Why Do You Train Like You Do?

Con

Serious question....
Why do you train in the fashion that you do?
Sounds super simple and nearly silly but when I ask guys the question few have a good reason.
"I saw some big guys doing it"
"I read some research that this is the best way"
"I didn't grow using X and Y methods"

In my experience 99% of people stick to one routine without it giving them the results they really desire.
Also most train their strong points and neglect what they suck at.
Example: Training partner of mine he's a heavy weight big strong dude. He can smith squat 5 wheels deep for many reps and other impressive lifts. I had him do some rack deadlifts because he complaints about having a weak low back that gives him issues. 225lb for 10 reps took him to true failure he couldn't move the 11th rep! His logic for never doing deadlifts "they don't give me a good pump" lol

For attention that i wouldnt normally get, to make fkn people up easier, those are the honest reasons why years ago i trained :)

I would say just find it more effective, you know yourself con that over the years you constantly tweak and fine tune your workouts as you listen to your body.
My problem is that i always go full bore, fine when on gear but when coming off usually means i burn out or i wind up spinning those wheels.

Reactions: Con
Train like i do simply because it works for me and always has since i adopted it and tailored it to suit me. Today i just train to maintain, as in retain as much mass as i can, keep strong and be healthy, drug free. There's no need to change anything. I'm 100% confident if the inclination to compete in either bb or pl came back, the basic regime with a few choice peds thrown into the mix would be devastatingly effective.

Doing full body stuff now cos it's easier, more enjoyable, and less taxing on my body leaving me some energy after a workout.

PPL was good but my workouts were killing me.

To gain as much muscle as possible in the shortest time possible without wasting any effort.

I had a good grounding in traditional weight training from a Mr Britain in the 70s, which was sound, but have read widely on physiology, HIT and diet...

i train by feel

I've tried training programs and don't feel like I've worked harder than if i go by feel

i pick exercises on feel too

if an excretes doesn't give me a pump or i cant feel it, i don't do it

I used to train PPL but I found it was taking too long in the gym - I like to get in done and get out.

Now I do:

Mon - Shoulders & Tris
Tues - Back & Rear Delts

Thurs - Legs
Fri - Chest & Bis

I'm thinking about swapping Mon to Chest & Bis and Fri to Shoulders & Tris so as to 'pull out the tightness' from the chest day with back the following day. Any thoughts @Con ?

Serious question....
Why do you train in the fashion that you do?

Because I want to be good at what I do i.e train handstands 6 x days a week to progress to freestanding weighted HSPU / 90 degree HSPU and eventually OAH.

And pull ups x 3 a week adding weight whenever possible to become fucking good at them.

Plus other weight training stuff to balance my strengths out.

Coupled with good diet / recovery and log monitoring I see no reason not to accomplish my goals.

My buddy got me into the heavy training...I used spend two hours in the gym .tarely trained legs all chest and shoulders etc .... Met him in oz told me get off the pussy weights ,got on the gear up and went from 70-125 bench 130-230 deadlift 110-170 squat ..don't think it's bad over 3 years of training 3 days for an hour a session..

Because I spent a year reading about training before entering the gym, and decided that what I settled on made logical sense and some scientific sense.

My philosophy has changed little over the years, although I have on occasion tried other methods, with only regression to show for them.

Normally follow a routine but just started freestyling my workouts and really enjoying just going by feel. Follow upper lower but just go with the flow. Feels quite liberating after years of following something set in stone.

I train like i do because i enjoy it, pretty much that simple. For me gym is about unwinding switching off relaxing clearing my head and "muscles" are merely a side effect.

Back