Reverse dieting

Guerilla9

Elite Member
Been hearing a lot about reverse dieting and Layne Norton recently and been thinking about using his methods when I come off this cut in an attempt to stay relatively lean while adding mass again.

Has anyone used his methods? Or have any good links to info / copies of his books?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a certain amount of logic to it, ramping up the calories slowly as your metabolic rate increases. I haven't seen any hard science on it but jumping from 2500 to 3500 cals in one day does seem like a recipe for fat gain.

I've always followed my instincts though: stay hungry when cutting, feed the hunger when gaining.

That's my point though.... Common sense comes in.

You just find a point you can maintain and gradually increase. Most people do it anyway. It's a gimmick.

Trying to market something you do anyway to sell his vastly overpriced shit books.

Plus on peds it's up in the air. I'm dropping fat on 3500 cals a day atm..... Just by liftng heavier

I think the way it's being presented is a bit "gimmacky"

It would seem fairly obvious that as you gain weight, your metabolic rate increases.  IIRC, on average there is a 15-20% increase above baseline per 10% increase in bodyweight.

I'd say that if you want to stay lean(ish) whilst gaining, then it's really a matter of bumping up calories gradually, monitoring and adjusting accordingly.  Like @Homercles said above, going from 2500calories to 3500 calories overnight is probably a bad idea.

You all make good points. Just seem to remember something about the carb to fat ratios changing drastically. I Believe I've always been pretty carb sensitive and would like to try and deal with it to a point. I won't be paying $90 for the book that's for damn sure, but wouldn't mind a bit more reading on the subject.

Losing weight and clean eating will address carb sensitivity mate, I used to think the same. I can twat 300g+ a day now no worries and you've got a lot more muscle and shift a lot more weight than me.

You'll be sound working your way back up. Be surprised if you don't add some serious mass as you do as well once the chubs gone. Your body will be that much more efficient

Absolutely....the leaner you are, the better you tend to deal with carbs/sugars.  Basically, the body is more efficient when you're sitting in that 10-12% range so if you're starting from a decent baseline, you should have no trouble eating a good amount of carbs without pilling on a shit load of fat.

Back