Wishing Your Life Away?

lately a thought struck me and i was thinking, is life basically just waiting for good things to happen, how do you enjoy the present,say your dieting for a show, each day upto it your hoping its bed time etc so another day is down,same with the week, your hoping its the weekend, same with holidays your just waiting, how do you stop feeling like that?

or is that basically life summed up, small daily sacrifices untill the event or whatever your looking forward too,are you one of them people that enjoy the moment ? can you change your thought process to enjoy the preasent day? bit of waffle but am sure you will get idea

to quote the man himself

tumblr_m2c7vaUDdH1rsmsy4o1_500.jpg

lately a thought struck me and i was thinking, is life basically just waiting for good things to happen, how do you enjoy the present,say your dieting for a show, each day upto it your hoping its bed time etc so another day is down,same with the week, your hoping its the weekend, same with holidays your just waiting, how do you stop feeling like that?

or is that basically life summed up, small daily sacrifices untill the event or whatever your looking forward too,are you one of them people that enjoy the moment ? can you change your thought process to enjoy the preasent day? bit of waffle but am sure you will get idea

Guilty as charged, I was always looking for the next party, next holiday, next bar, next payday, everything which I didn't have at that time!!

Now I am much happier with the present, took quite a while to slow myself down and to appreciate the things what I had.

Bit of a materialistic way of looking at life.
I end up all over the place doing 101 different things to earn money so I don't have a job that's same shot different day so most the time I look at the clock thinking times running out going away too quick rather than wishing it away.

I look forward to coming home and seeing my kids, but if I had them all day everyday I wouldn't feel this way.
Same as fast food on a diet...
Or a sunny day ATM.

We are very lucky in many ways ,especially living in a civilized country that we can do these things.

Most the things you mentioned are highlights not things I revolve my life around.

It's an age thing. As HG said, we all wish it was the weekend, 5 o'clock or holiday time etc when we're young

When you get older you'll cherish your available time more, whether it be on your own or with loved ones, gym, club, footy.

I look forward to holidays and the weekend still but I don't wish it was happening right now, I enjoy the ride and on a Monday morning I look forward to what the week ahead has to bring.

Last edited:
I can phases of it like, i do wish a was doing soemthing else but then when am doing that its not even that good if that makese sense?

Sometimes im in work and a whish a can get off to finish but then when am in rs am bored anyway? Make sense or complete shite?

Im not a "unhappy" person fat from it... But boredem is a killer for me

Currently not happy with my life situation at the moment..so can not 'enjoy' being in the present moment as it's hell tbh.

So striving to be proactive in sorting it out, and live in hope that'll I'll be able to fix it.. if not then I'm out.

IVe been reading and listening to lots of motivation and inspiration stuff by successful people. Some very interesting things they do. Every day they have a plan of what they want to achieve. Even something small they will write it down and cross it off a list.
I'm guilty of living for days off and pay day. I don't want to be like that anymore. I'm looking for employment and focus that occurs every day. Weirdly when I was assisted chemically I was very goal focused every day with training and meals and that rubbed off into other areas.

IVe been reading and listening to lots of motivation and inspiration stuff by successful people. Some very interesting things they do. Every day they have a plan of what they want to achieve. Even something small they will write it down and cross it off a list.
I'm guilty of living for days off and pay day. I don't want to be like that anymore. I'm looking for employment and focus that occurs every day. Weirdly when I was assisted chemically I was very goal focused every day with training and meals and that rubbed off into other areas.
Im sure @Con does something like that or at least a mental note

I do this every day now... even if I go to work.. I write on list 'work' and cross it off as I do it. Same for gym, shop etc.. lol

Just helps to channel your focus on day to day stuff better and keep pushing forward to reaching your goals..

Currently not happy with my life situation at the moment..so can not 'enjoy' being in the present moment as it's hell tbh.

So striving to be proactive in sorting it out, and live in hope that'll I'll be able to fix it.. if not then I'm out.

SRS question Cyborg- have you ever been genuinely happy?

Yes I listen to motivational audio books and so on.
I suffer from this badly but as long as I keep reminding my self (some times several times in one day!!!) then I can control it.

Example: Dieting for shows i feel pretty fucking shit atm so I often think "i can't wait to be done dieting" or "i cant wait to go to sleep" or "i can't wait for tomorrow to come".
I remind my self that I need to enjoy every fucking second because trust me the second some thing bad happens all you want is to be given some more time!
When you're in hospital and some thing is wrong all you want is to have these "shitty days" again!!!
If your family member were to die all you would want is these evenings to spend with them again!

Recognize when you're feeling like that.
Realize that life does not last forever and you have to be present in this moment.
Suck it up!

I like to embrace how I feel.
Feel really shitty right now all tired and sluggish? Really get into that feeling. Then take your stimulant or whatever you do to feel better. As you start to feel more energetic and better REALLY enjoy this change.
That's why it's key to always have periods of not taking things that make you feel good.
If you normally have coffee right when you wake up. Instead wait for 4 hours or so and grind through THEN have the coffee and my god do you enjoy that coffee!!!

I always keep busy with stuff, i therefore never really get bored and don't get time to wish my life away.
As has already been said, things change as you get older, there never seems to be as much time when you've got nothing on so to speak. I do a lot of driving at work and it's good thinking time for me but it's not really me wishing stuff, more planning the job i'm going to or what task or things i have to do when i get back home.
Life really is what you make of it.

This is something I have been mindful of recently as a friend always seems to be looking forward to x or can't wait for y to happen.

I very very rarely look forward to anything happening. I have goals and directions I plan for but I don't spend time wishing to fast forward in time.

Time fleets so quickly and there is so much to be done everyday. There is also so much to enjoy and experience in the present than getting distracted by reminiscing or living in an imagined state of what may or may not be.

In the words of catatonia, "expectancy will always spoil a party".

J

Back