Rob's New Approach

R08

Ok so I've been meaning to start posting more (meaning at all) on here for a bit, I managed to rack up a whopping 60-odd posts over on the old site in over 2 years so I figured the best way to make myself get involved more would be to start a journal, it'll be handy to have something to refer back to later as well.

My background is as follows, I'm a reformed fat man who has been training for 2 and half years, about 2 of these with any degree of seriousness. My somatype is basically 50/50 ecto/endo with pretty much no mesomorphic characteristics at all, I have tiny joints and narrow shoulders I need to eat quite a lot in order to progress but any kind of growth I've managed the last couple of years has come with a fair bit of fat which has to be dieted away periodically.

Currently I'm 6 feet / 74kg @ 10% and still dieting for another 2 weeks before my holiday although my diet has been reasonably gentle (doing BFFM when I would usually do CKD) due to me being in PCT from my first cycle and wanting to hang onto my gains as much as possible.

Cycle was 12 weeks @ 500mg Test-E / .5mg Adex EOD / 1000iu HCG Week / 25mg DHEA daily. PCT has been 2 weeks of higher dose HCG waiting for the ester to clear and then 50mg Clomid 2 * Day (finished thank god - made me feel like crap at times) and 20mg Nolva 2 * Day which will be done a week from now, all of this is under Hackskii's advice who was kind enough to help me out with loads of stuff after I shut myself down with finasteride last year. I was basically going to have to do a PCT anyway so figured I may as well cycle first.

Managed to gain 15lbs of lean mass over the course of my cycle and dropped about 6 or 7% off my BF as well, had no real negative sides apart from a bit of acne and some hair loss (which I'm actually welcoming at this point). Have dropped a fair bit of weight in the last 6 weeks (3 kilos the first week which I'm assuming was water and a total of 8kg off so far in all).

Training for the last year has been based on Rippetoes stuff, firstly the linear progressions and then Texas just trying to get some more weight on the bar as often as possible. I'm using the advanced novice routine at the moment as didn't wan't the intensity day from the Texas method while dieting so this weeks training has been as follows:

Mon

3 * 5 Squat @ 100kg
3 * 5 Bench @ 72.5kg
Chin Ups - 13/11/12

Wed

3 * 5 Squat @ 100kg
3 * 5 Press @ 50kg
1 * 4 DL @ 150kg (missed 5th rep)

Fri

3 * 5 Squat @ 100kg
5/5/4 Bench @ 72.5kg (missed last rep and had to be rescued by one of the PTs)
Pull Ups 11/8/10

Next week will be more of the same only will press twice and switch DL for power cleans on Weds then am planning a change to something more hypertrophy oriented as I don't feel I'm responding to the strength stuff so much anymore and I just feel like a change. I'm going to cycle again as well when I come back and am planning on doing exactly the same only with a DBol kickstart and then will PCT and stay off for a bit, possibly have a play with some CJC/GHRP…

My diet has been based on BFFM and I've been very impressed with it so am going with his 3 day split for my new training routine as well, will train 4 days a week (Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri) using the following workouts:

3 sets of 8 - 12 reps per exercise.

Chest/Back/Abs

* Smith Bench (so I don't get stuck under the barbell and have to squeal for help any more)
* Incline Dumbbell Press
* Cable Crossover

* Wide Grip Pull Up
* Seated Cable Row
* T-Bar Row

* Hanging Leg Raise
* Cable Crunch

Quads/Hams/Calves

* Squat
* Hack Machine Squat
* Lunge

* Stiff Legged Deadlift
* Seated Leg Curl

* Smith Calf Raise Off Step
* Calf Press On Leg Press Machine

Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps

* Seated Dumbbell Press
* Side Lateral
* Rear Delt Lateral

* EZ-Bar Curl
* Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curl
* Hammer Curl

* Close Grip Bench
* Lying Tricep Extension
* Rope Pushdown

I'm off work week after next in the run up to my holiday (which is also my wedding and honeymoon) so will have a bit more time to dedicate to really feeling out the new exercises, seems like a good time to start anyway, will train Sun/Tue/Thu that week as flying on Fri and am moving my workouts to PM (work lates so usually train in the morning) so I can get fasted cardio in every morning for the last week, have some Eph here to use that week as well which is a rare luxury as I do a drug tested job.

Weighed in this morning and down 1.1kg on last week so progress made and the diet stays the same, I'm hundreds of kCals over my targets but am losing weight so happy to leave as is. Eating right now is as follows:

High Day (Target kCals = 2989 - 30/50/20 = 224/374/66)

Meal 1 37/95/09

200ml Orange Juice 01/18/00
50g Oats 06/30/04
100ml Skimmed Milk 03/05/00
225g Fat Free Yoghurt 12/33/00
1/2 Scoop Whey 10/01/02
tbsp Peanut Butter 04/08/03

Meal 2 93/153/27

200g Lean Steak 72/00/12
2 Baking Potatoes 16/116/00
200g Green Beans 04/06/01
Large Apple 01/31/00
tbsp Udo's Oil 00/00/14

Meal 3 37/108/09

50g Oats 06/30/04
100ml Skimmed Milk 03/05/00
1/2 Scoop Whey 10/01/02
Large Banana 01/31/00

Meal 4 72/62/11

200g Chicken Breast 62/00/04
250g Pilau Rice 06/56/06

Meal 5 27/02/28

3 Large Eggs 18/00/21
30g Cheddar 07/00/10
50g Mushrooms 02/02/00

Total 265 (30% - 1.64/lb) / 423 (48%)) / 87 (22%) = 3535 kCals

Low Day (Target kCals = 2392 - 45/30/25 = 269/179/66)

Meal 1 49/82/09

50g Oats 06/30/04
200ml Skimmed Milk 06/10/00
Scoop Whey 20/01/02

Meal 2 81/64/27

200g Lean Steak 72/00/12
Baking Potato 08/58/00
tbsp Udo's Oil 00/00/14

Meal 3 53/25/07

300ml Skimmed Milk 09/15/00
2 Scoops Whey 40/02/04

Meal 4 69/34/08

200g Chicken Breast 62/00/04
125g Pilau Rice 03/28/03

Meal 5 29/04/31

3 Large Eggs 18/00/21
29g Cheddar 07/00/10
50g Mushrooms 02/02/00

Total 278 (42% - 1.72/lb) / 210 (31%)) / 82 (27%) = 2690 kCals

Will leave photos for when I come back from holiday as I'm sure there will be plenty taken and it'll give me a chance to get a tan. :tongue:

That's all for now, will update after my workouts the next couple of weeks and then hopefully can use this to keep me on track and get some input from more experienced lifters when I come back.

Thanks for reading,

Rob.

Welcome to the board Rob..:)...

Thanks mate, been lurking for a good while now in a bunch of other journals, just rarely feel like I've got anything to say that hasn't already been said..

Anyway, today's update.

Yesterday was my high calorie day and also a cheat day, I do 3 days low, 1 day high on my diet and every 2nd high day I weigh in and replace meals 4 + 5 with whatever I want, sometimes gets a bit out of hand but am losing weight consistently so not too worried.

Had a half pound burger and chips with a thick shake on my lunch break, got a latte, pack of cookies and a man bag of minstrels in during the evening then home and a sausage sandwich followed by half a tub of Ben and Jerrys. Woke up 2.1KG heavier than yesterdays weigh in but still (allegedly according to magic scales) 10.4%.

Off work so decided to train in the PM so I could get 25 mins fasted cardio in (5k run), did that then got my first 2 meals in before the gym.

Did:

Squat - 3 * 5 @ 100KG
Press - 3 * 5 @ 50KG
Chin Ups - 13/8/8 (had to use the chin up station instead of the bar in the top of the smith like usual and it uses a neutral grip which is not comfortable for me so got less than last week which was annoying)

20 mins intervals on treadmill.

Stretch, steam, sauna and then home.

Tomorrow will be fasted cardio (same again) and then working, back in the gym on Weds...

Cardio was done yesterday and diet stuck to.

Ok so today's update...

Minor change to the diet as I've run out of Udo's Oil so swapping for 12 * fish oils caps spaced throughout the day.

Workout today was:

Front Squat * 80KG * 3 * 5,
Bench Press * 72.5KG * 3 * 5,
decided to deadlift again as wanted the rep I missed last week so DL * 150 * 5,
and then felt guilty about ditching power cleans so did 60KG * 5 * 3.

Followed that with 20 mins intervals on the treadmill and that's it for today.

Tomorrow will be fasted cardio and then back in the gym on Friday...

Did cardio as planned yesterday morning and then worked in the PM.

Today was off work again so got up and did the usual 5k, got meals 1 & 2 in and then went to the gym and did:

Squat - 3 * 5 @ 100KG
Press - 3 * 5 @ 100KG
Pull Ups - 11/7/7 (had to use the chin up station again so couldn't kip and got less reps than previously with the bar in the top of the smith, will just use this machine from now on I think as it's usually free and I'll be able to compare better, it makes me use stricter form anyway).

Tomorrow will be 5k fasted and then working for the last time before my holiday.

Looking forward to Sunday when I can start feeling out the new routine.

OK so cardio was done yesterday and last day at work is out of the way.

Up this morning and the usual 5k, took 16mg Eph & 250mg Caffeine before, felt not a lot different TBH.

Got meals 1 & 2 in and then went gym to test out the first of the new workouts, did Chest, Back & Abs:

Smith Flat Bench, 50 or 55 (not sure how much the bar weighs) for 12/12/10.
Dumbbell Incline Bench, 20s for 9/9/9. Was expecting more here but was shaky so will stick with these til I can get solid 12s...
Cable Crossover, 40 * 12/12/12, will increase next time.

Wide Grip Pull Up, 11, 8, 8.
Seated Wide Grip Low Pulley Cable Row, 12, 12, 12 @ 70, will increase next time.
T-Bar Row, 12/12/12 @ 60, will increase next time also.

Took another 24mg Eph and 250mg Caffeine here...

Hanging Leg Raises, 12/12/6.
Cable Crunches, 12/12/12 @ 40, will increase next time.

Did 20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill, heart rate slightly higher (high 140s as opposed to low 140s) then usual on finishing, will up the Eph to 32mg for tomorrow morning's cardio session, might throw in a second run in the afternoon as I'm off work now. Will see how it goes, weigh in tomorrow and a high day with a cheat meal to finish then back in the gym Tuesday for legs.

Thoughts on todays workout is I'm already sorer than usual which has to be a good thing however, tris & front delts are feeling a bit hammered though which is a concern given that I have shoulders and arms on a different day, they'll always be at least 4 days apart though so will see how it goes and consider a push/pull/legs maybe if I'm having recovery problems.

Nice read through mate. Keep it up.

You rare Udos oil? Is something I keep toying with rather than plain Evoo to up my cals at appropriate times. What's it taste like?

Udo's tastes predominantly of flax oil mate, which is not nice TBH. Would consider using it again but probably the capsules rather than necking it off a table spoon.

Definitely worth using over EVOO in my opinion, EVOO is an MCT and is good for that reason but it does not contain EFAs like the Udo's does, it's more a replacement for omega 3, 6 & 9 caps...

Yes mate, well aware it's fat profiling is vastly better. I can't stand bullying fish oils and pills. Plus the cost just adds up. It's one area I know I don't pay any attention to and really should.

Cheers for that. My gym sells it so will grab a pot for my pro/fat days. Just going to replace the Evoo for it in mydaily shake and on last evening meal.

Cheers bud.

Ok, another update.

Yesterday was AM fasted cardio and a high calorie day with a cheat meal replacing meals 4 & 5, got a second cardio session in before going out to eat, took 32mg Eph and 250mg Caffeine before both although still don't really feel it doing anything...

Weighed in in the morning at 72.8 so down 700g on last week although the magic scales have got me at 11% this week, not overly bothered though as I feel I look leaner and more vascular in the mirror so probably just different hydration this week due to being off work, would really like to see single figures on there just once though (even though I know it's not accurate).

Cheat was quite tame for me, had an Indian meal with some friends and then a pack of chocolate hobnobs once home. Had half a tub of ice cream left from last week but couldn't face it which I'm obviously regretting now. :angry:

5k fasted again this morning and got meals 1 & 2 in before going to the gym to feel out the new leg workout, did:

Squat - 12/12/12 @ 70, will increase next time.
Machine Squat - 12/12/12 @ 90, will increase...
Lunges - 6 each leg @ 60, was wobbling about all over the place and quads were already numb so backed off and did 12 each leg * 2 @ 50.

SLDL - 12/12/12 @ 80, will increase next time.
Leg Curl - 12/12/12 @ 50, will increase...

Couldn't get near the Smith to do calf raises off a step as planned so went straight to the leg press and did 6 sets @ 100 on that.

Steam & Sauna then home. Am in a world of pain already so dreading the DOMs tomorrow, cardio is not going to be fun in the morning.

Double cardio tomorrow again and then back in the gym on Thursday to feel out Shoulders, Bis and Tris so will update again then.

Last update before I go away then.

Double cardio was done as threatened yesterday and diet has been stuck to rigidly.

Up this morning and got a meal in and then over the gym for Shoulders, Bis & Tris. Kept it pretty light as didn't want to fvk myself up too bad for tomorrow, got 3 big heavy suitcases to get to Gatwick and got to sit still on a plane for 11 hours, did:

Seated Dumbbell Press - 16 * 12/12/12
Side Lateral Raise - 10 * 12/12/12
Rear Lateral Raise - 8 * 12/12/12

EZ-Bar Curls - 25 * 12/12/12
Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curls - 8 * 12/12/12 Each Arm
Hammer Curls - 8 * 12/12/12

Close Grip Bench - 35 * 12/12/12
Lying Tricep Extension - 20 * 12/12/12
Rope Pushdown - 15 * 12/12/12

Weights will increase on all lifts at the next workout although TBH I'm surprisingly sore in the biceps already, haven't done any direct work for them in a long time and it showed so expecting some nasty DOMS tomorrow despite my good intentions!

20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill.

So that's it done, was going to do a second run this afternoon but just can't face it, got killer DOMS in my hamstrings still from Tuesday's leg session and running has been extremely painful the last few days so am blowing cardio 2 off today.

Will obviously stick to the diet for the rest of today, then weigh in for the last time tomorrow morning and update when I get back in a couple of weeks (even I'm not sad enough to update my journal at 4 in the morning), not expecting much change from Monday though so a depleted 72.? KG @ around 10% which I'm quite pleased with.

Will get pics took for in here while away also so next update in just over 2 weeks.

OK so back as of this morning.

Managed to get seven weights and 11 cardio sessions in while away and have still visibly podged up around the lower abdomen due to basically eating **** for 2 weeks.

Will weigh myself in the morning to see just what exactly the damage is as flew home overnight and basically missed a whole nights sleep due to the time difference so couldn't really weigh myself on waking.

Couldn't quite bring myself to pose and have pics taken so just sticking the one front relaxed shot in here for now to give an idea of where I'm at.

Plan is to drop back onto my pre-holiday diet as of tomorrow for probably 4 cycles (so 16 days) just to try and drop the worst of what I've put on and then get a little bit of gear back in and eat big and clean throughout the cycle making sure I hit 300g of protein and stick to decent clean natural carbs and good fats as and when and just eat a bit more if I don't gain in any given week or back off if I gain more than a pound or two. Been counting calories meticulously and eating the same thing every day since November now and need a bit of a break from it for sanity's sake.

Will update in the morning anyway with how the weigh in goes and be back in the gym Monday for legs...

Attachments

• Swirlied.jpg
    Swirlied.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 197
75.4KG @ 12.9% this morning so not too much damage done, quick couple of weeks prime and should be ready to start growing again.

OK, managed to sleep in and miss the gym completely yesterday, lost a whole night's sleep due to jet lag, didn't wake up until half eleven and had to be somewhere at two.

Still, must've needed the sleep and it's only one day so no great loss. Picked up with legs today, did:

Squat - 3 * 12 @ 72.5
Machine Squat - 3 * 12 @ 100
Leg Extension - 3 * 12 @ 60 (Couldn't get in the rack to lunge with the safety bars)

SLDL - 3 * 12 @ 82.5
Seated Leg Curl - 3 * 12 @ 55

Standing Calf Raise off Step in Smith Machine - 3 * 12 @ 95
Toe Press on Leg Press Machine - 3 * 12 @ 100 (Forgot to Increase)

So progress of a sort on all lifts, have given myself a significant de-load due to the increased volume from my old routine so no actual PBs for quite a while probably, should give me room for a nice long linear progression though.

Think I'll probably end up substituting the leg extensions for lunges permanently as they felt a lot more controlled and I was able to get a really good burn from them, was wobbling about all over the place doing the lunges last time.

3rd low day in a row today so a high day to look forward to tomorrow, will just be fasted cardio and then back in the gym Thursday for shoulders and arms.

Still no sign of my gear yet but it usually takes a few weeks to arrive so not panicking just yet. Am hoping to start my bulk Monday week providing I manage to get a couple of kilos off before then although will probably just do another week on diet if stuff's not here in time.

That's it for now anyway. Will update Thursday.

Today's update,

did cardio as planned yesterday and had my clean high kCal day.

Back on low kCals today and gym this morning for shoulders and arms, did:

Seated OHP - 3 * 12 @ 18
Side Laterals - 3 * 12 @ 12
Bent Over Rear Laterals - 3 * 12 @ 10

EZ Bar Curls - 3 * 12 @ 27.5
Seated Alternate Dumbbell Curls - 3 * 12 @ 10
Hammer Curls - 3 * 12 @ 12

Smith Machine CGBP - 3 * 12 @ 37.5
Skull Crushers - 3 * 12 @ 22.5
Rope Pushdowns - 3 * 12 @ 17.5

Weight will increase on all lifts at next workout, back tomorrow morning for chest, back and abs, will update after.

Back