Young Male Learner Drivers

Rudedog

What is up with this generation of learner male drivers?

They are useless look nervous wrecks, like they are driving a fuckin bus.

Was speaking to my mate in work who took his son out for a first lesson and he said he couldn't believe how shit he was! Could not get his head around use of clutch point.

Used to overtake them expecting it to be a girl but now they are all male.

What a beta generation of males! Jesus..

Was speaking to my mate in work who took his son out for a first lesson and he said he couldn't believe how shit he was! Could not get his head around use of clutch point.
What an absolute arsehole of a father. There's a good reason he's not a driving instructor, because he would be a terrible teacher.

Its easy to forget we were all learners once upon a time.

I know what you mean.... But it's not just their driving, the young men of today do just generally look like nervous wrecks. Too easily offended, wear skinny jeans and have floppy hair

I know what you mean.... But it's not just their driving, the young men of today do just generally look like nervous wrecks. Too easily offended, wear skinny jeans and have floppy hair
^ This!

The days of 'men' are gone, whats left is quite depressing. I blame consumerism more than anything.

Whilst being over-cautious is a danger in itself, I'd much rather that than a great many of the halfwits I see speeding and driving dangerously where I live tbh, and I rarely see the phenomena you speak of Rude, and driving with a hoody on with the hood up, wtf's that all about, I'd have ticketed the fuckers every time back in the day lol.

In any case, as the saying goes, "driving is a privilege, not a right", something many people need to remember when driving.

Whilst being over-cautious is a danger in itself, I'd much rather that than a great many of the halfwits I see speeding and driving dangerously where I live tbh, and I rarely see the phenomena you speak of Rude, and driving with a hoody on with the hood up, wtf's that all about, I'd have ticketed the fuckers every time back in the day lol.

In any case, as the saying goes, "driving is a privilege, not a right", something many people need to remember when driving.

I would of had a ticket. :(

Which reminds me when I was younger I got pulled weekly no lie. 18 years old black xr3i and wearing a baseball cap.

Had to produce documents all the time. Put a complaint into the police it was that bad, mind alot of it was the local copper was a bullying prick.

Haven't been pulled in years and years now.

What an absolute arsehole of a father. There's a good reason he's not a driving instructor, because he would be a terrible teacher.

Its easy to forget we were all learners once upon a time.

The post does make him sound like that bit I think he would be a good teacher.

Was just honest talk amongst work mates.

He wouldn't of made out to his son how bad he thought he was.

Thats a good point about having more cautious drivers on the roads.

I know me and alot ofmy mates as good as we thought we and even picking it up very quickly, alot of were pretty wrekless drivers in those first few years

I would of had a ticket. :(

Which reminds me when I was younger I got pulled weekly no lie. 18 years old black xr3i and wearing a baseball cap.

Had to produce documents all the time. Put a complaint into the police it was that bad, mind alot of it was the local copper was a bullying prick.

Haven't been pulled in years and years now.

Having an XR3i and being a young lad Rude, it's pretty much a "Rozzer Magnet" lol, back in the day they were a major choice of 'transport' for car thieves, so was always worth giving it a quick flash, you've probably already gathered that though lol.

You having not been pulled, does it also coincide with it all being on the vehicle recognition thing ?

Having an XR3i and being a young lad Rude, it's pretty much a "Rozzer Magnet" lol, back in the day they were a major choice of 'transport' for car thieves, so was always worth giving it a quick flash, you've probably already gathered that though lol.

You having not been pulled, does it also coincide with it all being on the vehicle recognition thing ?

Yeah could very well be.

Also don't see as many poloce on the roads as I use too. Whether that was because I spent most of my time in my car when younger I seen them more often than I do now.

I see this as a natural progression tbh.

Most of the people I work with wouldn't know how to bleed a radiator I'd say.
In terms of DIY, I was fucking hopeless until I finally had my own place.
I was never allowed to do any growing up - and it's prohibited when renting.
Almost all my generation are like that afaik.

Think how incomparably shit I am to my grandfather's generation at anything done with my hands............ then again I write code for a living whereas they probably would have thought a computer was a TV possessed by Satan.

This generation of kids are barely allowed go outside the door, so I guess it will only continue that way.

I used to overtake people on my driving lessons, I used to sit behind people doing 40 in a 60 and look at my instructor and say, "can I overtake?".

I could sit here all night and moan about the standard of driving in the country, it is absolutely, unfathomably bad. I regularly drive on the M4, M1, M25 and in and around London. People driving in lane 4 of the motorway at 60 mph, or coming off a slip road straight into lane 3 or 4 for absolutely no reason.

I get really annoyed sometimes and turn into one of those pricks weaving in and out of people out of sheer frustration. I have to stop and have a word with myself. All I want to do is sit still with cruise control on and get home but it's impossible in this country.

I put it down to weak training (being taught to pass a test) and the obsession we have with "speeding". I use the speech marks as there is a big distinction between "speeding" and "driving too fast". We have it drummed into us that speeding is the devil, the reason for every crash, the be all and end all of driving. We're never taught to understand the physics of a car, how it behaves on different road types, how to read the road, how to predict the unpredictability of other people, how to think and plan ahead.

IMO, to drive unsupervised in this country should be a stepped process. Firstly, not allowed near the public roads until you've passed step 1 which is a skid pan and private training ground, to get to know how a car works and handles, and get any silliness out of your system. Then onto the roads when you're able to navigate them with a sense of confidence. Proper motorway training should be included to, because as it stands there is no training or test for them at all.

I could sit here all night and moan about the standard of driving in the country, it is absolutely, unfathomably bad. I regularly drive on the M4, M1, M25 and in and around London. People driving in lane 4 of the motorway at 60 mph, or coming off a slip road straight into lane 3 or 4 for absolutely no reason.

The scary thing is that UK/Irl, while far below the expected standard and Northern Europe in general, are still leagues ahead of most of the rest of the world.

A lot of the driving I've seen in Eastern and Southern Europe would get you arrested here. Fucking brutal.

I've only been to Morocco in Africa, but those cunts can't even organize a refuse system. India and such places don't bear thinking about.

I agree with you about the speeding thing, my experience of the States was that, they weren't great drivers, but they were more patient (I've only been in the South tho - different on the East coast I imagine!).

Funny thing about the crappy driving index is that it correlates with the corruption index (or so I've read).

Back