afyer how many years training did you develop proper pecs?

Big fan of declines,i switched over to them after the burcitus in my shoulder settled down,more chest less shoulder involvement for me,up to now no probs with shoulder,only downside is the blood going to the head.

After many a year I'm still struggling to develope some hench like tits..... I feel my current routine is making inroads but it's not my most gifted area

decline feels weird to me, i cant concentrate on the lift all i can think about is sliding head 1st onto the floor

I've not read it, and I'm not sure if it backs up or goes against what I've said - but I would take studies on things like this with a pinch of salt, I'd rather go of personal experience and experience of others. If it were a study on engines then fair enough, but it's on the human body whereby individuality comes into play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting study, but I think the most important part was the discussion chapter when they comment on other studies showing the opposite result and the differences in testing methods, as well as the need to perform more studies, under different levels of fatigue, also mentioning the different grips etc.

Lots of factors, that in my book mean what we all know more or less: There are no good nor bad exercises/grips/methods. Just try them out and find what works best for you

good points.

IFBB pro phil hernon believes in decline only for chest and has all his clients train this way.

dante who created dc believes in no flat bench at all i believe

kevin levrone was a big advocate of flat bench i believe

I think it comes down to your body make up and picking a movements better suited to ure mechanics

good points.

IFBB pro phil hernon believes in decline only for chest and has all his clients train this way.

I think it comes down to your body make up and picking a movements better suited to ure mechanics

that part is very true IME, some will find some excersises/grip very uncomfortable and almost useless compared to others.

I find shit like this funny.....its like a religious debate, its moronic.

Resistance is resistance. Find what works for you is all I say.

People ask what my routine is and they are generally quite surprised when I say I dont have one.

To answer the original question I would say about 18months to get the base shape, not what I call a true developed pectorlis, no way.

People have different ideas to what a pec is to others. A lot of people have saggy tits and to them its a pec.

Oh and I wouldnt take one ounce of what the 'pros' say as gospel as what you will find out if you have been in this game long enough and gotten to speak to them, is that they lie, a lot.

Some love spreading dis-information and watching dickheads lap it up. I would as well just for shits and giggles.

Phil Hernon sells what he can btw.

my point was that all top people believe different things and yet all progress. not that you should listen and follow some1 with awesome genetics

good points.

Good point!

I personally hate flat barbell bench press. Flat dumbell is ok.

Incline bench press is ok, and incline dumbell i like.

Decline barbell is excellent for me, personall, in terms of movement and mechanics.

An odd question I know and I don't think I worded this thread title very well. Do after how many years training did you start developing proper a developed chest?

Hard one to answer as there are many factors ,but I think 2 years is a good mark for decent chest mass.

I rarely do barbells for chest in all my years of training. I find they hit my shoulders before my chest and so my chest doesn't get the most benefit.

At the moment I do 3 pressing exercises and one flye for chest. I normally always include Inclined DB Bench, tho I never incline more than 30degrees as too much incline again hits the shoulders too much.

As for decline, I think it works to some extent and is good to throw in now and then for change, but it's by no means a staple for me. If using Decline DB then a spotter is definitely required to push you up at the end of the set.

Back