Diet Advice?

I’m looking to start a bulk over winter and wanted to know what reliable guide is available so I can work out how many calories for the bulk? How to split my calories into carbs/protein/fat. And which split is preferred for a bulk ie.. 40/40/20?

I have trawled the net but they all seem to have a different answer? On current diet I’ve been told to increase 100g carbs daily and limit fat to 90g? Does this sound right?

Im 40, 72kg, 5’10 and no idea of body fat? Been cutting on roughly 1600-1800 calories per day and cardio has been 30 mins daily of stairmaster. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape but now want to gain some size.

If you’ve been dieting for a long while don’t just switch to a bulk or you’ll just get fat very fast. Slowly add in more calories at 1-200 every 2 weeks and monitor weight gain. Yes it’s slow and boring but you’ve been eating very few calories for a bit by the sound of it and you’re also at an age where it isn’t as easy as younger years so you’ve got to let things adjust slowly. If you don’t I can pretty much guarantee you’ll be dieting hard again in 6 months and looking no different.

Yeh I completely get what you are saying. I have been dieting since roughly April. When you say slowly introduce more calories are these calories coming from carbs?

This is my reason for coming onto here to work it out. I had a guy do me a diet plan which I have stuck too religiously and has got me here. But now I want to take it to the next level and not pay to try and do it on my own. Is it not a case of starting fresh if I work out my weight/height BMI etc?

Put your food in myfitnesspal and it will give you a total and macro split.

No way are you eating 500g protein a day and 300 carbs without any fat.

I like the approach of
2 x bw pro
< 1 x bw fat
Rest is carbs.

1600-1800 cals is less than my 46kg wife eats, even ~2100 cals would be a deficit.
You need a surplus but only a small one as stated above. You also ideally want a baseline/maintenance amount you can revert to if too much fat is accrued.

This is my reason for coming onto here to work it out. I had a guy do me a diet plan which I have stuck too religiously and has got me here. But now I want to take it to the next level and not pay to try and do it on my own. Is it not a case of starting fresh if I work out my weight/height BMI etc?

Most of those calculators are rough guesses at best. Everyone is different. It won’t take in to account anything personal like you dieting for months. As an example 2 people on here are about the same size as me but they diet on more calories than I gain weight on.

Right now you’re in a position where you’ve had a fixed amount of calories for a long time. Add food slowly and monitor weight and you’ll be able to learn exactly what you need. Add 200 cals. If your weights still going down add 200 more after a couple of weeks. If it stays static then you now know your base needs and can add in 500 or so per day to put you in a decent excess.

Ok I entered my diet into myfitnesspal. I train 5/6 days a week followed by 20/30 cardio.

Attachments

• 3BC2D64A-EAA8-4BE2-8A0C-1CBDB3D8909C.jpeg
    3BC2D64A-EAA8-4BE2-8A0C-1CBDB3D8909C.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 32B9B24F-13AB-40E6-805B-EC4D103F869E.jpeg
    32B9B24F-13AB-40E6-805B-EC4D103F869E.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 84
I understand what you are saying so adding 200 cals how do I know what food to take these calories from? Ie carbs/protein/fat? If that makes sense?

Put your food in myfitnesspal and it will give you a total and macro split.

No way are you eating 500g protein a day and 300 carbs without any fat.

I like the approach of
2 x bw pro
< 1 x bw fat
Rest is carbs.

1600-1800 cals is less than my 46kg wife eats, even ~2100 cals would be a deficit.
You need a surplus but only a small one as stated above. You also ideally want a baseline/maintenance amount you can revert to if too much fat is accrued.
How small is your wife?!?
My daughter is 7 and not far off 40kg

If you are following a diet and it's working to reduce bodyfat; just a case of adjusting this to create a calorie surplus.

Protein will typically stay the same slightly lower if want as carbs are protein sparing, then carbs I would start at around 2g per lb of bodyweight and fat less than 0.5g per lb of bodyweight.

If you are following a diet and it's working to reduce bodyfat; just a case of adjusting this to create a calorie surplus.

Protein will typically stay the same slightly lower if want as carbs are protein sparing, then carbs I would start at around 2g per lb of bodyweight and fat less than 0.5g per lb of bodyweight.

Ok. So does it matter what food I take these carbs/fats from?

Back