Hgv ?

Reacher

Anyone here a HGV driver, or has or plan to etc...
Is it a worthwhile thing to get licenced for ?

Was a news thing before end of last year, about driver shortage etc.

What realistic type of wages can be earned and different aspects of HGV to look into.

What realistic type of wages can be earned and different aspects of HGV to look into.

Isn't 2can a hgv driver?

And my family owns a wrecker, a big truck that recovers other hgvs etc. Many people who are former wrecker drivers or just mechanics have switched over to hgv drivers, taking the agency work for £20ph+ at times..

does
40-55K a year is common now

I do 4 on 4 off so work 160 days a year once I’ve took holidays and earn north of 45K now

I’ve got pals on agency earning £1500 a week

does it look to continue like this for a while ?
Is the better money in staying away for days ( trunking ? ) or could you earn good money doing like days regular hrs, no sleep overs etc..
wouldn't mind days, nights, weekends etc but like to get home everyday lol.

Will companies / agencies take on newly qualified drivers or do they look for x amount of experience...

Just do day work on agency pal

£250 - £300 a day mon to fri

No ones arsed about experience atm as they are so short of drivers

Going rate around here is like £10-11 an hour I think. Think to get to a decent salary they have to rack up the hours, weekend work, overnight allowance, maybe get more for having ADR for explosives, or long distance continental work etc.

Going rate around here is like £10-11 an hour I think. Think to get to a decent salary they have to rack up the hours, weekend work, overnight allowance, maybe get more for having ADR for explosives, or long distance continental work etc.
Where do u live? That’s a low rate that is

Where do u live? That’s a low rate that is
Yeah, I've had drivers tell me that wages have hardly went up in the last 15-20 years. Most of these firms rely heavily on Polish drivers and are having a hard time keeping staffed lately so this might change soon.

Yeah, I've had drivers tell me that wages have hardly went up in the last 15-20 years. Most of these firms rely heavily on Polish drivers and are having a hard time keeping staffed lately so this might change soon.
Old Johnny flip flop will drive for peanuts tbf

£20 an hr is common on days mon - fri on agency where I live. £22 on nights. Don’t get me wrong there’s still the odd firm or agency trying to pay shite but no one I know would dream of working for them

Proper dead end job that mate. Unless you’re an owner driver.

Old Johnny flip flop will drive for peanuts tbf

£20 an hr is common on days mon - fri on agency where I live. £22 on nights. Don’t get me wrong there’s still the odd firm or agency trying to pay shite but no one I know would dream of working for them
Johnny flip flip? Is that racism.

They are grafting like fuck for it mate tbf

I prefer to work a lot less these days or I’d do it myself

You ever speak to wrecker drivers? I genuinely rarely meet people who work as many mad hours as they do. Our wrecker almost runs 24/7 through the cold months.

Back