Fitness kitchen - feed your body

Lou

Competitor
Welcome to the Fitness Kitchen!

A place where you can get new ideas to spice up your food - and hopefully encourage athletes to be a little more experimental in the kitchen.

It is the aim to bring you interesting, sometimes flamboyant, but often simple easy to tackle recipes that contain the necessary nutrients that our lifestyles demand.

Wherever possible the recipes will have the necessary nutritional information and hints on how you can adapt it for your protein, carb and fat needs.

As users of the recipes FEEDBACK is always appreciated.

I hope you will be frequent visitors or even better subscribe to the thread to get your RECIPE OF THE DAY!.
Bon Appetit :beer:

Lou XX

Fitness kitchen - feedback thread

Fire away!

Tell me what you like/dislike about the recipes posted.

Have you adapted a recipe? Share it!

Whatever you have to say about cooking, recipes, adaptations you have made then please post.

If there is some foodstuff you like but can't find a recipe for it - post it up I will have a look and see what I can find.

It's good to share! :cool::cool:

Lou XX

I have a LOT of recipes for Chicken... and Steak is great just as it is...

What i always struggle with is recipes for lean minced beef... I live on a beef farm and the farmer often brings round kilos of minced beef for us and beyond chilli and spag bol I am rubbish at coming up with good ways to use it though... If you have any recipes that involve mince I'd love to hear 'em!

What i always struggle with is recipes for lean minced beef... I live on a beef farm and the farmer often brings round kilos of minced beef for us and beyond chilli and spag bol I am rubbish at coming up with good ways to use it though... If you have any recipes that involve mince I'd love to hear 'em!

The Turkey burger and meatloaf recipes in my recipe thread can be adapted to use lean beef mince.

Probably a bit of a long shot Lou, but would you have a recipe that would make something akin to CNP pro dessert? But cheaper obviously?

I have been using quark, with a few drops of the MP flavour drops, but it isn't quite the same.

Reactions: Lou
Same with the mince ^^ .. Its so cheap and easy but im getting sick of chilli, tried to eat cold mince and veg in gravy at work the other day and it was horrible.

Ps. Sulik did you get some pics of your new place up? Sorry if im de-railing the thread.

Probably a bit of a long shot Lou, but would you have a recipe that would make something akin to CNP pro dessert? But cheaper obviously?

I have been using quark, with a few drops of the MP flavour drops, but it isn't quite the same.

RS I will give it shot....watch this space.

Reactions: RS

101 ways with mince coming up I'll make it a priority. :)

OK I have to start the thread with something so I am transferring some of the recipes I put up on UKM to this more worthy site....but rest assured the mince recipes are on their way.

RECIPE OF THE DAY: NIGELLA'S PRAISED CHICKEN, HALLELUJAH!

I wish I could claim credit for this dish. It is just perfect and will sit well in the bodybuilders cooking repetoire, in its simplest form its chicken and vegetables in one pot.

This recipe is a real favourite with my family and I have made it often. It never fails to please and is simple to execute with stunning results. The flavours are delicate and this dish is best served with basmati rice and if you believe in anything Nigella expounds then you will have a dollop of English mustard on the side.

Ingredients:
1 large chicken
2 teaspoons garlic oil
100ml hite wine or dry vermouth (OPTIONAL)
2-3 leeks cut into 7cm logs
4 carrots peeled and cut ino batons
2 celery sticks sliced
2 litres of water
1 bouquet garni
Fresh parsley stalks banded together
2 teaspoons salt flakes OR 1 teaspoon cooking salt
2 teaspoons red peppercorns or good black peppercorns
To Serve
Chopped parsley
Chopped fresh dill
English mustard
Basmati rice

Method

Get out a large, flame-safe cooking pot (with a lid) in which the chicken can fit snugly: mine is about 28cm wide x 10cm deep.

On a washable board, un-truss the chicken, put it breast-side down and press down until you hear the breastbone crack. (As you may imagine, I like this.) Then press down again, so that the chicken is flattened slightly. Now cut off the ankle joints below the drumstick (but keep them); I find kitchen scissors up to the task.

Put the oil in the pan to heat, then brown the chicken for a few minutes breast-side down, and turn up the heat and turn over the chicken, tossing in the feet as you do so. Still over a vigorous heat add the wine or vermouth to the pan and let it bubble down a little before adding the leeks, carrots and celery.

Pour in enough cold water to cover the chicken, though the very top of it may poke out, then pop in the bouquet garni or your herbs of choice, and the parsley stalks (if I have a bunch, I cut the stalks off to use here, but leave them tied in the rubber band) or parsley sprigs

The chicken should be almost completely submerged by now and if not, do add some more cold water. You want it just about covered.

Bring to a bubble, clamp on the lid, turn the heat to very low and leave to cook for 1½–2 hours. I tend to give it 1½ hours, or 1 hour 40 minutes, then leave it to stand with the heat off, but the lid still on, for the remaining 20–30 minutes.

Serve the chicken and accompanying vegetables with brown basmati rice, adding a ladleful or two of liquid over each shallow bowl, as you go, and putting fresh dill and mustard on the table for the eaters to add as they wish.

RECIPE OF THE DAY: COCONUT RICE

Rice is an essential staple in any bodybuilders diet.

How do you eat yours? Boiled, steamed, fried? Do you sometimes feel rice could do with a little something other than a stock cube to add taste?

Here's a simple recipe for coconut rice remember that when eating this your essential fats will already be in your meal so no extra fats!
thumbup.gif

Ingredients:

200mls Coconut milk
Juice of 3 limes
350gr Basmati rice OR Thai Jasmine rice

Method:

Put the rice in the saucepan with the lime juice and coconut milk
Add enough water to just cover the rice, bring to the boil.
Simmer for 5 minutes.

Place the lid on the pan and leave for 15 minutes. When cooked fluff the rice with a fork.

Serve with your favorite chicken, beef, or fish dish.

Bon Apetit

RECIPE OF THE DAY - MIXED VEGETABLE CURRY

Even when we have to watch what we eat as bodybuilders - food need not be 'boring' I have read numerous threads and dare I say it mostly from the guys on this forum that they need recipe ideas to 'pep' their food up a little. So as and when I can I will put up recipes that will fit the bill - nutrious and delicious with little or no impact on serious diet regimes.

Recipes from the great chefs adapted to bodybuilding requirements, twists on old classics, new ideas, wholesome but flavoursome.

1. Vegetables seem to be a bit of a sore point among the male populas, but their devotion to curry goes without saying. Men and curry are synonymous....ask a guy what he ate after a pub crawl it'll inevitably be 'curry'. However we are bodybuilders with nutritional requirements humhum
lol.gif

The recipe below will serve 4 persons as a meal but the hungry bodybuilder will no doubt have it as a side dish to chicken and rice to pep it up a little.

This particular recipe has its origins in Goa and is made traditionally by Hindu's as they are vegetarians. OK food history lesson over...LETS COOK!

Mixed Vegetable Curry

2 Onions
4 tablespoons of oil (Groundnut (Peanut) oil)
1 cup (250mls) grated coconut
6 dried red chillies
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
4 cloves
10 peppercorns
2 inch cinnamon stick
1/2teaspoon mustard seeds
1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (optional) This spice is said to help relieve wind ;)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 bay leaf
1 blade mace
1lb of mix vegetables of your choice ( carrots, green beans caulifower peas) yams sweet potatoe beans or potao can also be added
Salt
1 teaspoon lime OR lemon juice

Method

Chop 1 onion finely and slice the other

Put 1 tablespoon of the oil into a non-stick frying pan, add the grated coconut and saute for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside in a bowl

Put the red chillies and coriander seeds into the same saucepan. After 3 minutes add the cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add to the coconut bowl.

In a blender puree the coconut roatsed spices and sliced onion adding 1/2cup (125mls) water.

Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. After a minute add the bay leaf and chopped onion and fry for 20-25 minutes or until the onion is browned. Add the spice mix and the mace and fry for a further 10-12 minutes. Pour in 3 cups (750mls) of water, add salt to taste and mix well

Now add the vegetables in order of cooking time.

Cook uncovered over a low heat until the vegetables are tender. Then add the lime or lemon juice.

Bon Apetit

Lou​

RECIPE OF THE DAY: SALADE NICOISE - A FRENCH CLASSIC
While the weather may call for warming soups, hearty stews and steamed puddings in the normal world, some of us have to make do with chicken, tuna, steak, eggs, salads and veggies ALL year round.

But how can you make salads more inviting to eat? In this instance by turning to a French Classic Salade Nicoise. This may be a somewhat 'kitch' dish popularised in the 70's but it offers bodybuilders and athletes alike a 'hearty' filling salad option with all the required nutrients.

I have though modified the vinagrette as I feel that 9 tablespoons of EVOO is a little too much a good thing.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb (450 g) small new potatoes
  • 1 lb green beans
  • 3 tomatoes cut into wedges
  • mixture of a few salad leaves (ready to eat salad leaves would be a quick option)
  • 4 spring onions chopped
  • hard boiled eggs, 1 per person, in quarters
  • tin of chunks of tuna (fresh tuna cooked and cooled works well)
  • 4 anchovies chopped
Vinaigrette: serve on the side for people to help themselves
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, smashed with salt until paste
  • Pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions
Prepare the the potatoes in their skins and the beans by boiling them.
Cut the potatoes into small chunks.
Mix in the spring onions and beans.
Lay out the salad leaves in a large shallow bowl then put in the spring onion and bean mix
Place the tuna on the top in the center of the salad topped with the anchovies with the tomato and eggs as the outer coating.
Whisk the vinaigrette and pour over the salad OR serve on the side.

RECIPE OF THE DAY: PANCAKES - HEALTHY OPTIONS
With 'Pancake Day' looming large it is time to take a look at pancakes! I don't know one person who does not like pancakes.

How do you like yours? Thick and stodgy, American, thin/normal or the superthin crepe......
However you like them you need recipes to make them, however being health conscious bodybuilders we have to look at alternatives to over processed white/bleached flour, fat content etc.....

So here are three recipes, healthy American (is there such a thing?
lol.gif
), regular and wheat free.

Healthy American
4 servings
150gr whole grain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
250ml skimmed milk
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon canola oil
20 gr flaxseed meal

Method

In a bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, salt, flaxseed meal and baking soda.
In a separate large bowl, beat together egg whites, milk, vanilla and canola oil.
Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture and mix until smooth.
Lightly grease a griddle or frying pan with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat. Pour or scoop approximately ¼ of the batter for each pancake onto pan or griddle.
Brown on both sides!

Nutritional Information* (serving size = 1 pancake)

Calories 204
Protein 11g
Fat 6g
Saturated Fat .5 g
Sugar .5 g

Buckwheat Pancakes Wheat and Gluten Free Pancakes.

This pancake recipe is made with buckwheat the name is misleading as this flour is completely wheat and gluten free. Buckwheat is a member of the rhubarb family, it is a triangular black seed which is milled to make the flour. It is a traditional food in Russia and Northern China. OK Food history lesson over lets have a recipe!

Ingredients

1 large free range egg
250ml semi skimmed milk
125ml water
1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
Oil for frying (try rapeseed oil as it has half the saturated fat of olive oil)

Fresh fruit to serve

Method

1. Whisk the flour, egg and milk together until you have a smooth paste.
2. Whisk in the water and yoghurt to make a smooth batter. If you want to make lighter 'crepes' then add a little extra water at this point to make a thinner batter.
3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan and swirl around to cover the base.
4. Add enough batter to cover the base of the pan, tilting to spread evenly and fry until golden underneath and then turn or flip gently and fry on the other side until golden and cooked through.
5. Top with your favourite fruit and drizzle over a natural syrup such as Agave Nectar.
Tip to add extra protein, mix up a flavoured blended protein such as CNP Propeptide to a paste and add as a topping.

Regular but Healthy Pancakes

Serves 4

2 Eggs
225gr Wholewheat flour
500ml Skimmed Milk
1/2 tsp salt

Method

Add all ingredients to a blender and hit the ON button blend until all ingredients are well mixed.....

Heat a good non-stick pan and spray with 1kcal spray when the pan is slightly smoking add enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan....

Cook both sides and if you are a real cooking genius you should be able to flip the pancake without using a spatula
cool2.gif

While you are cookingyour batch to keep the pancakes warm wrap them in foil and vover with a teatowel.

To serve add traditional lemon and splenda or topping of your choice of course Icecream is always a favourite....BUT ONLY on cheat days
lol.gif
biggrin.gif
lol.gif

Bon Apetit

Lou

RECIPE OF THE DAY: BANANA BANANA BREAD

Bananas have to be one of the most used carb sources around...quick carbs of course.

However, how many times have you left your bananas on the fruit bowl too long and either wondered what to do with them or just binned them.....what a waste of good food
whistling.gif

This recipe is for a banana bread, its a really moist, nicely textured loaf and the flavour is to die for and best of all it uses up those over ripe unwanted bananas. It is really straight forward and any kitchen newbie can make this.

Banana Banana Bread

INGREDIENTS
250gr plain flour (wholemeal is optional)
5gr Bicarb of Soda
5gr Baking powder
2gr Salt
115gr butter
110gr muscavado sugar
2 eggs
525gr VERY ripe mashed bananas

METHOD

Preheat your oven to 170C. Grease a loaf tin and line the bottom and ends with greaseproof paper....it'll be easier to remove the loaf from the tin after cooking.

I a large bowl, combine the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt. In a seperate bowl cream together the sugar and the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time then add the mashed bananas. Gradually mix in the flour mixture with a metal spoon until thoroughly mix. Pour into your prepared loaf tin.

Bake in the oven for 60-65 minutes or until an iserted knife or skewer comes out clean. Leave the bread to cool in the tin before tutning it out onto a wire rack.

It is excellent toasted.....

Nutritional Info:

Servings 12
Calories 229 per slice
Total Fat 8.8gr
Total Carbs 34.8gr
Protein 3.8gr

Back