May 11 Brutal Set of the Month - Dips

May Brutal Set of the Month - Sponsored by BSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is also what I thought until the bench press comp as the joint winner did drop sets stripping the plates of them selves and people said this actually added to the brutalness of the set.

IMO, its virtually impossible to know how brutal a set unless your the person doing it, If one was to do 1000 press ups over a period of time then it would be vomit inducing in its brutality.
I for one like to do rest pause as the most brutal of sets, and also the best for building muscle, as your not dropping the weight your still hitting the deep muscle fibers, a flaw with drop setting IMO (just a theory of mine)

Not trying to belittle your efforts but I have always found the best way to train a muscle is with full ROM, slow eccentric, power up concentric (but controlled), and then as jstar says, when its completely exhausted do half reps and quater reps, rest for 10 secs and then try full rom again etc. The most important part is the full ROM and slow eccentric (negative).

JMO with experience, Each to there own though

If its anything that doesn't involve my shoulder this month I may enter, but you'll only see neck down as I'm very shy.

that is also what I thought until the bench press comp as the joint winner did drop sets stripping the plates of them selves and people said this actually added to the brutalness of the set.

+1 i purposely got 2 spotters to strip it off in my set to decrease rest times and forced negs, no way you can hit failiure on bench without a spotter not brutal imo.

Darkside i can see it now, start a journal documenting your road to getting shredded. You can call it

"Darkside5000's road to the Mcguru Championships 2013 sod the road its all about the destination"

Lol in all seriousness carry on with the competitions regardless of the results its good to push that hard. And try get the bodyfat right down would be good to see you on stage especially those monster quads!

I think any set can be brutal but to be brutal it's got to start heavy and you need to go past failure!

Eg drop sets are ****ing nasty!
A static hold can be brutal! The pain is horrific! Hold a static and fight it till it is at the bottom of the rep...

I think if you were to do a Tom platz style set as I do it's prob as brutal as you can get! You just keep going till you hit 1/2 reps 1/4 reps wiggles and finally just can't move it at all.... That is as brutal as it gets IMO as it's true muscular failure!

You just keep going till you hit 1/2 reps 1/4 reps wiggles and finally just can't move it at all....

Are we still talking bbuilding Jim or have we strayed onto your fav sexual conotation :lol:

Congratulations JStar for an excellent brutal set. A worthy winner. Please let me know your address and I will pass it on to Bulk Supplements Direct who have kindly given away this months prize.

Because of feedback on this thread, in June it will just be the mods that decide the result as we want to ensure it stays a fair contest and not one based on popularity.

Also, fair play to Darkside who has put in an excellent video each month. Every entry has been up there but just lacking the last 1 or 2% to get the win so I hope you continue to enter. June's competition will be announced shortly...

IMO, its virtually impossible to know how brutal a set unless your the person doing it, If one was to do 1000 press ups over a period of time then it would be vomit inducing in its brutality.
I for one like to do rest pause as the most brutal of sets, and also the best for building muscle, as your not dropping the weight your still hitting the deep muscle fibers, a flaw with drop setting IMO (just a theory of mine)

Not trying to belittle your efforts but I have always found the best way to train a muscle is with full ROM, slow eccentric, power up concentric (but controlled), and then as jstar says, when its completely exhausted do half reps and quater reps, rest for 10 secs and then try full rom again etc. The most important part is the full ROM and slow eccentric (negative).

JMO with experience, Each to there own though

If its anything that doesn't involve my shoulder this month I may enter, but you'll only see neck down as I'm very shy.

only just read this post, dips is the only exercise where I can't go as low as I'd like because I've got a bad shoulder (I've dislocated it about 30 times and even had an operation on it) so probably didn't as low as people think I should have.
the rest pause method is one I havnt really done much of but what you say does make sense, and when I have done a rest pause set they are pretty brutal, think I will start adding these in to my training instead of drop sets and see what difference it makes. Nice bit of advice and good theory cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back