Improving Insulin Sensitivity

tomlet1

Mr Glass
Top Contributor
Ok, so if trying to improve insulin sensitivity, through diet/carb timings...

On training days all carbs pre/intra/post.

But what about rest days?

I know some go close to zero on rest days to really improve insulin sensitivity and benifit more on the workout days window of carbs.

What im doing is say 450g carbs pre/intra/post on training days,

Then dropping to roughly 200g on rest days but higher fat..

What is more important for improving insulin sensitivity/limiting fat?-

the OVERALL lower number of carbs throughout the day on rest days

Or

still timing the carbs so your going periods of the day without any carbs at all?

Or will it make no difference?

For my education/to get discussion going... signed, omlettebrah

@Scott Stevenson @TinyTim @xjpx @Hilly @Con

Ok, so if trying to improve insulin sensitivity, through diet/carb timings...

On training days all carbs pre/intra/post.

But what about rest days?

I know some go close to zero on rest days to really improve insulin sensitivity and benifit more on the workout days window of carbs.

What im doing is say 450g carbs pre/intra/post on training days,

Then dropping to roughly 200g on rest days but higher fat..

What is more important for improving insulin sensitivity/limiting fat?-

the OVERALL lower number of carbs throughout the day on rest days

Or

still timing the carbs so your going periods of the day without any carbs at all?

Or will it make no difference?

For my education/to get discussion going... signed, omlettebrah

@Scott Stevenson @TinyTim @xjpx @Hilly @Con

Imo

Carb Choice

Exercise

Carb timing

Add in a gda etc

Gda's, Vitamin D3, Metformin.

Intermittent fasting, Carb cycling, etc.

^^ That might seem harsh, but Tom is actually a good mate in real life so he knows what I'm like and how I'm not being a twat :thumb::lol: (I am a twat haha)

If you want to improve blood sugar (which I've made a HYOOOOGGGEE conscious effort to whilst dieting this year) I do the following:

1. Avoid sugars (obvs)
2. User Berberine/alpha lipoic acid/chromium picolonate with every carb meal (pick one or two)
3. Take blood glucose before every meal containing carbs and 20-30 mins after (ideal range is 4.0 - 5.0 IMO. Any higher and I'll wait 15 mins, if it's still higher I'll take more GDA)
4. Eat carbs WITH protein (and fats if they're in your diet)
5. Food choice is vital. For me, sweet potato, rye, brown rice, oats and seeded breads are all I'll consume
6. I don't buy into nutrient timing, but if I'm on a "low day" (100g carbs) I'll consume them all post workout simply so not to cause mini spikes in blood glucose
7. Carb cycling works (very well for me)

This could all be a load of bollocks and made up, but this is just what I've personally learned the last couple of months through experimentation.

Fucksake @tomle t1 just train and eat and leave this shit alone mate :rofl:

You struggle to gain weight, you really need to worry about "insulin sensitivity"? :facepalm::lol:

^^ That might seem harsh, but Tom is actually a good mate in real life so he knows what I'm like and how I'm not being a twat :thumb::lol: (I am a twat haha)

If you want to improve blood sugar (which I've made a HYOOOOGGGEE conscious effort to whilst dieting this year) I do the following:

1. Avoid sugars (obvs)
2. User Berberine/alpha lipoic acid/chromium picolonate with every carb meal (pick one or two)
3. Take blood glucose before every meal containing carbs and 20-30 mins after (ideal range is 4.0 - 5.0 IMO. Any higher and I'll wait 15 mins, if it's still higher I'll take more GDA)
4. Eat carbs WITH protein (and fats if they're in your diet)
5. Food choice is vital. For me, sweet potato, rye, brown rice, oats and seeded breads are all I'll consume
6. I don't buy into nutrient timing, but if I'm on a "low day" (100g carbs) I'll consume them all post workout simply so not to cause mini spikes in blood glucose
7. Carb cycling works (very well for me)

This could all be a load of bollocks and made up, but this is just what I've personally learned the last couple of months through experimentation.

HAHA Its OK mate i enjoy your blunt outlook :lol:

i get where your coming from mate, you have known me longer than anyone on here and know think alot!

In fairness, i struggled to gain weight previously more so because working 12 hours as a metal shearer, prob one of the most physical jobs you can do!... now i work 8 hours in a chair, big difference in lifestyle which will undeniably have an impact on how i should approach diet?

It was more of an educational question also as im determined to stick to what im doing for once and not change for a good while, that in itself is a good move for me :lol:

its working OK so far im filling out and getting stronger but staying in good shape. :thumb:

HAHA Its OK mate i enjoy your blunt outlook :lol:

i get where your coming from mate, you have known me longer than anyone on here and know think alot!

In fairness, i struggled to gain weight previously more so because working 12 hours as a metal shearer, prob one of the most physical jobs you can do!... now i work 8 hours in a chair, big difference in lifestyle which will undeniably have an impact on how i should approach diet?

It was more of an educational question also as im determined to stick to what im doing for once and not change for a good while, that in itself is a good move for me :lol:

its working OK so far im filling out and getting stronger but staying in good shape. :thumb:

Haha mate you know I always mean well, and I type in the sarcastic (but loving!!) way I speak. Black Country style :rofl:

Yeah your old job used to be BRUTAL, I remember how hard it used to be. Just stick to the "foods that work" and be consistent, it's only when you want to get contest lean and really struggle (like MEEEEEE) that stuff like this becomes relevant IMO.

Hey @tomlet1 did you see that article link i posted last week about insulin sensitivity?

No mate didnt see it?

Haha mate you know I always mean well, and I type in the sarcastic (but loving!!) way I speak. Black Country style :rofl:

Yeah your old job used to be BRUTAL, I remember how hard it used to be. Just stick to the "foods that work" and be consistent, it's only when you want to get contest lean and really struggle (like MEEEEEE) that stuff like this becomes relevant IMO.

Haha black country style- i.e ABUSE :lol:

it's only when you want to get contest lean and really struggle (like MEEEEEE) that stuff like this becomes relevant IMO.

You think?

Cutting - reduce carbs, usually increase cardio, carbs generally more focuses around workouts, lower bf.

Off season - higher carbs, regular carb meals, less cardio, higher bf.

One, by design, is far more conducive to increased insulin sensitivity.

Moreover, common sense suggests that to maximise hype trophy you should maintain good insulin sensitivity.

For these reasons our opinions differ.

I wish I was less sensative!

I eat a big meal with carbs in I feel doped out an want to sleep.

I have resorted to drinking sugar free red bull with meals at work.

Abt 20/30 min after dinner I fall asleep, or if I can stay awake the feeling wears off then I can't sleep later on.
Caffeine and sugar = hypo, happening a lot lately..

So overall it's a pain in the arse.

Back