modified high pulls video

TREBOR

Elite Member
Never done high pulls before but was thinking of adding them in for upper back,traps.Doing a search and came across this video,at first i though she looked ridiculous just throwing the bar up but as the weight goes up it looks like this variation with the sort of rowing motion would hit the upper back very hard.

Thoughts please chaps

Good way to hurt yourself.

Do some hang cleans / power cleans? Still explosive just a little tidier than that crossfit shit.

Just my opinion obviously but I'd rather do rows and a clean variation that throw myself round like I'm fitting out.

I like hang pulls but I do them in a more vertical / linear motion.I use leg drive and pull the bar as high as possible but not into my neck like the video. I find it brutal on the traps in a good way.

Good way to hurt yourself.

Do some hang cleans / power cleans? Still explosive just a little tidier than that crossfit shit.

Just my opinion obviously but I'd rather do rows and a clean variation that throw myself round like I'm fitting out.
Was expecting a bit piss taking lol,never done any of those types of lift mate.

I like hang pulls but I do them in a more vertical / linear motion.I use leg drive and pull the bar as high as possible but not into my neck like the video. I find it brutal on the traps in a good way.
Do you find them hard on the shoulders pagan,its the one thing thats always put me off doing them

No, if you play with grip width you should be able to find a sweet spot. Traditional upright rows tend to cause problems because of the relatively narrow grip IMO.

Love all the high pulls, hang cleans, and just straight cleans from the floor etc Trebor, although that does look a bit 'mad' tbf lol.

Pretty much agree with Pagan on this one, I go with a more linear motion, and hand spacing and where you pull the bar to can make a big difference on how much the shoulders play a part as well, I use them mainly as a shoulder/back exercise and basic core/explosive stuff, so although I do get momentum from the floor using legs and lower back, I try to focus on the final half of the lift and let back, traps and shoulders do a lot of the work.

Give it a few weeks mate and you'll be surprised at how you begin to notice certain body parts have added a little more muscle than the conventional exercises, I always notice a big difference around the lower bicep/forearm area as well as the rear delts and back/traps.

Cleans and pendlay rows are chunking out my upper back nicely and only relatively light as they are new moves. Worth putting in diff things occasionally for sure

Cheers lads,its back day tomorrow,what sort of rep range for these type of exercises,guessing quite low?

Yep, I noticed a big difference between low reps/heavy weights (6 at most) to going lighter and higher reps Tre, but maybe still worth throwing in a couple of those at the end with a press added, great CV work :)

Back