Upper/overall Chest Mass

Can you guys give any tips on building upper/overall chest mass?

For the last two years I have done Decline Barbell Bench Press and my lower pecs have grown but I'm struggling to build my upper chest. I have just switched to DBs and going into BB Incline afterwards.

I also am struggling to build the 'gap' between my pecs, at the moment it's a pretty deep hole (no lols intended!) - anything you can recommend?

Thanks
H

The gap between your pecs?

Believe it or not, I find decline to be great for upper and over all chest development.

Why not try ore exhausting your chest prior to hitting the heavy compounds?

Agree with @doink to a point... Just building the chest as a whole using a variety of exercises, getting stronger with perfect form. That's said - since improving my incline press significantly I have noticed greater development in the upper chest, however I have got a lot leaner at the same time so it may just be that I can actually see the separation.

Do people who just do incline just have a big upper chest? I don't think so

Will grow according to genetics.

I think the reason why improving your incline has the effect is because you've added new stimulus and you've grown accordingly. No different to had you brought up another press.

Hit the chest hard from different angles and eat to grow, same as any other muscle

Decline activates more overall muscle fibres and imo is the better pressing movement.
Concentrat on building your overall chest and the upper , lower and centre split will come.

see i was always of the opinion you cant separate areas of the muscle..will only contract as a whole right? its either contracting or it aint!

but the last few weeks if ive done chest with only inclines eg

INC DB
INC BB
machine fly sitting low so arms are high

and although my whole chest is still sore, i can feel my upper chest has more DOMs than usual. make of that what you will though!

Thanks everyone, will use some of these suggestions in my next workout and see where it gets me.

Guillotine definitely looks fun on the shoulders!

A little tip on decline and probably the reason some people get fuck all out of them.
Lower to the nipple line NOT to your mid ab line like so many do!
You need to stretch the pectorals and if you lower it to the mid ab line it will not do that.

I actually rate heavy and deep flies for chest size.
Especially for guys that are delt dominant such as my self.

A little tip on decline and probably the reason some people get fuck all out of them.
Lower to the nipple line NOT to your mid ab line like so many do!
You need to stretch the pectorals and if you lower it to the mid ab line it will not do that.

I actually rate heavy and deep flies for chest size.
Especially for guys that are delt dominant such as my self.

Ive tried declines so many times over the years as, well mechanically they just mimic the function of the pec perfectly dont they... but in reality everytime i do them.. no matter how wide/close i grip or where i lower the bar, i feel it mainly in my triceps? Really struggle to find a good groove with them!

My delts over power chest too and yeah flyes are easier to take out the shoulders for sure!

Got to agree with Con on this one,i have stayed away from benching for a few years as i feel it hits the front delts a tad plus for me i just dont feel it as opposed to dummbells.
Genetics will play a big part but as long as you put all your effort in.....squeeze,tut,high reps..low reps.

Providing you have the mobility - Reverse grip bench press with a wider grip than shoulder width will target the upper pectorials.

Reactions: Con
Back