Best British Bodybuilders

img015.jpgHe never competed as a pro although turned pro in 93 but i think Amoury Francis had Flex Wheeler type potential, IIRC a kidney problem cut his career short,look at that tiny waist and huge gunnage!!

View attachment 18445He never competed as a pro although turned pro in 93 but i think Amoury Francis had Flex Wheeler type potential, IIRC a kidney problem cut his career short,look at that tiny waist and huge gunnage!!
He was fab, came to our gym years ago to do a seminar, was in great shape, a good guy full of knowledge and funny too, was a real good day that:)

Good to see a Scots bodybuilder on here! (originally from Scotland meself)

Andy is awesome - at 43years old, he has mature muscle mass that shows how dedicated he has been for a long time

View attachment 18445He never competed as a pro although turned pro in 93 but i think Amoury Francis had Flex Wheeler type potential, IIRC a kidney problem cut his career short,look at that tiny waist and huge gunnage!!

Classic picture of amoury. Unfortunately he had health problems (was with his heart), in fact quite lucky to be here today still. Runs a tanning shop in london and a few other things. Really like the shape that he had. Again, timeless physique, almost 20 years ago he won the british title, yet he could stand on stage next year (looking like that) and no one would stand any chance against him lol.

Once again, the classic 'formula' that i always harp on about. 5ft 10-6ft, small waist, good shape, 110kg and shredded.

The same formula as chris cormier, ronnie coleman, flex wheeler, kevin levrone, dorian yates, dennis newman, evan centopani when they all turned pro.

When will we see someone with 'the formula' again on a UK stage? Weird they all seemed to come at once, the old school muscleworks boys (and dorian), then never to be seen again lol.

charles clairemonte 2.jpg

Charles again. That is bodybuilding!! Classically built and lovely symmetrical lines. Real quality physique!

Incidently, Charles had a Weider contract and was a Weider athlete. Can't say how I got this info, but he was paid a wage (out of interest due to the 'sponsorship' thread that was up a while back) of just shy of $100 thousand per year.

That was obviously back in early to mid 90's, so the value is worth more today. But that was just shy of $100k and from that he also had to go to a certain amount of guest poses (in the states as well as other international countries), competitions each year and also seminars, as well as usual magazine articles, photoshoots or Weider videos etc etc. He had to pay for transport fees out of the wage he recieved.

So, think, if you transfer that in to todays money, maybe $200k, or perhaps $250k with the increase in popularity of bodybuilding. But then minus transport costs of hotels, international flights etc throughout the whole year. Maybe you are left with half of that sum.

So perhaps 60 thousand pounds or so. That is for a top 10 pro bodybuilder IN THE WORLD.

images (3).jpgSurprised nobody has really mentioned Ian Harrison, one of the all time greats imo.

Very surprised no one has mentioned Colin wright ?
Excellent physique placed I think 7th in his first pro show against Dorian and Nasser could have really gone a long way if it wasn't for a prior medical issue
And like everyone else gotta mention fox Buchanan Davis Taylor etc etc
And let's not forget our very own posing maestro mr George

This type of physique goes unknown and unnoticed by the newer generations of bodybuilding in the uk because he isnt/wasnt given the same media exposure as others. A humble and quiet guy, keeps himself to himself and does not seek to exploit 'bodybuilding celebrity' at all.

View attachment 18435

As you can see, would quite clearly destroy any UK bodybuilder today. With exception of possible James Lewis... although I'm not sure who would get the decission seeing as Charles beat flex wheeler at the finnish grand prix one year!

Fantastic physique.
Saw him compete at the British Grand Prix in 97 iirc just after he has switched feds.

I think Bertil Fox should feature in those lists somewhere....:D
In the late 80's Bertil used to train at the gym where I train, he was there most days, a very quiet and polite guy from what I remember.

Back