• While members here are knowledgeable, they are not doctors and are not able to diagnose or recommend treatment for medical conditions. Please consult a health care professional rather than risk your health.

Shin Splints/Cramps Or lactic acid

Aztekk

I've started running during my lunch hour at work, as it's a good area for some cardio.. plenty to see and allows me to focus solely on weight training in the evenings.

I get severe cramps in my shins very early on, even when just power walking.. Is there anyway to combat this?

Is it just a case of inactiveness or weak shins, or is there something I can add into the diet to combat this pain.

I used to get shin splinters when I was training for the army early on, but I seem to overcome it last time round, but this time It seems alot more Unbareable.

Any help much appreciated.

i would be interseted in any remedies for this too as i suffer myself

How supportive are your shoes? Do you run flat footed? Are you running on hard surfaces?

I had shin pain running on roads with regular trainers. I then went to a sole obsession. Shop and had my gate looked at as well as how I balance etc, they suggested I get some supportive mid sole shoes which I did and run cross country until I could run on hard surfaces again.

Shin pain gone

Sounds like shin splints to me.

When I played football (many years ago) I developed this quite bad. There are two options IMO:

1) Rest, let it go away and then see if it comes back after you've rested

2) If it does come back, there's an underlying problem. @LittleLiam is correct, it'll be down to a sole problem. I went to see a podiatrist and they gave me a proper assessment including in-sole cut outs of your foot to wear with your trainers etc, sorted mine out.

Well I bought some proper fitted running shoes last year where he made run on a treadmill etc and seen how I ran on a PC then got some fitted accordingly well as it was my feet were ok, hence a normal pair of running shoes

But maybe a big lack of running on my part (boring as fck) much prefer my mountain bikes for CV but after a 10k race last year in 59mins I had splint shints for about 2months after so for me you need to do regular running

I also suffer badly with this, I can't do power walking as cardio anymore on prep. Although I'm sure I don't get it when on grass.

Back