"deep" Thinking

T800

I enjoy a good spiritual ponder every now and then and enjoy reading the books of Tolle, Anthony De Mello, Jon Kabat-Zinn.

What are people's thoughts on the need to dis identify with the mind. The thought being, we are not our mind, we are conciousness and the biggest mistake man made was thinking that the "thinking mind" was actually him.

Tolle describes the mind as a wonderful tool that should be used when confronted with a practical problem ie locating the bus you need on a timetable but over time the instrument (the mind) has taken over the organism (the human) and now man no longer uses the mind for its original purpose, the mind uses man.

Understanding this concept on a deeper level has really helped me over the years to partially ignore the incessant and random thought stream that can go through ones mind and almost disengage from it. Coupled with meditation it has been very effective.

However when I try to discuss such concepts with family or friends they look at me as if I'm insane (which I may well be :)

Any thoughts or musings?

Inb4 u wot m8?

After reading through that post i have one glaring question...

How "deep" is your love?

ImageUploadedByT-Muscle1454583277.044433.jpg

I think there's definitely something in it. I read 'The Power of Now' by Tolle, and it really helped me combat those internal arguments I keep having. I am able to recognize them sooner, and deal with them, so it doesn't pose a toxic presence throughout the day.
I like Tolle's concept of listening for the silence between background sounds as a method of relaxing the mind.
I've been reading Paulo Coelho lately too which I find helps keep me 'leveled' and focused on more important aspects of life.
It certainly won't harm, enabling yourself to disassociate a little, as people do seem to be operating on a higher level of internal stimulation (from Mobile phones, computer games, high octane action movies etc) so being able to quickly turn down the internal stimulation to a lower level helps relax, reduce stress and improves overall well-being.

I am also a fan of Tolle and these concepts in general.
Thing is it's hard to really do it every day.
Thus some days are better than others.

I will say getting rid of my facebook actually helped immensely for me to disassociate with external stimulation.

I am also a fan of Tolle and these concepts in general.
Thing is it's hard to really do it every day.
Thus some days are better than others.

I will say getting rid of my facebook actually helped immensely for me to disassociate with external stimulation.

TM is the only social media I have used for a while, got rid of Facebook a while back and tried to cut down on surfing the Internet. Realising that you are unconsciously and mindlessly using such things is a big step and like u by not using them any more I find life more quiet and relaxed, less "noise".

Reactions: Con
In the past week, I've done a lot of thinking about 'moving on' emotionally in my life and spent time 'dumping' past relationships, 'toxic' companions and influences - seems to be having a mentally clarifying effect so far [emoji106][emoji4]

In the past week, I've done a lot of thinking about 'moving on' emotionally in my life and spent time 'dumping' past relationships, 'toxic' companions and influences - seems to be having a mentally clarifying effect so far [emoji106][emoji4]

Yeah ditching the life drainers is huge for mental clarity and peace.

Can you recommend or point me in the direction of reading material mate? Stuff like this really interests me.

Can you recommend or point me in the direction of reading material mate? Stuff like this really interests me.

Of course mate it would be my pleasure. The two I'd recommend to start off with are-

The Power of Now by Ekhart Tolle (get it on audiobook if u can as well, once you get past his ludicrous sounding voice it's ace, I often listen to it when doing mundane jobs and it really chills me out--got a lot of my mates into it as well)

Awareness by Anthony De Mello -book can be bought on Amazon but I think an audio version is available on You Tube broken into segments, but I would get the book too because its succinct, digestible and really makes you think.

If I could pick two books for life these would probably be it.

Thank you mate, appreciate that.
Will get onto them over the weekend.

Awareness by Anthony De Mello -book can be bought on Amazon but I think an audio version is available on You Tube broken into segments, but I would get the book too because its succinct, digestible and really makes you think.

'Awareness' is one I can recommend, too [emoji4]

Currently reading "Wherever you go there you are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn, really good and recommended also.

Back