Littleliam's Natty Powerlifting Journal

I had to do same Liam, legs were still sore on weds from squats on monday and made deads a nightmare, should be a lot better sticking bench on weds instead and recover for pulls on fri or later in week.

Good strength mate and reps on high weights.

Cheers.

If you say so Doc...

I've not tried pulling every other week. What's the reasoning?

I'm assuming no need to deload.

Do you work up to a heavy single every time or wave load it?
ive always trained deads that way over the past 21yrs mate, advised to me by one of N Ireland's veteran plifters. Ive tried every week also and I do go stale within 6wks (even on cycle) an dont progress much, if any at all, but if i go every 2wks then i can pretty much hit hard and heavy all year round (competition peaking is obviously diff, although im going to adopt a 12wk peak next time and just dead every 2wks, as an experiment).

deads are an all out low rep heavy exercise and alot of recovery is needed, esp when you consider your squatting every week. deads always stay with you if you keep everything else ticking over, ive had up to 2mth lay offs from deads but within 2wks i'll always be back up nailing all out 4reps again.
i never have or never will use lifting straps, my torso would tear off before my grip would give

example of my current dead session is:

60 x 8
100 x 6
140 x 6
160 x 4
180 x 4
200 x 3
220 x 3
240 x 6 ( if i feel another 2reps i'll hit them)

if still feeling good i'll work on to 250 x 3 and 260 x 3 (rarely feel that spectacular though lol)

if i were doing that every week alongside my leg training, i'd be bolloxed

i only go to singles when peaking for a comp mate and if you follow an every 2wks format, you'll be able to keep pounding it all year round without loads and deloads. also, deads dont lend themselves very well to high reps and drop sets, you're inviting a back injury in by doing that. keep the fancy stuff to your assistant exercises.

Might try this myself, would u do another heavy back exercise on the week in between or just approach back day as a deload day?

ive always trained deads that way over the past 21yrs mate, advised to me by one of N Ireland's veteran plifters. Ive tried every week also and I do go stale within 6wks (even on cycle) an dont progress much, if any at all, but if i go every 2wks then i can pretty much hit hard and heavy all year round (competition peaking is obviously diff, although im going to adopt a 12wk peak next time and just dead every 2wks, as an experiment).

deads are an all out low rep heavy exercise and alot of recovery is needed, esp when you consider your squatting every week. deads always stay with you if you keep everything else ticking over, ive had up to 2mth lay offs from deads but within 2wks i'll always be back up nailing all out 4reps again.
i never have or never will use lifting straps, my torso would tear off before my grip would give

example of my current dead session is:

60 x 8
100 x 6
140 x 6
160 x 4
180 x 4
200 x 3
220 x 3
240 x 6 ( if i feel another 2reps i'll hit them)

if still feeling good i'll work on to 250 x 3 and 260 x 3 (rarely feel that spectacular though lol)

if i were doing that every week alongside my leg training, i'd be bolloxed

i only go to singles when peaking for a comp mate and if you follow an every 2wks format, you'll be able to keep pounding it all year round without loads and deloads. also, deads dont lend themselves very well to high reps and drop sets, you're inviting a back injury in by doing that. keep the fancy stuff to your assistant exercises.

Might try this myself, would u do another heavy back exercise on the week in between or just approach back day as a deload day?

Seems like a plan - cheers - going to instigate after this round. So in 3 weeks time

Add in trap and calves work with DB shrugs/calf raises on the gap weeks. Get all my lagging bits up to speed, and work on grip strength

Legs after leg day

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351879855.575876.jpg

:)

yeah mate, i'll do a few of the usual suspects with deads like traps and low rows. i have to be careful, have an MRI in a few weeks, for a suspected labrum tear in my left shoulder, the prob has been ongoing for 4yrs now and stuff like lat p/down aggravates it

yeah mate, i'll do a few of the usual suspects with deads like traps and low rows. i have to be careful, have an MRI in a few weeks, for a suspected labrum tear in my left shoulder, the prob has been ongoing for 4yrs now and stuff like lat p/down aggravates it

Good luck with the scan.

I had to do same Liam, legs were still sore on weds from squats on monday and made deads a nightmare, should be a lot better sticking bench on weds instead and recover for pulls on fri or later in week.

Good strength mate and reps on high weights.

Cheers pal

Week 1 day 4

BENCH PRESS

Barx10x2sets
47.5x5
57.5x5
70x3
82.5x3
92.5x3
105x4
110x2 - was supposed to be a single but felt good
SLINGSHOT on for 120x2
60x10

DB BENCH PRESS

30sx10
35sx10x3sets - hands didn't hurt...

CHINS

5x5sets

DB ROW

55x5x2sets
55x15
75x3 - boom

DIPS

+20x3x4sets

INCLINE CG BENCH PRESS

50x12x4sets

PUSHDOWNS

30x10x5sets
20x20x2sets

FACEPULLS

20x20

Happy with that. 110double felt great.

DB rows - I have wanted to go heavy for a while so did and was pleasantly surprised. Upper back is in bits now though! Soon be pulling bw for reps....

Sry to Liam for hi-jack but whats it feel like?

I jarred my shoulder on bench about 3 weeks ago, and its still not right, feels horrible after bench wi bands y'day, literally like my bone is bruised and sharp pain when i move it, playing havoc with assisitance exercises especially on back day :-(

Bodyweight bench for reps comp at a mates supplement shop today.

Didn't want to do it as trained chest last night!

85x11reps :sad:

At least I met Carly Thornton!

The Gf managed 13reps at half bodyweight - rounded down to 25. Impressive for a girl....

She does "Pole Fitness" ahem, so has some strength there...

Back