"deep" Thinking

Do you mean more his writing style didn't draw you in? If so I know where you are coming from but I persevered with it because IMO there is gold dust in there. Did find it hard going to read though - is it maybe because it is transcripts of spoken seminars (I assume, reads like it) or maybe English isn't his first language, something like that? Whatever it is I think I know what you mean, I had to work at it rather than falling into the page as I normally do when reading stuff.

As a contrast I found "Awareness" a very enjoyable read-found it quite blunt and to the point, cut through the waffle.

Do you mean more his writing style didn't draw you in? If so I know where you are coming from but I persevered with it because IMO there is gold dust in there. Did find it hard going to read though - is it maybe because it is transcripts of spoken seminars (I assume, reads like it) or maybe English isn't his first language, something like that? Whatever it is I think I know what you mean, I had to work at it rather than falling into the page as I normally do when reading stuff.
It's hard to put into words, but along those lines. I just can't get on his wavelength

I have junked loads of stuff mate.
Haven't even noticed it's gone.
In fact, I couldn't tell you what I've junked - it wasn't needed and is therefore so irrelevant it has slipped my mind.
As mental as it sounds, I am down to three plates, cups, glasses, forks, spoons, knives in the kitchen - in case I ever have two visitors around.
Garden will be stripped in the summer - everything is going apart from the decking, table and chairs.
Don't throw everything away, come the zombie apocalypse you'll be fucked, standing around in your boxers with your 12 quid phone wondering why you got rid of that axe pmsl!

Some good stuff in here, really got me thinking.

My state/frame of mind frustrates me but i don't know how to change it. I'll knowingly waste hours doing inane rubbish, all the while thinking i should be doing something more productive or valuable. Time wasted should have been spent with the kids etc. Even though i know it, i don't do anything about it...

I hear that bro!

I've lead a rather relaxed life for the last few years, rental income, wife on a good salary & the odd cash job here & there. Still I look back and think I've wasted my time. I've been able to train in the day, rather than after work at rush hour, walk the dogs for as long as I want and read whatever I wanted. Instead of thinking I'm a failure and unsuccessful I should see that I am the Fisherman. Well for now at least.

I hear that bro!

I've lead a rather relaxed life for the last few years, rental income, wife on a good salary & the odd cash job here & there. Still I look back and think I've wasted my time. I've been able to train in the day, rather than after work at rush hour, walk the dogs for as long as I want and read whatever I wanted. Instead of thinking I'm a failure and unsuccessful I should see that I am the Fisherman. Well for now at least.
Sounds like your making it to me bruh

An area i'm interested in but my opinion is split really.

I am less bothered than most about possessions and find happiness mainly in non material things. I try not to get bogged down in negativity (dont use any social media except this site and try to stay clear of other external sources of negativity- people, things on tv etc) and try to look for the silver lining in things where i can.

On the flip side i cant stand the whole 'i'm awake, you're not' pity type of attitude that seems prevalent. It's very much on par with the condescending attitude of some of the more religious people. Just to add not seen any of that attitude in this thread but plenty of it if look at some philosophy forums etc.

I think it can also take away peoples drive/motivation in life. Eg when you get to the point that money and personal possessions are not the path to happiness then what need is there to work, or improve your standard of living by working a bit harder? Take a look at the fisherman story- it's a bit of a false perception (if taken literally although i do actually agree with the moral behind it), the fisherman doesnt need to make more money because he's happy already. He has a little house or hut or whatever on the beach, the weather is lovely, the days are relaxed, and very much stress free other than providing food for his family which seems an easy task.

I know it's not meant literally but even taking the moral of being happy rather than focusing on other peoples perceptions of if youve succeeded or if you have a bigger car than the jonesies etc- is it possible to do this without striving for a half decent income which may involve stress and less free time to pursue the things you enjoy doing?

If work, money, and other peoples perceptions of your success are irrelevant then what's to stop you quitting working, living off the state and spending your time pursuing happiness? (which should be possible in theory as not striving for material things).

If you do the above and go down this route then obviously you are going to be in the lower percentile of income and by default (generally) live in areas with a higher crime rate and poorer standards of schooling if have kids. Can you be happy if youre worried about getting robbed, property damaged or being jumped whenever you walk down your street?

If you have kids would you not worry about setting them up for a better life with a better education by living in a better area with better schools? Or is this irrelevant and just an example of the trap the people 'sleeping through life' fall into? But if you would like to improve the area you live then surely you need to suck it up and perhaps have to sacrifice certain things?

The above is just thinking out loud. As i said i like a lot of the sentiment behind de mello and tolle et al i just think that the many of the people who preach about this stuff the most are trying to convince themselves as much as anyone else that they are on the right path. The vast majority also find this enlightenment when they are pretty comfortable financially or have very little responsibilities other than looking after themselves.

@RS contradicts the above (afaik from other posts ive read) but im talking in a general sense.

All in all i think some of the stuff is really beneficial (the headspace app is great imo) but on the flip side i think there's also a bit of a pressure to 'get it'. Many people dont want to admit a lot of this stuff sounds like their mate dave does on an acid trip. Are the people who gravitate towards this area (ie the meaning of life or happiness) some of the most unhappy people looking to fill a void that might not be there in other people who live similar lives, seek no reasons, and yet are.....overall....happy?

An area i'm interested in but my opinion is split really.

I am less bothered than most about possessions and find happiness mainly in non material things. I try not to get bogged down in negativity (dont use any social media except this site and try to stay clear of other external sources of negativity- people, things on tv etc) and try to look for the silver lining in things where i can.

On the flip side i cant stand the whole 'i'm awake, you're not' pity type of attitude that seems prevalent. It's very much on par with the condescending attitude of some of the more religious people. Just to add not seen any of that attitude in this thread but plenty of it if look at some philosophy forums etc.

I think it can also take away peoples drive/motivation in life. Eg when you get to the point that money and personal possessions are not the path to happiness then what need is there to work, or improve your standard of living by working a bit harder? Take a look at the fisherman story- it's a bit of a false perception (if taken literally although i do actually agree with the moral behind it), the fisherman doesnt need to make more money because he's happy already. He has a little house or hut or whatever on the beach, the weather is lovely, the days are relaxed, and very much stress free other than providing food for his family which seems an easy task.

I know it's not meant literally but even taking the moral of being happy rather than focusing on other peoples perceptions of if youve succeeded or if you have a bigger car than the jonesies etc- is it possible to do this without striving for a half decent income which may involve stress and less free time to pursue the things you enjoy doing?

If work, money, and other peoples perceptions of your success are irrelevant then what's to stop you quitting working, living off the state and spending your time pursuing happiness? (which should be possible in theory as not striving for material things).

If you do the above and go down this route then obviously you are going to be in the lower percentile of income and by default (generally) live in areas with a higher crime rate and poorer standards of schooling if have kids. Can you be happy if youre worried about getting robbed, property damaged or being jumped whenever you walk down your street?

If you have kids would you not worry about setting them up for a better life with a better education by living in a better area with better schools? Or is this irrelevant and just an example of the trap the people 'sleeping through life' fall into? But if you would like to improve the area you live then surely you need to suck it up and perhaps have to sacrifice certain things?

The above is just thinking out loud. As i said i like a lot of the sentiment behind de mello and tolle et al i just think that the many of the people who preach about this stuff the most are trying to convince themselves as much as anyone else that they are on the right path. The vast majority also find this enlightenment when they are pretty comfortable financially or have very little responsibilities other than looking after themselves.

@RS contradicts the above (afaik from other posts ive read) but im talking in a general sense.

All in all i think some of the stuff is really beneficial (the headspace app is great imo) but on the flip side i think there's also a bit of a pressure to 'get it'. Many people dont want to admit a lot of this stuff sounds like their mate dave does on an acid trip. Are the people who gravitate towards this area (ie the meaning of life or happiness) some of the most unhappy people looking to fill a void that might not be there in other people who live similar lives, seek no reasons, and yet are.....overall....happy?

I think insecure types can be drawn towards such ideologies because, like you ve pointed out, it gives them an ego boost and allows them to think that they are in some way superior to others. I've met a few people like this and it usually goes "I used to be muscly and strong like you, probably a bit bigger (aren't they always) but then I became awakened and enlightened and turned into a fat lazy bastard". They clearly have not or they wouldn't want to be reaffirming to me why they look the way they look.

Escaping from the ego and your identity or at least trying to is important but often such people have merely swapped one identity for another and a new way to compare and compete against others.

Like all things I think the ideas can be taken to extremes but I suppose for me it's about remembering the message whilst somewhat still integrating with society.

Reactions: Dig
Back