Puppy Running Away

Does the dog walk correctly with you if you take the lead off?

No never tried. I live in an urban area and I simply use the cable lead where you can alter the length.
When I say "taught her to walk" I just mean walking at my side and not pulling me forward or back.

Very easy to rectify , however takes time & patience

In youngs dogs you have to build a recall , if you look at it this way what is the dogs incentive to return

Start a short distance , either on a long line or off lead . Use small treats to reward . Basically calm the dog with a command , here or come , I use here cause you can stress the word and it's easier for the dog to hear it

When the dog recalls mark the behaviour with a reward & praise , this is positive reinforcement

Over time the dog associate the command & body language with reward .

I should say use you body arms etc to encourage the dog in , the last thing it will understand is the command .

Once it's coming back u can run backwards before rewarding this increasing distance

Only when the dog is solid recall can you start to introduce recall under distraction ie other people , traffic , animals etc

I compete with dogs and train them if you wondered

Ps being interesting , as you are the motivator , once the dog knows the recall you can use toys ie tugs or balls to speed the process of recall up

No never tried. I live in an urban area and I simply use the cable lead where you can alter the length.
When I say "taught her to walk" I just mean walking at my side and not pulling me forward or back.

I live in an urban area as well. The type of breed my dog is needs a lot of exercise, so I was kinda forced to train her to run next to my bicycle while I rode. God knows I'm not going to run! After I crashed my bike a few times because of the lead getting tangled in the wheel, I had had enough. Now she runs or walks next to me without a lead. It's pretty handy, but wasn't a very easy task. Makes doing cardio a little easier though as now I have a running partner that never gets tired and is always begging to go, which is hard to come by.

I have a new puppy an Alsation/Staffy cross - 4 months old and very curious he too thinks running around the streets is a game the only thing you can tempt him with is food. So if he comes in when I call him he is rewarded if he doesn't then I close the door it only takes a minute for him to scratch at the door to come in - but NO reward for his bad behaviour. I am certainly nt going to run round after him no point the dog will always get the last laugh..... :lol: :whistling: :lol:

Very normal mate, its just a game to a young dog which is extremely fun for them seeing their owner chasing after them while they get to see and smell all these new things.

My staffie did it for a couple months but once trained him to recall properly he stopped. However if he sees a cat then thats it he's gone and I can shout until I'm blue in the face but nothing will stop him chasing, vet said it was a breed thing, staffies have a very one track mind and once they've set their sights on something they won't stop until get they it

My dog used to chew my hand and jumped on me when trying to sleep and wanted to play all day everyday, got on my tits to be honest. As dogs grow older they usually become calmer and eventually become your best friend, and loyal companion.

What Benicillin wrote "its just a game to a young dog which is extremely fun for them seeing their owner chasing after them while they get to see and smell all these new things" made me chuckle, brings back memories of the little shit when he was a youngster, was very disobedient and did what he wanted.

Some dog seem to naturally want to come back. Mine was like yours. But in the end i started taking little tit bits out in a bag and everytime she came to me after calling her. I gave her a treat. I used grill up little bits of chicken (one breast lasted a week) then leave it in the fridge to dry it out. Then cut into little treats. She went mad for them and i taught her so much i a very short space of time, just cos she wanted these treats so bad.

Sisters collie. She only had to show the dog (and i man actually show it) twice and it copied and obeyed commands. So clever. But they are all different arnt they.

I got my dog from the blue cross but had too take her back after a year because my job changed and hours were not fair on her. Broke my heart but was better for her. Got a tear in my eye now :sad:

My dog used to chew my hand and jumped on me when trying to sleep and wanted to play all day everyday, got on my tits to be honest. As dogs grow older they usually become calmer and eventually become your best friend, and loyal companion.

What Benicillin wrote "its just a game to a young dog which is extremely fun for them seeing their owner chasing after them while they get to see and smell all these new things" made me chuckle, brings back memories of the little shit when he was a youngster, was very disobedient and did what he wanted.

lol my dogs just beginning to come out of the chewy hand stage, any time I come home he's nipping and tugging on my clothes trying to get me to play with him, if he's excited then he'll mouth your hand and chew shirt sleeves when you try and stroke him. Glad he's begining to stop as it was royally pissing me off :laugh: Tried literally everything to get him to stop as well

DOGS ARE AR5EHOLES!! FACT!!!

I have 2 Rotty bitches. My eldest bear Rheeza used to run away all the time. Usually in the mornings when I'd be running late fo work.... We'd go awalk, let her off the lead in the park to go do her schizz.... sniff sniff, quick sleekit glance over at me and before I could shout obscenities the bitch would take off at top speed!!! RAAAAAGE!!!! I tried everything with her but aside from never letting her off the lead nothing seemed to work. She done that for about 3 years! Only every now and then and there was no pattern or telltale signs. She'd just run off! Now she's 10 and she just KNOWS better than to test my patience!!

My other wee bear Ruby, she never left my side for the first 6 years of her life. She'd walk off the lead by my side, she was always too scared to run off but this last year she'd taken to obsconding when she gets out the front door or the side gate of the house. Wee boot! She doesn't run away, she just buggers off and goes for a sniff and a pee in the neighbours gardens as it's all open plan, and she ignores my calm and collecting requests for her return! She also ignores my irate ones!!
The worst is when she spots a cat or decides to play with a neighbours dog or kids!! Makes me look a right fool!!

@Thebob what kind of dogs do you show?? I have a few mates who breed and show Rotts, DDB, Brit Bullys etc

Very easy to rectify , however takes time & patience

In youngs dogs you have to build a recall , if you look at it this way what is the dogs incentive to return

Start a short distance , either on a long line or off lead . Use small treats to reward . Basically calm the dog with a command , here or come , I use here cause you can stress the word and it's easier for the dog to hear it

When the dog recalls mark the behaviour with a reward & praise , this is positive reinforcement

Over time the dog associate the command & body language with reward .

I should say use you body arms etc to encourage the dog in , the last thing it will understand is the command .

Once it's coming back u can run backwards before rewarding this increasing distance

Only when the dog is solid recall can you start to introduce recall under distraction ie other people , traffic , animals etc

I compete with dogs and train them if you wondered

This is spot on. I only ever used positive reinforcement to train summer and she had loads of issues when I got her.

But IMHO as she is only 6 months old she will still do this - as others have said its a great game :)

Plus only do it for a few minutes , quick fast intense , as pups get bored and you want the pup going away , with enjoyable experience

Also If you act slow sluggish etc you will get it back

When Iv run pups on I don't demand loads , just short obedience seasons , working on drive building

Weebam

I don't show , it working dogs I have competed with , & other avenues which I won't post up ha

Back