Help sort my shit calves

@powerhouse_ad. Thanks for that. I've been trying to put calf training into my workouts but by the time I'm done my normal routine I'm either too fucked or need to dash off. This should be easier to work into my days.

If you have the time hill walking is a good option, excellent for cardio vascular health too.

Since I've been walking more all aspects of my legs have exploded tbh

If you have the time hill walking is a good option, excellent for cardio vascular health too.

Since I've been walking more all aspects of my legs have exploded tbh

Mick, I do quite a lot of walking currently and can't say it's helpped much,few hills but I live in a pretty flat area. I used to ride bikes pretty seriously but my calves are just shit. I'm flat footed and think I tend to walk on my heels rather than pushing off my toes, I'm in the process of trying to alter my gate to make more use of of my calves but tats easier said than done after walking this way all my life lol

Mick, I do quite a lot of walking currently and can't say it's helpped much,few hills but I live in a pretty flat area. I used to ride bikes pretty seriously but my calves are just shit. I'm flat footed and think I tend to walk on my heels rather than pushing off my toes, I'm in the process of trying to alter my gate to make more use of of my calves but tats easier said than done after walking this way all my life lol
That's the difference mate I have real high arches so much so had to invest in some trainers that stopped my extreme calf pumps / shin spints when walking

They were slowly murdering my shins and my soul :)

Here's what I got got taught by someone who was one of Dennis James training partners and yes I did have to write that ,lol cause it's fond memories.

Ok...pesonally I don't have bad insertions ,I'm short also and purposely I neglect my calves til I reach a previous high BW and sure enough from walking/cycling....standing,body signals sayinng 'hey this wanker weighs more,grow!'

Anyhow sure enough they grow on auto to the size I'd trained them too before then I hit them.

Right old Thai training partner ,only 22 had pisspoor calves so it was always on the menu.

First off a:

Standing raise M/C - with some serious stretch. 1/2 sec hold your contraction so you know its just calves.

30 reps Feet ahead

30 reps  Feet outward [tricky]

30 reps feet inward

I know they'll be people thinking but that sounds like hitting the different part of muscle and 'you can't' ....well whatever you believe you just did 90 reps regardless.

1/2 more sets going up in weight but hit your reps and keep form.

DONKEY CALF RAISES

you might feel a dick but afterwards you get to climb on to your training partner from behind ,lol. Make the wood or bodge you raise off has enough depth for you to go down without the wood flipping up.

We used to do this holding onto a bar in the rack or on the smith

[Pumping iron is right, it is better with two girls]

4/5 sets aiming around 20 reps.

Then aiming more from the slow twitch muscle fibres in most peoples soleus we used the plate loaded seated calf M/C and went for 4/5 sets .

10 Reps down to grinding out 6 ,very slow neg ad brief held contraction [until you can't] then Rest pause your final 2 rep those last 2 sets you can't hit the 6.

Frequency ,well Arnie did them ED ,they are designed to handle you walking 100s of miles looking for a tiger to wrestle with and eat so TBH you could go ED but honest but with time constraints then EOD with exercise order occasional mixed up....if you must.

I don't believe two days EW week let alone 1 day is enough for small fast recovering muscle that is lacking.

At least try,volume and frequency wise allowing try it as often as possible, they will not get worse.

That's the difference mate I have real high arches so much so had to invest in some trainers that stopped my extreme calf pumps / shin spints when walking

They were slowly murdering my shins and my soul :)
"Shin splints.....murdered my soul" .

Good BBin youtube warning title like  "steroids ruined my marriage and made me sell my guitar"  "DNP made me yellow ,hot and my brain swell' 

Cheers lads.

@ethan I'll keep a hold of your protocol too, however I'm limited in gym time currently so squeezing it in is gonna be tricky at the moment, been doing the no weight routine a couple of days now and calves are in perma pump mode. Whether this is going to make a difference or not is yet to be seen, but time will tell.

Cheers lads.

@ethan I'll keep a hold of your protocol too, however I'm limited in gym time currently so squeezing it in is gonna be tricky at the moment, been doing the no weight routine a couple of days now and calves are in perma pump mode. Whether this is going to make a difference or not is yet to be seen, but time will tell.
That will work if your calves respond easy mate ,that's how mine grow then all the hard work will account for about 20% more vs BW increase.

TBH I only started hitting them harder way back cause my quads/hams get big easily......hope they still do,,,,

That will work if your calves respond easy mate ,that's how mine grow then all the hard work will account for about 20% more vs BW increase.

TBH I only started hitting them harder way back cause my quads/hams get big easily......hope they still do,,,,
Cheers Ethan. To be fair i could probably count on my fingers the amount of times I've done direct calve work. So I'll try this and if nothing's doing then I'll move onto a more focussed routine.

Cheers

Back