Wrist strapping for bag work

Irish Beast

I often see that  this is recommended for hanging bag work but my knowledge of it is limited. I don't tend to have wrist issues, even on the heavy bags but when I become fatigued my hits become a bit sloppy and the last thing I need right now is a wrist injury!

What is the strapping that I need? Is it something specific? Are there straps that can be re-used

@warmachine - Perhaps you could recommend?

I often see that  this is recommended for hanging bag work but my knowledge of it is limited. I don't tend to have wrist issues, even on the heavy bags but when I become fatigued my hits become a bit sloppy and the last thing I need right now is a wrist injury!

What is the strapping that I need? Is it something specific? Are there straps that can be re-used

@warmachine - Perhaps you could recommend?
I had cheap ones you wrap around for when on bag or pads.

Were like

Cheers pal.

I'm not a proper fighter until I've had at least 10 pints of Stella! Will pop into sports direct next week. Can't go far wrong for 3 quid!

Hand wraps mate will help protect all hand bones and wrist support. Deffo needed if giving heavy bag a pasting if also suggest 16oz gloves mate if you aren't already using at your size

Good online guides about how to wrap hands up mate just google it those ones Danny put up will do. Longer the better and don't wrap too tight

Hand wraps mate will help protect all hand bones and wrist support. Deffo needed if giving heavy bag a pasting if also suggest 16oz gloves mate if you aren't already using at your size

I have no idea what weight my gloves are. They were just cheap things from Sports direct but they are light and take impact well. Since I started doing bag work I have so much more respect for professional boxers as its the most physically straining thing I have done! I tried the routine that someone suggested here a while back which basically involves 3 short sessions. You're supposed to do a minute of each but I can only manage 30 seconds at a push!

30 seconds of light jabs just loosening up

30 second of 'riding the bike' essentially very close jabs while lifting legs alternatively off the ground. Hard to explain

30 seconds of knockout punches. This is the bit that kills me and I worry about getting injured!

Never really used hand wraps, just 16oz gloves with tight wrist straps. Then again don't hit bags or pads hard just doing it for cardio/hand speed. Is this a good thing or not?

Back