Wrist curls

E

ethanUK

This is one old skool exercise I never used to join in on at the bequest of my guru trainer back in Bangkok, he agreed oversize it was akin to hammering stick calves....you either have them or your don't and no amount of training will make alot of difference however he inferred they strengthened the wrist....he never used wrist wraps even in his 200k pressing days and dipa with 60k strapped on.

My wrists have been playing up alot....basically,lack of training, use if pharma winnie etc so in your opinion would wrist curls strengthen or weaken them?

I certaining have the 10mins spare.

Mostly my alpha man as fukness Mick....

Lol....I reckon after such sporadic shite training plus bodily abuse + a fav of mine at 20mg Pharma winnie previously than now suddenly training.....well starting to train properly again is just straining em.

I do have girl wrists for sure, not those thick manly tree trunk calve sized wrists some get.

Cheers budski

Strengthening the muscle should help with joint pain really - even people suffering with arthritis are told to exercise the supporting muscles to the affected joint so there must be something in it. 

I'd say there are a couple of ways to address this....

1) If you have a weakness there, doing wrist curls might not be the answer.  The wrist is a complicated joint with many articulations - flexion, extension, adduction and abduction - so just doing wrist curls might help build up or strengthen the wrist flexors, but that won't help if the weakness is in the extensors.  Think of 2 cables pulling against each other - one weaker, one stronger.   So you might want to do some wrist extensions as well as ulna and radial devations depending on where the weakness lies.

2) The problem might not be down to a weakness - but over use or repetitive strain (que the wank jokes, lol).  If this is the case, doing too much direct work will likely aggrevate the issue and it would be a good idea to use wrist wraps on heavy pressing movements as well as lifting straps on your heavy sets of rows, pulldowns...etc. to prevent more tendinitis build up until you can address the underlying issue. 

Some people simply have smaller wrist joints which are unable to cope with the abuse that comes with lifting weights. 

I agree with Mick - you need to address the pain/inflammation issue first and foremost before thinking about what exercises to do or how much.

I used to train wrists a lot as they were quite weak. 

Bar curls regular and reverse helped with both wrist strength and fore arm development for me

Would be interested to get @Mobster's input on this as I would assume he does a lot of wrist training!

Reverse curls made a huge difference for me

These might be good.

Strengthening the muscle should help with joint pain really - even people suffering with arthritis are told to exercise the supporting muscles to the affected joint so there must be something in it. 

Very true. Equally so in elderly trainees.

I'd say there are a couple of ways to address this....

1) If you have a weakness there, doing wrist curls might not be the answer.  The wrist is a complicated joint with many articulations - flexion, extension, adduction and abduction - so just doing wrist curls might help build up or strengthen the wrist flexors, but that won't help if the weakness is in the extensors.  Think of 2 cables pulling against each other - one weaker, one stronger.   So you might want to do some wrist extensions as well as ulna and radial devations depending on where the weakness lies.

2) The problem might not be down to a weakness - but over use or repetitive strain (que the wank jokes, lol).  If this is the case, doing too much direct work will likely aggravate the issue and it would be a good idea to use wrist wraps on heavy pressing movements as well as lifting straps on your heavy sets of rows, pulldowns...etc. to prevent more tendinitis build up until you can address the underlying issue. 

Some people simply have smaller wrist joints which are unable to cope with the abuse that comes with lifting weights. 

I agree with Mick - you need to address the pain/inflammation issue first and foremost before thinking about what exercises to do or how much.

1) A wrist extension is also known as a reverse wrist curl.

2) A common pain comes from hyper extension of the wrist in presses, benching and so on. Use of a slightly different grip (more diagonal across the palm than straight helps as do wrist wraps.

3) Look at cissus and glucosomine as well as anti-inflammatory

Most, if not all, of my curls are hammer style. On the odd occasion I'll do some wrist work inc wrist rollers. .

Back