Just Squats For Leg Development?

you could do worse than just 1 set of 20 medium stance squats. i'd deadlift as well though which will bring on quads and hamstrings especially too.

I think the key question is what are you or anyone else considering their "leg day" aspiring to.

Do you intend to grow a huge set of wheels or are you after a nice set of thighs more akin to a footballer?

Either or is fair enough but if it's a big set of wheels then be realistic....5 sets of 5, 1 set of 20 ie that's your only direct set of leg work isn't going to cut.

Before anyone says it my comments above exclude the genetic elite.

i'd also be astounded if anyone doing GVT for squat, deadlift, bench and OHP didnt develop a good physique. assuming food and rest are sorted properly too.

Right sorry guys, haven't had any time to reply here, so basically I'm not looking to get a big set of legs... Just some athestically pleasing akin to a foot baller etc... I have no injuries etc and am currently squatting with very good form deep, this is because Iv dropped the weight and basically started again.

My current routine is

Squats
Straight leg deadlifts
Weighted lunges
Leg raises
Leg press

I just don't seem to be getting anywhere, that's why I was proposing to ditch everything bar squats in thinking that they were best for overall leg gains

What sort of reps and sets does a session with those exercises look like?

Well I did legs today.. So warmed up with 2 X 10 lightweight squats

Then did..
Squats 5x5, finished with 2x failure (not absolute)
5x5 straight leg DL
4 sets of walking weighted lunges
4 sets of jumping lunges (alternating legs on landing)
Then finished with 5x5 iso leg press, basically seperate legs not together

Another benefit with squats is that it'll save you time in the gym. It'll take you half the time to do 10 sets of hammys and quads doing squats, compared to doing leg extensions and curls

Back