Rs: Prodiver's Experiment - The Road To Gainsville

What's your thoughts so far?

I'll be honest - overall, mixed.

I enjoy the food types - meat, cheese, dressings, salad, fresh veg and so on - whats to not like?

However toward the end of the first two weeks, I could feel the appetite suppression effects starting to hit (as @Prodiver predicted) - and this could make it a challenge (again as the man predicted) to get the requisite protein in. Obviously I could lean more on WPC, but that just doesn't feel right when the ethos is eating more real wholesome grub, you know?

Gains wise, it can't be disputed - but we knew that would happen. I lost a little momentum after the first two weeks when I took a week off because of the sprog - so this week has largely been picking that back up.

Energy levels, once I get going, they are good - and sustained - no boom and bust, no high and crash. Sometimes feels a little harder to "get going" at first, but its all good and not at all a big deal.

Waist - my waist came down 2" in the first 2 weeks - but I just thought it would maybe come down quicker; I'm sure it would have on my usual favoured diet (same protein, moderate carbs, lowish fat) but there could be a million and one reasons for that and as said right now I'm a bit distended from whatever is going on.

Anyway - it is still early days - this is only really the end of the third week due to the write off week, I do believe the best is yet to come!

Overall, I think this is a great general way to bodybuild, it is just a shame my lifestyle has took a bit of an upset with the baby/lack of sleep as it kinda makes it hard to judge energy levels and how I feel etc - but I'm happy :)

Last edited:
It's an interesting 'experiment'
I find that I seem to suit to low carb eating generally and don't get the energy crash that many do.
I've no idea of the science behind if someone is 'carb sensitive' or not whether that's mumbo jumbo...etc just for me I feel much better.
I think I'd have to fall on WPC a fair bit in your position though, as much ad I like food and meat esp. Id struggle to put that much away day in day out and of course the cost.
I lost track with the thread a bit as it moves so fast but find it really interesting and plan to take some things from it for myself in future ( once my current injury allows me to train with some purpose...)
Great thread.

Wish I could have a new born again and enjoy every little detail as it seems so long ago since my daughter was born and time marches on. :-)

Sorry folks and @Prodiver for being quiet - I was maybe a little arrogant in my belief that the new baby would be no problem at all, having raised one already.

I was arrogant because I failed to acknowledge the 15 years more I have on my odometer :lol:

Knackered!

Anyway, I'm still on track, loosely - not as driven due to being tired all the time - but still trying to make progress.

So I had 2 good weeks before baby arrived (I think, without going back and checking!).

The whole week from him being born was completely written off - ate whatever was easy, and didn't train.

The week after that was 50:50, trying to get back into it but critically, got training again.

Last week was pretty much back there just a bit low in overall food - so although I didn't want to, I've been leaning on WPC again. This will probably have to continue since this little bugger likes to be fed every 2 hrs, 24/7 :lol:

Progress wise - obviously I lost all momentum immediately after the kid was born, and I'm still trying to get it back up. Having said that I know my arms are up another 1/8th inch (on the left - I think a little more on the right) and my waist has stayed the same (I think, too lazy to look back :D) at 42.5 inches.

My weight seems to be up a bit, around 120kg (fat cunt) - I expected that to come down if I am honest, but it could just be the test holding it up.

If I get this week pretty decent, I might just bump the test up to Prodivers initial suggestion of 1.5g (3x500mg shots) weekly - more through the fact that I am A) curious and B) got a few more egyptian test at a price too good to ignore :lol:

Really, I've had 2 good weeks, 1 meh week, and 1 poor week at this so far, bit of a shame - I thought I'd have been able to hold it together a bit better - however, hopefully I can get that momentum back.

Having said that, as mentioned, I'm still making progress, just slower since the baby - but what is it they say about footsteps... doesn't matter how small they are, as long as you keep taking steps :lol:

I'll hopefully get a fuller list of measurements up tomorrow if I remember or can be arsed :lol:

All sounds good to me mate, and 1.5g total is definitely doable and still what I'd call moderate - especially compared to some of the doses young lads are jumping straight onto.

Found a pile of these I'd been saving for a rainy day

View attachment 38745

- Egyptian Test E brought back by a good mate. Don't need to use them though so if you'd prefer something else, lets do it :)

Are you a fan of oral? :whistling:

No seriously, any orals in your plan?

BP I haven't measured in a while - since I was on the foodbank diet - and, despite the huge salt intake (18+ grams daily) it showed a clear downward trend. However that was last September ish. Generally, it has always tended to be on the higher end, prehypertensive, but then generally, I've always tended to drink like a fish and eat like a couch potato :lol:

I can dig out the old Omron and start measuring once we are underway? Just specify how and when you'd like the measurements to be taken.

RBC I have no idea, and I've fell out with my local GP surgery (cunts) so could be an issue getting it done :lol:

Some measurements, taken just now.

Waist - 44.5 inches, taken just below the belly button so it catches belly and back fat fully.

Arms - Left 18 and 5/8th, Right, 18 and 3/8 - taken in a bicep post across peaks (what peaks lol, they are fat sausages).

Chest - 50 inches, taken relaxed standing upright (taken by Lou).

Quads - Left 28 inches, Right 27 and 3/4 - taken standing, weight on leg being measured, tensed.

Calves - Both 18".

Edit - for reference I'm 5' 11". Any other measurements just ask but I think I've covered everything (refuse to post penis measurement :lol:)

Bodyweight is around 116kg - thats what it came out at around 4pm yesterday - but I'll confirm this tomorrow am on an empty stomach/post piss on the gym balance scales, and then take it the exact same way any time from here onward. Hopefully get a picture or two as well to show overall appearance; fat and not very muscular looking is the summary :lol:

Just an update here - I'm calling an end to the official experiment. With stuff going on with the bairn, tirdness and lack of routine (wee cunt eats when he likes, 24/7, no consistent gap) I just want to take the pressure off myself. That means sometimes just eating easy food, intentional carbs and so on.

So in the 6 weeks since I started - keeping in mind that there have been at least one week completely written off and 2 probably sub standard - I've put on just shy of an inch on each arm, and took 2.5 inches off my waist. Other measurements haven't been so consistent, but I know my weight has went UP, despite waist going down. T shirts that were baggy on me before, are neat on me now!

A mate who works away came back this week - I bumped into him Tuesday night. He went away before I started - when he seen me the other night he immediately commented on my increase in size, says he can see it accross my shoulder width and chest thickness.

Thats good enough for me, and enough to brand that particular way of eating as a completely adequate way of eating for bodybuilding.

This does not diminish the fact that other methods are also successful, before anyone comes in pissing and farting because they think I'm attacking their preferred method; this isn't MY preferred method either. But it works, no doubt about it.

I did think I might get leaner - 2.5 inches off the waist is good but being so fat I thought it would fall off - but given I done zero cardio (not even the brisk walks I hoped to do) then perhaps my expectations were a bit off.

Moving Forward

I'm going to take the bits I like from this method - the food choices are a dream for me - and add in my own preference, ie to measure and record, get it consistent and known on paper too. For me and my mindset, the combination of the two aspects will be great! I do think for optimum "get up and go" I need a little more carbs - but again this is probably my fault; at no time was the diet ever "zero" carb, with @Prodiver saying from the outset that if I feel I honestly need it, take a small portion of carb based food - but I was a bit stubborn with it :lol:

The blind area for me, is dressings. Very easy to take the piss with mayo, salad dressing, and moreish things like olives, nuts etc. By my own admission I lack the discipline so will take the mickey and have more than I should; recording and noting macros etc will solve that.

Also in the moving forward bracket is goal - I had none when doing this experiment, other than to see what will happen. In some ways that was liberating, but I think I really need to recalibrate for holding muscle, but getting fat off. I'm approaching my 40s rapidly, and a waistline over 40 inch spells danger ahead... I personally don't give a fuck for my own sake - but with the new arrival I'd like to be around at least another 10-15 years... so it needs addressed. For vanity reasons too, I've realised I am still holding a good bit of mass for every day purposes; but you cant see it with this waist, fat man-chebs... if I cut down, not even anything crazy just waist into the low to mid 30s, while RETAINING the muscle I have now, I feel I'd look good. Not bodybuilding good - but every day good... so that has to be the loose goal.

I just need the baby to settle back down into a routine and give me a solid unbroken chunk of sleep back! In the meant time, I'll go easy on myself, stress free, and rattle in loads of protein shakes whenever I can't be arse eating meat - but I just wanted to take the pressure of this thread off myself, because right now, I just can't do it justice - I'm just not disciplined enough!

@RS

Have you thought about the anabolic diet??
I've used it in the past but instead of bloating the shit out of myself using the whole weekend I used a Wednesday and Sunday carb re feed profile. As you've said the majority of the foods you enjoyed and so you would go 3 days no carbs then whack a couple of carb meals in Wednesday then back to strict for 3 days then carbs again.

@RS

Have you thought about the anabolic diet??
I've used it in the past but instead of bloating the shit out of myself using the whole weekend I used a Wednesday and Sunday carb re feed profile. As you've said the majority of the foods you enjoyed and so you would go 3 days no carbs then whack a couple of carb meals in Wednesday then back to strict for 3 days then carbs again.

Every diet in bodybuilding should be anabolic, you'll have to clarify for me :lol:

I tend to get immediately turned off by anything people have to give some sort of pish name to

Every diet in bodybuilding should be anabolic, you'll have to clarify for me :lol:

I tend to get immediately turned off by anything people have to give some sort of pish name to
Ha ha ok Dr Mario Di Pasquale is the original high fat guru going back to the late 80s early 90s. Basically the premise is high fat moderate protein and low carb. The original diet basically had high fat 5 days then weekend low fat moderate protein and blow out carbs. For me it didn't work as I felt shit doing two days of high carb. When I tweaked it however and did 3 day low carb then at the end of day 3 a couple of high carb meals to satisfy and refill glycogen stores etc. Then back to low carb for 3

Can't believe I've not read this thread before
Really good reading and feeling quite inspired to try myself.
360 posts read tonight and 162 to go
Think I might save a few for tomorrow lol

Don't get your hopes up, it ends rather unspectacularly on account of me becoming a dad again and being knackered all the time.

Still, I suppose it is all relative - an inch on my arms (and everything else up in proportion) in 6 weeks total with at least two of those completely cocked up (and no training in one) - suppose that is pretty good.

Can't wait until the baby gets a better routine and I can get back to it, this experiment has given me a wee buzz for size again :)

Don't get your hopes up, it ends rather unspectacularly on account of me becoming a dad again and being knackered all the time.

Still, I suppose it is all relative - an inch on my arms (and everything else up in proportion) in 6 weeks total with at least two of those completely cocked up (and no training in one) - suppose that is pretty good.

Can't wait until the baby gets a better routine and I can get back to it, this experiment has given me a wee buzz for size again :)
I had a lay off forums for a while and when I came back I ignored anything I thought I couldn't reasonably catch up on and well, this thread was already in the hundreds by then lol

I did read the ending first, which is exactly why I went back and read the rest (well 360 posts up till now)
Like you say, you've added muscle, your waist went down, training not the best, your not sleeping the best due to the baby (congrats by the way), what's not to like about the approach.
I think I need to read my healthy fats book in conjunction with this and change my approach as think I eat too much carbs for my lifestyle.
I'm not recovering very well at the mo, so I could see how healthy fats could be of benefit.

Anyway, hope the baby gets into a routine and you can get back into it soon

I had a lay off forums for a while and when I came back I ignored anything I thought I couldn't reasonably catch up on and well, this thread was already in the hundreds by then lol

I did read the ending first, which is exactly why I went back and read the rest (well 360 posts up till now)
Like you say, you've added muscle, your waist went down, training not the best, your not sleeping the best due to the baby (congrats by the way), what's not to like about the approach.
I think I need to read my healthy fats book in conjunction with this and change my approach as think I eat too much carbs for my lifestyle.
I'm not recovering very well at the mo, so I could see how healthy fats could be of benefit.

Anyway, hope the baby gets into a routine and you can get back into it soon

Going to tag you in every single post now to ensure you dont miss one single word of my brilliance

@plod

Last edited:
Back