The Metabolism Refeeds Truth and Fiction

Ive used:

DP method, one carb/refeed meal - Lost loads of fat, easy to maintain, strength went up. loved it untill i started eating 'normally' (typical BBer diet) and piled weight/fat on. Attention must be paid to reinstating carbs and cals

Skip load - Not for me, Maybe i wasnt lean enough? but i think in alot of cases its just an excuse to eat crap and not feel guilty. Didnt agree with me atall.

Carb/cal rotation - 2nd or 3rd day higher carbs and cals. Working well, weight loss is slower, however i think a high level of body recomp is probable.

Noticed a difference today with only having 1hour refeed last night to the 3 hours I've been havin the last 2 weeks.

With the 3 hours I was still bloated up til about tuesday night/wednesday morning. Had an hour last night and only slight bloat this morning so no doubt it will mostly be gone by tonight once I've got all my water down me.

When i did my prep after about 4 weeks with no cheats at all i stopped losing weight then i introduced a day of eat complete crap all day to increase matabolism and it was amazing! i would put on maybe 5lbs by the following day but by the end of the week i would have lost that and an extra 3-5lbs to, i swear by i one day refeed

My personal take on refeeds (for me) is that the further out you are and the more food you are eating the les its of benefit.

ie for me...

16 weeks out, 350g carbs per day, 30 min cardio each morning....I don't think there is a need or benefit to cheating at this point and going a few weeks and just keeping the ball rolling would be best

getting down to the last 8 weeks though say when pretty much in shape and carbs are much much lower, cardio 45 min a day, you feel it taking its toll on you, flattening off much quicker after refeeds and the losses are slow although each lb quite dramatic int he changes it makes to how you look...i think at this point more regular (half day or a few hours once per week) becomes more beneficial as its becoming more needed to keep you sane and get some good nourishment in you keeping you away from any brink of tipping into a state of starvation mode

into the last 3-4 weeks say as you are pretty much ready bar the last 3lb or so....I felt that even more regular refeeds/cheats were beneficial. just a few hundred grams of carbs from some simple and complex sources every 3-4 days say...just enough to fill you up, keep you sane and I think help you push on and chip into that last wee bit a day or two at a time with much less risk to getting stringy, painfully flat and catabolic as feck

I think into the last few weeks people maybe get afraid to eat enough and don't realise how much their body is willing to process thru, how insulin sensitive it becomes etc. Maybe because many are chasing their tail being behind, rather than ahead of schedule...unsure

So in short my theory based on me....is

*Long way out - every couple of weeks cheat meal/night (although id have a moderate single meal with my missus on a sat night prety much always but nothing else)

*several weeks out - once per week cheat meal/few hours

*few weeks out up till your deplete or whatever - every days appx very small cheat booster

Not saying its right, certainly not for everyone as some just look at a bar of chocolate and water over....plus the last few week aprt is kinda reliant on you being 99% ready bar that nitty gritty bit that is the danger area to get off

I have done some pretty extreme stuff with cheating in the past.

2007, first show diet, was stuffing my face with crap 2.5 days out of every 7.
2008, attempted same, didn't work quite so well I thought? But there were a few things amiss that year so hard to say.

2010, first half, seemed to work. Morning of Britain I was tightest I had ever been, if a bit flat - then stomach gave up ghost and had to pull out.

Then spent next couple of months working to fix stomach, the problems had been brewing since 2004 at least, when I used to drink very heavily.

2010, latter half - nothing that worked before worked, eventually had to put a spurt of keto on to get in borderline acceptable stage condition, on stage I still had a good few pounds to come off...

So, in short, I have no idea. Extreme cheating/refeeding/face stuffage may have worked for me before because my stomach was malabsorbing - this would certainly explain why at the end of last year, I was struggling to shift fat where I hadn't previously - stomach working more efficiently, taking more from food...

Metabolic benefits - couldn't say. Not why I do it. In the past I have been of the opinion I would rather cheat at my diet, and actually make the finishing line (even if condition is compromised) than go at it like Mr Macho BBer, chicken-rice-chicken-rice-chicken-rice-fish-ricecake-fish-ricecake-chicken-rice for 16 or so weeks - and drop out because my head goes. Why should I suffer any more than is necessary to produce an acceptable result?

Back