xreps

cyborg

Elite Member
read recently bout xrep or something like that, this is most likely old news to most of you but

basically you do your reps as per norm, when cant do any more, start to do pulses (quick partial reps) at the semi or fully stretched position where muscle can excert most force eg after doing reclined DB curls for bis and cannot comeplete another full rep, curl db up to almost 90 degrees from fully stretched

supposed to be about keeping the blood trapped or something as equally strange

gave it ago today and it certainly gives a good pump (i have trouble getting and maintaining a pump sometimes - cue the jokes)

did it for shoulders and seemed good

also can do these pulses between full reps called DXO or something.

anyway, seems ok.

i do them for lateral raises, but usually start off with them doing the first half of the movement with a much heavier weight, then drop the weight and do the full movement.

i suppose the way i do it is a big like pre exausting.

Saw a guy doing these today on inline bench (without a spotter to boot - rather him than me :blink: ) so thought would ask him about em..

Seems to like them like cyborg said for the pump it gives him, said on his heavy sets he doesnt get much of a pump from the 6-8 heavy reps so does these at end to get as much blood in as can, also said has helped his chest get a bit fuller though Im not sure if he means all the time or just when has done this

I guess there are some exercises this would be safe and good to do with..Cant really say I'd do them on a bench or when squatting lol

i did shoulders and tris on sun afternoon

shoulders are ok, i dont really think i perfected the xrep technique for them but holy shit, my poor fcuking tris man

this is tue night and im still incredibly sore, if i push myself outta my seat using the desk at work its makes me wince a bit and damn sore to flex them.

for tris did push downs 4 x 10, after each set did xreps to failure (only bout 5-8reps, i'd say about 1/2 of a full rep - not fully up nor fully extended)

then 4 x 10 o/h extensions using a 25kg DB (i'd normally use around 37.5-42) and did same xrep after each set, only manage between 5-8 again)

on tris i went lighter than i normally would for both exercises if not, id never have been able to do xreps so maybe there is something to it

gonna keep on for rest of body with lighter weightd and see. definately get a good pump, which i dont always find with the heavy weights.

did back with this method but found it bit ackward so will need more work.

did chest and bis, seems to have worked well. good pump, real sore in both groups (its two days after now) again went much lighter than would normally use (22.5 kg dbs for chest press instead of around 37.5-50kg and 12.5-15kg for bis instead of 20-27.5kg) so thats good. definately feel it.

legs next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back