development, nobody really gives that much of a fuck anyway, except other bbers,  - and far past a certain level of development & most people think you're slightly weird or 1 dimensional.
Related to it all mate but you right here, I'm so glad I have it as my hobby/habit/routine/addiction etc cause everytime its faltered which it never had prior to the 3 out of my 4 yrs away co-incides with my worst times however you are a much more balanced individual than me and I still do it for my ego but its great to make me get-up ,start writing stuff down ,plan the way ahead which spills over into other things.....well it used 2 alot more.

I did 'miss the gym' whilst teaching intentionally because my job/career/class basically were more important than me but then I know their success would shine directly back at me ,I've been golden boy at 3 schools and behind closed doors only wished to be a good bf and a ok BBer ....as good as I could be ....but that later turned into still golden boy but ...well fuck-knows what behind the scenes especially the last blank 6 months [yet I can remember all my day/career type stuff].

No1 does give a fuck about how we look.....unless we looked a certain quality then it drops dramatically then pity may ensure which some image concious people can't take ,I can't take it I know which I see as a + right now as it gets me up and out.

I could not do without BBin I know and I don't mean gear, pity there's alot of other things I can't do without but that's that.

Sorry kind of topic but made a lot of sense to me.

Back