Weight Lifting Later In Life

A question purely out of interest really!!

I have always weight trained from an early age, the bodybuikder look is the one i aspired to and was always trying to achieve!!

When I saw another muscular dude, showed the usual "something in common" respect thing you do etc etc!!

For those of you who didnt start training to mid\late twenties or even later, How did you feel when you were out and saw a super hench dude??

Were you one of those jealous people that turned to his girlfirend and made comments like small penis or "steroids" etc etc you know the type!

Did you ridicule bodybuilders pulling most musculars benind their back!!

Or did you feel intimidated, inadequate especially when with a girl or were you always impressed and wished you had will power to get to gym!!

Basically before you trainined how did you percieve bodybuilders?

Even though i'm still only 21, I will admit that back before i started training properly when i was about 18 i'm ashamed to say i would see a big bloke and say to my missus 'blatently steroids' as if i was trying to discard their hard work. Suppose i was just trying to make myself feel better about myself but acting ignorant.

Even though i'm still only 21, I will admit that back before i started training properly when i was about 18 i'm ashamed to say i would see a big bloke and say to my missus 'blatently steroids' as if i was trying to discard their hard work. Suppose i was just trying to make myself feel better about myself but acting ignorant.

So what then prompted you to get to gym??

Do you have same missus?? what does she think?

I still think that hench dudes with big rippling muscles are all steroid abusing, tupperwear junkie, genetically gifted, knobheads without a life....:tongue:

But I am mature enough to know that all those negative thoughts have their routes in jealousy.

So what then prompted you to get to gym??

Do you have same missus?? what does she think?

I don't know really mate, I was going to the gym at that point but didn't have a clue what i was doing and suppose I was trying to slate others to make myself feel better about having a sh1te physique. Eventually i joined a proper gym and started learning how to eat and train properly and just became addicted

Yeh have the same missus and she likes the muscular look and has no problem with all aspects of bb'ing including PED's

Pretty much just thought 'fcuk me,your big'.

Being small anyway always wanted to be bigger whether through height(that never happened:laugh:) or through working out.

Never really get jealous,envious yes.

I only started weight training properly when i got into my early thirties a few years back and only got back into the gym as i was horrifically out of shape after years of alcohol and drug abuse and it was more of a fitness thing than anything as i wanted to regain the fitness i had when i used to go to the gym in my early twenties. Once the muscle started changing shape though i spose it spurned me on to get a bit more and now i'm at a stage where i don't really want to grow much more but want to get in better condition.

Never really took much notice of the really big dudes when i was out of shape if i'm honest. Most of the ones i came across on the club scene were a bit of a joke as they would just stand there trying to dance in their tiny vests sipping water and trying to fit in, never had any aspirations to look that way and i still don't.

I definitely look at bigger guys differently now though, even though i don't want that muscle bound look i understand what it takes to get there and do like seeing the real freaks. Before when i saw massive guys i just thought 'roids' and that they just stuck a pin in themselves and they turned out like that!

never really use to pay attention to the bigger guys when i was a 10 st warrior

now i understand and appreciate that it must have taken alot of hard work to get to their size

have to be honest even now if i see one in a tight shirt or a cardigan with no t-shirt underneath i think ...Knob

before i started traning i used to look and think i would love to be like that but new i never would

then the penny dropped i lost weight and got addicted to growing muscle, and now when i see them am in awe literally, look at the big muscle guys more than there fit birds

Well I went to gym at 19 to try get bigger but gaining weight was impossible then as had metabolism of 2 men, how things change!

Then got to 30 and realised I was fcuked ! So started training then and got serious few years later.

Always been impressed by big physiques to be honest and don't do the envy thing over money, cars or physique really.

I did used to think you had to take steroids to get that big and it was instant muscle and turns out I was right! If I was still taking gear I would be massive :lol:

i have been traing now for aout 10 years, im 42.

i started because i sit on my arse all day in an office and it is my way of cancelling out the beer and the curries.
i dont train to get massive.

I would never do roids, as it isnt the look im after, i appriciate that you dont just stick a pin and boom you hench, there is work involved.

what i do object to is, roid heads that say they have never used anything when they quite clearly have.
im currently ripping the **** out of a buddy who HAS USED ROIDS, but swears on his life he hasn't.
his lying is fuel enough to keep me abusing him. :D

impressed with a good body - yes
jealous of a good body - no
apprieciative of the hard work that goes into it - yes.

this mentality is mainly due to having a couple of friends who are Pro's and seeing the hard work they put in.

Back