Reps. Are They Holding Me Back?

Discussion in 'Anonymous' started by X-WINGpilot, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Reacher

Reacher Top Contributor

Mate im an over thinker in many ways so i can sympathise with you. It must get so frustrating if you cant just engage something and grind away at it with taking it appart bit by bit..

Not great for this game in as much as its generally a slow process, even with the best plan it wont happen over night and you need to give things time. That said you will ultimately find exactly what works best for you i imagine and as much as somethings are clearly good for everyone we are all different in someways so whats great for me might not be good for you...
    Try and yeah, i can imagine thats easier to say than do but dont get too tied up in the details and just push your hardest at each session where you need to and if a weight gets you to 8 reps and not a single one more then great, but if you can take it to say 15 ... also great but next time add a little weight and aim for 15 again, if you get 12 thats your target for next time... kind of thing. Try to look for progression in reps and when that comes add a little weight and start again. I work in various rep ranges of 25 and down to 8ish depending on muscle group etc...
    Just aim for a constant progression, you wont get it every session but if you push for it youll keep gradually improving over time.

X-WINGpilot likes this.

2. Max

Max Competitor

Basically..

Lift full range

Get stronger at varied rep ranges

Eat well

= big guy

Example turn your one rep deadlift into a 15 rep max and you will then be big.

X-WINGpilot likes this.
  3. X-WINGpilot

X-WINGpilot Full Member

Thank you for understanding, I love lifting its something I really enjoy doing. And your right I get caught up in all the information I see/read, it sticks in your mind every time you train. I had a go on my dumbbells today doing shoulders and biceps. Took on your advice and aimed for about 8-10 on the heavy working sets, but didn't stop once I reached it so I was somewhat in the region of 10-12 reps and it felt refreshing. I didn't think too hard about slowing the negative down this time, but just kept a smooth tempo using abit more power than I usually give. Once again I appreciated the time you took to get back in touch.

Reacher likes this.
  4. X-WINGpilot

X-WINGpilot Full Member

I like this way of thinking, something I never thought about. The more I get involved the harder I make it for myself. I'd see a 1RM as the end point usually but I'd never think of actually getting stronger with that weight. In truth I've never attempted a 1rm so I don't know how strong I might be with that technique. Greatly appreciate your advise, at this point in time it really helps

Max likes this.