Six Months In, Too Early To Change Routine?

Do you get more muscle growth of you take longer between sets?I take about 30 to 60 secs

no
but, if you take that little bit longer with your heavier sets you will likely get a little bit more out of the weight your moving.
ie 100kg bench 10 reps, 30 sec rest, next set 5 reps.
take 1 min 30 secs rest prob get 8 reps.

just throwing numbers there but little more rest will allow more reps next set imo.
reps with weight will give more than short rest periods in terms of growth again imo

Fullbody x3 per week is awesome for 'getting back to it' in the early stages but later on, once you have built up to heavier loads and are training at higher intensity levels, you just won't be able to sustain enough intensity for the whole session well.

PPL is a good simple alternative, although IMO I think if you are looking for hypertrophy as a main goal then when training a body part once a week only you need to training with higher volume. The study data, and my own personal anecdote, is that when volume equated (same number of work sets with the same load/intensity through the week in each condition), splitting your work into 2-3 sessions for each body part per week leads to greater growth than just doing all your sets once per week in a single larger session.

The only way a once a week frequency might not lag behind is if you do more work in total in that single weekly session than you would if you trained over two or more sessions per week. Basically that means, for hypertrophy at least, once a week training offers less hypertrophy per volume of work.

One way around it is a split I sometimes do and have helped a few others set up that has everything trained twice per week but using only three workout sessions.

Monday - legs, push
Wednesday - push, pull
Friday - legs, pull

Six-eight exercises total per session using mostly compound exercises. Reps ranged from 6 to 12 depending on the exercise, number of sets dependent upon individual recuperative ability.

Fullbody x3 per week is awesome for 'getting back to it' in the early stages but later on, once you have built up to heavier loads and are training at higher intensity levels, you just won't be able to sustain enough intensity for the whole session well.

That's exactly what's happening, it's Sunday morning and I'm still wrecked from Friday evenings training, back and shoulders ache like mad. I am trying to hit it with everything I've got but struggling to give it all for the 1 1/2 hours it takes to get through it. Towards the end of each of my sessions I find I'm racing for the finish line before I'm depleted, as for making gains, it's an achievement just finishing.

Mind you, this could all be an age thing?

Thanks for all the advice chaps, much appreciated:)

I've swiped a routine from an internet buddy from another forum and plan to train mon/tues-thurs/fri so an extra day a week, routine is push, pull, legs as many suggested.

y4mLtRUFPKMI79TW7OujgfGISl__Kvqu7pj80kG0kkbUvOnZmcghjZ0TI46YKie0kMfEA_UwBzvrk65W_pLpeF-6FCQ8BtVKcYJweIacv274HashsLCfVwt4ApM5tTkIMbiASdS4-B-vobS6c_Qb35vtal5gYl243eWvjhplGKpBzzLXQo8Hl2P44eebVIvBhtab8fD8AokipNnAbYTjdKwfQ

I did "push" yesterday and funny it was a lot more intense training muscle groups being targeted but finished sooner and wasn't totally shattered, good or bad, I don't know but looking forward to this evenings "Pull" session to see how that goes.

Cheers all:thumb:

P.S. are my traps still being worked above or should I throw in some shrugs?

Back