Lower Mid Traps

bit of a naughty one, but what about androgens? traps are full of androgen receptors(unless ive been reading yet more bro science!) and thus grow very well whilst on. mine certainly did. stupidly out of proportion. i prescribe test, tren, bent over rows and machine rows!

bit of a naughty one, but what about androgens? traps are full of androgen receptors(unless ive been reading yet more bro science!) and thus grow very well whilst on. mine certainly did. stupidly out of proportion. i prescribe test, tren, bent over rows and machine rows!

LOL like it mate,think thats were part of the problems come from heavy shrugging and gears overdeveloped my upper traps

Cheers for all the replys

Got to disagree with you and gator,true you cannot isolate a muscle but you can shift the workload onto different areas depending on the body part.

Pecs for example have upper lower fibres but only one main function,traps have upper mid and lower fibres all of which have different functions so imo you can target them to a degree.

Gator my routine for best part of 5 years was weighted chins,barbell rows/trapbar rows and deads,back was pretty big but traps in general were poor.

Dropped deads maybe 3 years ago because for me they are totally overrated all i got was a strong grip and overdeveloped obliques,ive tried rack pulls but as i mentioned in a previous post i get a niggle in my bicep and pushing 40 its not worth the risk,ive already got several little injuries.

Chins are a excellent exercise but im a fat bastard and i can't bang enough reps out to make them worth while,also i rate pulldowns superior for working the lats.

Appreciate the suggestion but its what i used to do few year back

Fair play mate.

Yes, the traps do have fibres running in 3 directions, but the point I was trying to make is I personally don't think you can "isolate" specific fibres over others, it's impossible to switch certain fibres off or on by attempting to isolate them, you have to focus on working the entire muscle.

While some exercise may pull on the muscle in different ways due to different angles..etc. ultimately, the answer to developing lower or mid traps, is to hammer the whole muscle.

Lots of pros resort to using things such as IGF 1 directly into the muscle they want to bring up prior to the workout in a bid to get more growth in the area. Unless you are considering competiting on a professional level..etc. and already have a lot of muscular development/size, it's not worth worrying about bringing up certain fibres/heads within each muscle.

Ultimately, genetics determine how those fibres are "shaped" in relation to attachment points on the bones..etc. and most people have "weak" points in terms of development since no one is entirely symetrical.

Saying all this, I think all you can do is try incorperating different exercises and experiment.

Why did you drop barbell rows mate? Band assisted chins are a great alternative for those who feel they are too heavy to do regular or weighted chins as they allow you to deload some of the weight and get more reps in whilst still keeping the same motor pattern as a regular chin up (as oppossed to those awful chin/dip assist machines).

Fair play mate.

Yes, the traps do have fibres running in 3 directions, but the point I was trying to make is I personally don't think you can "isolate" specific fibres over others, it's impossible to switch certain fibres off or on by attempting to isolate them, you have to focus on working the entire muscle.

While some exercise may pull on the muscle in different ways due to different angles..etc. ultimately, the answer to developing lower or mid traps, is to hammer the whole muscle.

Lots of pros resort to using things such as IGF 1 directly into the muscle they want to bring up prior to the workout in a bid to get more growth in the area. Unless you are considering competiting on a professional level..etc. and already have a lot of muscular development/size, it's not worth worrying about bringing up certain fibres/heads within each muscle.

Ultimately, genetics determine how those fibres are "shaped" in relation to attachment points on the bones..etc. and most people have "weak" points in terms of development since no one is entirely symetrical.

Saying all this, I think all you can do is try incorperating different exercises and experiment.

Why did you drop barbell rows mate? Band assisted chins are a great alternative for those who feel they are too heavy to do regular or weighted chins as they allow you to deload some of the weight and get more reps in whilst still keeping the same motor pattern as a regular chin up (as oppossed to those awful chin/dip assist machines).

Agree with you,you can't isolate part of a muscle,thats not what i mean,I may have worded it wrong by saying targeting mid lower traps.

Traps can shrug up,pull shoulders together and down,ive only ever really done standing barbell or trap bar shrugs,shrugging straight up.In that position the upper traps are doing the brunt of the work because thats there function to shrug straight up,not really suprising that there overdeveloped compared to mid and lower.

I tried tomlet's suggestion yesterday and this morning ive got some nice mild doms in my mid back,so thats a good indicator that shrugging on an incline bench does work mid back,full of the traps will have been worked but mid traps were put in a stronger position to do there job pull shoulders together.

Hope that makes sense.

Reason for dropping bb rows,few years back decided to rethink how i was training,saw a quote that said if you want to look like a bodybuilder train like one,started watching lots of training vids,esp. milos,charles glass and yates and started expermenting with different exercise,tried supported bb rows and just love the feeling of it over regular rows,very strict you can't cheat.

Got to disagree about not trying to bring up lagging parts unless youre at a high level of development,seen people say this all the time and just from an injury point of view it doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't train rear delts at all up until i developed burcitus and the physios pointed out rear delts were weak,i didn't train them because i listened to the google gurus over on another board who said you don't need to train rear delts they get plenty of work from bb rows ect.

Theyve improved loads from direct work which is going to help prevent injury and side on they dont look flat any more lol

Trying to bring traps up will help prevent the burcitus coming back hopefully and realistically im not going to get much bigger than i am now so its worth a shot trying to bring weak points up.

the thing is your traps and lower traps are different muscles. it is like comparing biceps to your triceps.

you can hit your lower traps and the bit about lagging bodyparts is true as well if people looked at their faults and were their weakness are then they would spend less time doing rehab and sorting put imbalances down the line.

TrapLowerHalf.gif

Agree with you,you can't isolate part of a muscle,thats not what i mean,I may have worded it wrong by saying targeting mid lower traps.

Traps can shrug up,pull shoulders together and down,ive only ever really done standing barbell or trap bar shrugs,shrugging straight up.In that position the upper traps are doing the brunt of the work because thats there function to shrug straight up,not really suprising that there overdeveloped compared to mid and lower.

I tried tomlet's suggestion yesterday and this morning ive got some nice mild doms in my mid back,so thats a good indicator that shrugging on an incline bench does work mid back,full of the traps will have been worked but mid traps were put in a stronger position to do there job pull shoulders together.

Hope that makes sense.

Reason for dropping bb rows,few years back decided to rethink how i was training,saw a quote that said if you want to look like a bodybuilder train like one,started watching lots of training vids,esp. milos,charles glass and yates and started expermenting with different exercise,tried supported bb rows and just love the feeling of it over regular rows,very strict you can't cheat.

Got to disagree about not trying to bring up lagging parts unless youre at a high level of development,seen people say this all the time and just from an injury point of view it doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't train rear delts at all up until i developed burcitus and the physios pointed out rear delts were weak,i didn't train them because i listened to the google gurus over on another board who said you don't need to train rear delts they get plenty of work from bb rows ect.

Theyve improved loads from direct work which is going to help prevent injury and side on they dont look flat any more lol

Trying to bring traps up will help prevent the burcitus coming back hopefully and realistically im not going to get much bigger than i am now so its worth a shot trying to bring weak points up.

Good post mate. Yeah, think I may have misinterpreted what you mean't exactly a little bit there.

To clarify though, I wasn't suggesting people ignore "weak" points/bodyparts...but my point is, unless you are already at a high level (and I'm not suggesting you are or aren't personally), everything could be/should be seen as a weak point.

I agree with your comments about injury prevention 100% and think its very important to make sure you provide a good balance in your training..e.g: many people do 20% more for chest than they do for back or vice versa. I think it's wise to train everything and use a variety of exercises to compliment each muscle group..etc..

Having said that, your muscular system is designed to work in concert so it's very difficult to target specific fibres directly without assistance from other muscle groups (impossible in fact). I'd generally aim to pick exercises which gives a lot of bang for their buck as they say. I guess this is why I've always favoured boring but basic exercises such as barbell rows over a machine..etc. although I can certainly see the merits of some of the fancy exercises Charles Glass and those other gurus come up with.

In many cases, it's often as case of muscle inbalance not so much underdevelopment, although you could argue what the difference is...e.g: this is common in respect to the quads and hamstrings.

SteamroD

The upper, mid and lower fibres aren't seperate muscles, it's just that the fibres run in different directions and the muscle has 3 functions and insertion points.

The upper portion elevates the shoulders...shrugs and upright rows..etc. the middle fibres pull or retract the the shoulder blades together (rowing/back exercises) and the the lower part is there to draw the shoulder blades downward (depression) while keeping the arms almost straight and stiff...so actually, when you think of the function of the lower fibres and how they move, it's likely this area will get worked more with shoulder work than back exercises...overhead press in particular...although this isn't to say the upper and mid fibres will "switch" off.

Not the same to compare individual fibres or heads to individual muscle groups (as you mentioned with biceps and triceps) however.

For example, triceps have 3 "heads", but it's impossible to isolate each of them without contracting the muscle as a whole. This is effectively the same principle here in regards to traps.

Having said that, it may be possible that certain fibres will contract more over others based on the angle or exercise selection, especially since the trapezius has three different functions as described above and is a large muscle.

This is essentially what I meant in regards to muscle "isolation" being a myth...it's not to say certain exercises aren't worth trying or don't work, just to be aware that it's impossible to work a muscle half way or only contract certain fibres while switching off the others. Muscles contract fully or not at all (all or none law).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back