Self Employed Help

ukmb

OK so I deal in signs and awnings .

Before Xmas a customer ordered an awning for his new shop front .
Bloody thing cost me close to 3k as It's been made to his specific sizes .

He was only willing to give a deposit of 1k . I accepted because we've worked for him in the past and never a problem

Now he phoned 6am today (we are due to install it at 8am .
Fukker said he doesn't want it.
Asked reason why . And he just said because I don't. In a rant I explained there would be a bill as it's been custom made and ended the call .

Anyway my question ... am I at a loss here . (A big loss of 2k)

The thing will NEVER sell to anyone else ... it's 8m long and a fuking horrible green colour .
And I can't return it to supplier.

If you have something written up i say you have a case. Otherwise its his word on yours.. take it to small claims, i sometimes catch bits of that judge rinder on itv and people sue for allsorts. They win too when its genuine like this

Have you got a contract, purchase order, invoice or anything where you stipulated the deposit of £1k and the remaining on delivery? You were set to deliver and he has pulled out of it.

Have you got a contract, purchase order, invoice or anything where you stipulated the deposit of £1k and the remaining on delivery? You were set to deliver and he has pulled out of it.
Yes mate its all logged down on email .

I'm yet to see what my supplier says yet . Maybe let me return it at a discounted rate but the rep is a scouser (can't understand him) and the company is from Belgium (can't understand them either lol)

I can't justify going on judge rinder [emoji17]

Yes mate its all logged down on email .

I'm yet to see what my supplier says yet . Maybe let me return it at a discounted rate but the rep is a scouser (can't understand him) and the company is from Belgium (can't understand them either lol)

I can't justify going on judge rinder [emoji17]

If its all written down and even without a formal you might be in a place to argue your case tbh... I'd be ringing him up very politely saying that as the product is custom made the customer is liable for the full payment as no return is available on the project.

Tell him he has 14 days to make the payment (give details of how, where to pay) and that if he doesn't you will be picking the matter up with the courts.

Depends on contract or written agreement consumer rights act would argue he is absolutely in his rights to return it to you at no loss other than deposit, unless contract specifies made to measure etc etc

Ended up offering him a deal ...

Discovered he's building a huge farm house out in the country.

As money isn't the issue for him . It's the fact he doesn't want the awning on his shop front .
Deal was if we install it on his farm house and give him 30% off ... totalling £8700 . !

Initially agreed . However said it won't be for 4 months . And when I asked for 50% holding deposit he wasn't too happy .

So looks like I will have to go down the judge rinder route lol

Why are you even giving him an inch mate? Hes just fucked you about royally?

If youve got the necessary signed paperwork (which you should have if youre doing this as a business) simply tell him what @A1243R said:

'I have signed confirmation of your order, please make payment within the term agreed in the contract or il take you to court'.

Give these fuckers an inch and theyll take the piss.

If youve got the necessary signed paperwork (which you should have if youre doing this as a business) simply tell him what @A1243R said:

'I have signed confirmation of your order, please make payment within the term agreed in the contract or il take you to court'.

Have to say I'm in full agreement with this

Only reason I'm entertaining the idea because in Blackpool ... he owns a HUGE amount of premises ... upon letting them out he points in our direction .
As I said money is no issue for him so taking him to court , he wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Wrong thread title for sure.

New one should be " bent over a custom sign and fucked raw, then tried again "

Question was what the best way to deal with it .
I was entertaining a cash deal with him however when he refused legal action it will have to be
Thanks

But youve just said legal action wouldnt be worth it for you bc you get a load of work through him?

TBH mate I would just weigh up whats more beneficial for you in the long term. Do you get that much work through him that it would damage your business if it stopped? Whats your average profit margin on the work he sends you as a percentage of the amount this issue will cost you?

Its all well and good being hardline but you dont bite the hand that feeds you if you cant survive without it.

Maybe just need to take it as a lesson learnt, especially with regards to custom made pieces.
For example deposits need to cover custom pieces and perhaps some additional penalty for late cancellations of install!

Back